have taken my first steps to getting back in the saddle

suzanne7575

Jul 25, 2007
Scotland
I contacted a local riding school yesterday who was recommended to me. It has recently re-opened under new management and is attached to a girls boarding school set in 75 acres of gorgeous scottish countryside, however it also works independedntly from the school so you can just go along and ride without having to have connections with the school.

The owner was lovely and when i explained my history and experience she suggested i take one or two private lessons first as assessment then i could join the adult group classes if i wished, she also said there is plenty opportunities for hacks and shows and to help out with the care of the horses and ponies and helping out with the riding school, which is fab because i want to do that as much as ride.

She invited me to go and visit at any time for a look around which i will do next week and if all is okay I will be having my first lesson a week tomorrow :)

Everything about that sounds positive ..... I like the idea of the inviting you to go along at any time. The chance to help as well as go out hacking and along to shows is really good too :)

Tell us all about it once you have been! :D

Sounds like you might of just found the right place to get back into riding. Please let us know how it goes.

That sounds good - I agree that a couple of private lessons are a good idea so you don't have to worry about anyone else. Let us know how you get on.

It sounds like a wonderful place, Suzanne. I hope all will work out well for you there and that you will love it.

Please post and let us know how it goes, the hanging out and helping as well as your first lesson!

we went for a drive down to find it yeaterday and it is set in beautiful grounds, the riding school is closed until tuesday to give the ponies a break after the summer camp and they were all out in the field and they looked like lovely horses and ponies. The only problem was my daughter who's 3 announced she wanted to ride a pony too so it looks like i will be forking out for her too.

Sounds lovely Suzanne, hope it goes well.

And do do do get into riding together with your wee girlie.

My daughter and I have learned together - at first as you can imagine I was ahead of her, but now- she is doing just great, and I, as an adult beginner, am still very much just that, but I do still love it. She was 8 when we first started and is now 16. She loves it too, and it keeps us the best of friends and she is the one who gives me advice.... which is fantastic for our relationship.

Sounds lovely Suzanne, hope it goes well.

And do do do get into riding together with your wee girlie.

My daughter and I have learned together - at first as you can imagine I was ahead of her, but now- she is doing just great, and I, as an adult beginner, am still very much just that, but I do still love it. She was 8 when we first started and is now 16. She loves it too, and it keeps us the best of friends and she is the one who gives me advice.... which is fantastic for our relationship.

I asked the RS about what age they start at and she said 3 on a leid rein so i think i may just let her have a go, not sure how she will manage though as she is very immature for a 3 year old

Sounds lovely, especially with all that ground to hack on :D

Hope it goes well for you:)

Jenny and Tyler
x

Yaye, how exciting! Bet you can't wait. Thats good that there's opportunity to help out too - I used to love that, where I used to go - I used to linger about after my lesson on a Sunday in the hope that they'd ask me to help!!! I ended up having two lessons a week - and on the mid week one got to "rug up" and give the school horses their tea - lovely! Enjoy!

How exciting it must be to know you are about to get to start riding horses again! I remember when I started back, just over 2 years ago, having been away for just about 25 years.

Even now, every time I go the barn, when I get out of my car and walk across the threshold and breathe in that first breath of sweet stable-scented air, I feel 10 years old all over again, and recall the first time I saw the barn where I first took riding lessons.

I am glad your daughter is going to get to start riding too--3 is such a great age to start, I hear. It may help her mature, too--I hope so. I've enjoyed your and Pepsimaxrock's mother-daughter posts. I myself have never been especially maternal, but when my mother used to take me to watch Pony Club shows when I was a child, I thought, "Someday I'll be the mother and I'll have a daughter with a pony at the shows!" My mother only rode a horse once in her life, but she took me to many shows, and to many barns to ride horses. :)

very excited now, first lesson is on saturday, went for a look around the school the other day and it is lovely, very friendly and informal. There is a nice outdoor sand school plus a jumping field and they are currently building an indoor school too. The horses and ponies look lovely and were really friendly and as well as being able to help out there is an opportunity to compete in both local shows and also they go regularly to the tuesday night showjumping at Dabbs, where you can do clear rounds, novice classes and also trailblazer qualifiers.

newrider.com