Having a horse, such a huge subject...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Been thinking (again:eek::eek:) and it really is a huge thing this horse ownership. By that, I mean there are so many potentials to get wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a worrier to the extent where it spoils my time with horses, but in thinking about buying another later this year perhaps, I have to say there is much that OH and I could get wrong. For instance, we bought our pair off people that we knew and respected within the horse world - and they taught us much about them and both horses to a certain degree we knew all about their pasts. I do think that its going to be a challenge next time, and I do worry that we'll only have the old onwners word for it on quite a bit! (Hope this makes sense). I guess thats why I'd always have them checked over by the vet - would always have the 5 stage vetting now - after reading on so many things that could give trouble later on.
Sorry - just rambling, but I wondered if you all felt like it was a huge thing - or felt confident enough to know what to spot and what to look for?
For example, would you know enough to realise that the horse wasn't suited to being ridden in a bit - or what type of bit?

I felt this was a massive step for my family. I was 32 when I bought Joy 3 years ago, she's my first horse.

After a while I got used to it and tried to put things into context by reasoning that I didn't go through half as much worry and thought when we decided to try for a family! :D

Thinking back, when I first thought about having another horse again in my life, it was exciting. But, I had sleepless nights thinking what a huge commitment it was. Having one as an adult is different to having one as a child. You had mum and dad to help and you didn't worry about money, insurance, tack, lessons, livery, twice a day responsibility and all that. You just got on and thought nothing more of it... bliss! Oh and in those days you did not have a BARRAGE of horsey stuff bulging out of magazines. You fed them hay and water and put them in a field. A rug??? What's that?

This time, mum and dad were like "you're on your own sunshine - good luck!". And I bet it's not a hardy lil' plump pony either you've got your eye on!!!

Oh no, the one you fell in love with is 16hh, poo's like an elephant and needs every minute you don't spend earning enough to keep him in luxury...

So, yeah I feel it's a huge thing. However, if I wanted another (in me dreams...) I feel I would know what I was looking for and I feel as though I would have enough people I could call on to help me on my journey if I wanted to go down that road :)

As for bits, well, this changes and develops with the horse and what you do with it so that's on the job learning!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am just trying to cover every eventuality! When we bought our first horses I didn't read too much into the situation (a certain amount of ignorance is bliss!) and I just "got on with it". This time, because I feel I've learnt a little more, I will be looking much harder...........Still, OH keeps telling me not to look for problems where there aren't any! At least this time, I know enough to question the whys and wherefores......eg, I will be questioning things like shoeing, bits, tack etc.

I don't think i've ever had that sort of worry - I suppose I am very lucky.

I was 10 when I got my first pony, and he came from the Sanctuary. My sister got one at the same time (my sister was 7). Although the whole family had been riding fro a number of years, we didn't have any experience of keeping horses. Thankfully the Sanctuary were there every step of the way and gave us endless support.

I am now 39, and have kept horses ever since. All of them have come from that same sanctuary, and I have continued to have their support and help whenever I have needed it (an hopefully this has been repaid in one way or another now!).

If a horse really turns out to be unsuitable it can go back to the sanctuary, but in all those years I have only sent one back.

I see my friends going through the worry of trying loads of ponies, getting them vetted, checking up on what they have been told, and I just think God, I don't think I could do it!

When I look back, we didn't know anything. I like to think now that I've gained enough experience to be able to spot problems, and if not, at least have enough knowledgable friends to help me out :)

Last edited:
newrider.com