Has anyone ever been to Arran or Isle of Mull ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I've just been browsing t'web and found out about this lovely island. So much so I'm considering it for our next holiday, I loved Scotland when we were there and thought it looked just the ticket for a week away.

Has anyone been before ?

If not Arran then I might look at the Isle of Mull.

My grandparents lived on the west coast (Largs) and used to have me and my sister for the summer holidays. We went to Arran three times for week-long holidays staying in self-catering wooden chalets. It was absolutely beautiful - we even had nice weather for it one year :happy: We went to other islands as well but Arran was everyone's favourite.

My best friend has a cottage on Mull, right next to the beach under the cliffs at Gribun, lovely lovely place, we used to lie on the picnic table and watch shooting stars at night.Sitting in bed in the morning watching otters in the bay and the eagles soaring above the cliffs behind the cottage and the peace its just gorgeous. Never been to Arran but have heard out its lovely too.

Arran is lovely. I went twice when I was younger and loved it. I have a friend from Arran too (she is my vet physio friend). Go to Arran!!! I want to go back:biggrin:

Arran is lovely, but it's quite small. We used to rent a cottage just a short ferry ride from Arran to clanoig (sp) in a village just down the road from the terminal over looking the isle of Arran. It's dog friendly and has it's own Beach ( and randomly a grand piano in it!) can pm u the details if of any interest.

I love Arran,it's my favourite place in the world! We used to have holidays on a working farm on the south side of the island when I was little. I'd highly recommend it for a holiday! We usually stay in Lamlash, the Dyemill Lodges are good,may be the wooden chalets joosie was talking about. Ivybank farmhouse & cottages at Kilmory are amazing, that's where we used to go but it's now upmarket holiday rentals rather than a working farm.
If you do decide to go to Arran for a holiday remember to post lots of pics here!

Mull is a lovely place but be advised its west coast so can get a fair bit of rain but if you get the weather the Islands and the Scottish Highlands are a marvelous place with lots of stories and Gaelic names and places the conjure up our turbulent history. Was in the sound of Mull only yesterday on my way to the Scottish pilgrimage to the abbey on Iona. I can die in peace now secure in the knowledge that my place in heaven is secured thats my 3rd visit you need to make 3 according the annuls only problem all the fun seems to happen in hell. If you go you must got to Iona the story of Columb Cille [Gaelic nickname for St Columba] when he came over from Ireland to make christians of the Scots and Picts is fantastic, i have never understood how it has not been turned into a film its boys own stuff.

newrider.com