Hay or haylage and field feeder - help please!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Two things:
Firstly, should I put out hay or haylage for Joe and Storm when the grass is low?
Secondly, where can I buy a feeder thingy? You know, a bit like the sheep ones? Any recommendations?
Reason I ask is they are starting to hooly around out of boredom - there is practically no grass at all on their paddock and they've ruined the other one - and I can't get the fencer to come until next month - and its not an option to just use electric tape at the moment (reasons I won't go into).
Thanks guys:)

we used to put big, round bales out for bonnie and toby. Couldn't afford a feeder so i'd sit the bale on it's (flat) end and cut off the top 1/3rd to 1/2 of the wrapping. So they could eat from the top but the wrapping at the bottom held the bale together :)

So you think they'd be ok on haylage? I read somewhere that it was bad news if the haylage got wet - could breed germs? or is that just when its bailed badly? I can get hay - so was wondering if that might be better for them (they are still dieting too - tho I know the field is verging on starvation - and don't want to do more harm them going hungry for long periods)

sorry! i should have said we fed hay. Haylage used to be fed by big round bale on our old yard but was always replaced after 2-3 days. Yes, if haylage isn't baled properly you risk problems. I find it sends mine loopy so we stick to hay.

I think you'd probably be better off with hay rather than haylage. Simply because hay will last you so much longer and as you only have the 2 horses you could easily be wasting alot of haylage if you are buying in larger bales.

Yes, I think I'll get some hay - tho I believe the price has gone up a bit? But it should last quite a while - our two don't tend to gobble it as quickly as haylage.

newrider.com