Has anyone else got zero energy?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
I get up at 6, leave the house at 7 to drive 30 minutes to work. I get home at 5. If I’m lucky I get a 30 minute lunch break, if we are really busy, lunch is toast eaten whilst I work.
Once home I change grab some food, then up to the horses at 5.30. I am home again any time between 7 and 8 depending on weather and whether I ride or not. I may potter about tidying up for a bit, but once I sit down, that’s it...I’m zonked.i can watch tv if it’s something really interesting, or I come on here, or play games on the I pad, but that’s it. I had plans of taking up a new hobby this winter, studying a new language anything to fill the evenings, but I just can’t do it. Bed is at 10.30 and I usually wake a couple of times and take a while to get back.
Is this just the Winter Blues? Anyone else the same at this time of year? I hate it but can’t physically do anything about it.

I used to have to get up early (5.30) every day to leave the house at 7 for work and I'd get back about 6, often later in winter because the traffic tends to be worse. Like you, lunch was a snack eaten at my desk. I didn't have to go and do the horses though - I go over every night to see them but they're already brought in and fed. I had no energy to do anything in the evenings either. Then I reduced my hours to four days a week and work two of them from home, so I don't get up until 7 usually on the days I don't have to go in to work. I can't tell you what a difference it has made not having to do that early start day in day out. I feel normal now - still can't watch TV in the evening without falling asleep unless I'm ironing or something, and I wouldn't want to leave the house again once I've settled in, but I think that's just me (and winter).

I struggle every winter, my body runs on sunlight! I even tried a SAD lamp this winter but haven't noticed much difference.
I'm up at 5, out the door before 6, do the horses and 30 mins to work and at my desk before 7, lunch is always at my desk. Normally I finish at 3 which is nice, but been extra busy lately so been working till 4 or 5 at least 3 days a week. Then back to the horses and home or to see friends, on average I'm out of the house at least 12 hours. Then I begrudgingly cook dinner and am often in bed by 8pm, I live alone so I can get away with it and I'd rather be sung and watch TV there :p I used to always stay up until at least 9, but my sleep patterns were terrible, I could never sleep more than 4 hours and after that was restless, now I'm managing an average of 7 hours.
In summer I'm awake at dawn, out 6am-9pm most days and still have energy to burn when I get home, winter just sucks!

Yes but it’s my PTSD doing it. I’ve been lacking motivation since about October. However I’m trying some things at home to make me feel better .

As a rule yes at this time of year I’m usually struggling, for some odd reason though this year I’ve been totally fine.
I too am up at 5.45 and by the time I sit down in the evening to eat it’s usually about 7.00, I eat at my desk as well which none of us should really and I’m usually nodding off on the sofa by about 8.30 which if you think about it is about right given the time we get up.
I think this year I’ve just stopped feeling bad about it, so what if I fall asleep at 8.30 I’m tired, I’ve had a none stop day, it’s normal.
What I would say thought is if it’s not normal for you it might be worth a trip to your GP just for a check over, it could be something like anaemia or a mild thyroid issue. Or you could simply be working too hard and too long and your body needs a rest, we’ve a lady on our yard who’s mid 70’s she has three ponies to care for and her GP said to her ‘ I know you should keep getting excersise, but there is a difference between excersise and hard labour’ I sometimes think we all push ourselves a little bit more than we realise now and then.

Reactions: Jessey
I seem to have got through the bulk of winter. Now the days are getting longer I'm feeling even more positive. I'm absolutely knackered each day but im working physically every day, through my job and the farm. So energy is low but positivity is good.
Whilst I have to plan ahead to manage the farms seasonal changes. I try really hard not to let it stress and worry me. Taking each day/week as it comes. I cant explain it but by not worrying about next week or the week after, or thinking too long term ahead even though I have to. I have got through the winter. I haven't been as down as I am normally. This week the mornings are now light enough, so I've squeezed in a couple of hacks before work so now I'm feeling revitalized.
Key is to think and be positive.

First winter I've not struggled as much in years and I swear it's down to taking multivitamins. Also I haven't had any colds or anything in months but not sure if that's down to having the flu jab. I really do feel alot better since starting them!

Reactions: orbvalley
@chunky monkey i am always amazed at how much you achieve.

I am up at 0530 walk the dogs go to ponies. Then the gym sat at my desk by nine. At lunch I walk home walk the dogs walk back takes a full hour.

Straight to the yard I ride every night bar Thursdays. Home at eight.

OH cooks we go to bed at ten ish I am awake by 0400 on a good night 0130 on a bad.

But I am loving my life. Walking my dogs is a pleasure and sets me up for the day. Just seeing the ponies makes me realise how lucky I am.

It’s nearky over everyone I can feel it in the air

I have been so tired recently, but the boost of riding Ben again has really picked me up. Owning horses is really hard work in winter, but spring is in the air. The bulbs are coming through and everything is starting to feel more positive.

newrider.com