Have You Fed Your Horse Anything That's Changed Them Overnight!!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I have want to buy it! Who has a nice docile quiet, calm and relaxed pony that would like maybe a little bit of rocket fuel.:eek:

The product was only bought as a supplement for his feet as he is barefoot, and it can be used as a calmer. Well not this particular one then. He is trotting for England, if i can teach him to kick a ball, he'll score a goal!:D

He's been on it 5 days, maybe it's just my imagination. I'm sort of wondering where the breaks maybe kept, our bridleless sessions are can we walk now, from me that is, instead of the normal come on lets get going.

Perhaps he's just full of the joys os summer?

well .. one of the horses I ride .. Oscar, is usally a big ploddy lazy cob, who is rather unfit, a total gentleman I would actually trust him with my life, and he ends up a big sweaty puddle after about 15 mins work .. his owner got some new hayledge from a diff place .. the next day I rode him in the school and we were just walking round and he tanked of bucking :eek:, his owner actually came running out saying did I actually just see what I think I saw :eek:, he was wired to the moon and wouldn't stop cantering/taking off, and by the end of 45 mins he was still raring to go and wasn't even sticky :eek:

we later found out that this new hayledge was PACKED with suger :rolleyes:, needless to say she never got that hayledge again lol !

It does affect the odd horse that way, but they're very much in the minority. Topspec did the same thing to Rio :D

MEEEEEE!!! My boy went gaga on magox too - joggy-jog on the end of the lead rope, eyes on stalks, seeing monsters everywhere... so much for being a calmer! I put him on it for his bare tootsies but it wasn't worth the change of personality. Took him off it and gradually he came down off his high!!

Look! I even found my old fred about it too...

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202056

I'm going to reduce the amount as he obviously does not need the recommended doze based on his weight.
Will see how we then get on, it's mr jog jog jog.

I thought the only reason to be on magnesium was because he would be deficient.

I'm going to reduce the amount as he obviously does not need the recommended doze based on his weight.
Will see how we then get on, it's mr jog jog jog.

I thought the only reason to be on magnesium was because he would be deficient.

i cant for the life of me find the information on magnesium causing excitedness in some cases.

from what i can find an excess of magnesium can only cause toxicity and is normally excreted in urine.

nothing about it causing the opposite effect in high doses.

the original stuff i read said in low doses it can cause excitedness.

so i would be interested to see if it calms down on a lower dose or not.

it may be its putting the calcium levels out of balance so cal mag may be a better option.

I fed Mr Steven Blue Chip once, he had two "portions" of it and turned into a total hoon - he literally cantered round his box then none-stop gallopped round the field for days, poor thing. He was intolerant to some of the ingredients; can't feed him sugar beet or soya oil either.

so i would be interested to see if it calms down on a lower dose or not.

it may be its putting the calcium levels out of balance so cal mag may be a better option.

From what I can gather if a horse reacts badly to it, then it doesn't matter what the dose is. It may well be some sort of imbalance, but I don't think calcium would be the culprit, if anything it's normally the other way round, and I don't think calcium levels have any impact on behaviour. I wonder if the behaviour changes could be down to gut irritation, or even ulcers?

BTW cal mag doesn't contain any calcium, the cal bit is short for calcined (magnesite) which is the unrefined mineral form of magnesium oxide as far as I'm aware.

Perhaps it's coinicidental that we moved back into our winter field.

This behaviour is so not him, he is normally behind the leg.

Maybe the yearling fillies have caught his eye and he wants to get trim:)

There are no other changes to routine/diet/handling.

newrider.com