Hard to catch

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
Hi guys

Does any one have Any tips on how to catch a hard horse, our relationship is fine in the arena or in the yard on hacks but she is so hard to catch, she is quiet a dominant horse in the herd and is very reluctant to leave. 2 hrs in took this morning and it's so bloody frustrating I've tried petting all the horses around her she's not fussed, I don't ride her every time I do catch her some times I just groom and let her back out. It gets extremely worse when she's in season I can't even get near her to scratch or brush her in the field ears go back and she grunts and walks off I follow her and move her on until she finally gets sick and gives in I unfortunately am as stubborn as her and would quite happily follow her around all day until she gives in but surely the must be a better way, earlier in the year we got to the point when she would come to call and follow me out with out a head collar on until she got close to the male horses by the time I catch her I'm exhausted I've done Join up she joins up great it's like she nos I'm in charge on yard but she's in charge in field any help would be appreciated :)

Mine are generally easy to catch - they come up and stick their nose in the headcollar to get a treat - but sometimes Hebe prefers to charge round the field instead. Then I encourage her to charge, by swinging the rope at her, until she's fed up and comes to be caught instead. I don't know if that's a recommended method but it works for me.

But if your horse was good and isn't now, then there must be some reason; has anything changed in her routine - feed, companions, riding, anything? - that could make her reluctant to be caught?

have you tried treats?

When I got my welsh pony he was not easy to catch, he would just walk away, walk away, over and over. so, I turned to treats to get him excited about me (trainer recommended) and now he runs to see me and even when out in the field I can just quietly walk up and get him. I give treats once in a while now for fun. My hubby still has trouble getting him..especially in the field...hubby doesn't do the treat thing so I think it works for us. I think treats (healthy ones) seem like a friendly loving gesture to horses. My new horse had never had treats before we got her, and just gets SO happy to get a carrot or some apple slices. She's easy to 'catch' any way, but still loves a snack now and again.

Hi Lynda

After researching on some techniques driving away by swinging the rope has come up which I will try, the thing is I do follow her and every time she try's to graze I walk towards her until she eventually gives in just she is extremely stubborn and can take a long time I think by using this swinging of the rope perhaps I will show my authority more the only thing that has changed is the presence of a handsome gelding to which she has taken too the swinging method apparently is a kind of Join up in the field only it's a big field although I am quite happy to spend all day doing this as today it took me 1 hr to catch her popped her in stable when to get tack in this time she had escaped from stable jumped back in field to be with this handsome gelding it then took another 1 hr to catch again it has never been that bad before and I was less than amused with this behaviour I thought I would ask advise on this as I don't want this to become a habit she is in season so I understand why she wants to be with this other horse but I feel this needs to be addressed the other option is to leave a head collar on which isn't the greatest solution

J

Jack was always easy to catch until he tried it on one day in the spring. I was so aghast at him walking away from me that I bellowed at him and got his feet moving - blurry fast! He was really confused as he SO thought he had the upper hand but swiftly realised that mum wasn't playing the game and that he was working a LOT harder than me... he soon changed his tune. Tried it a couple more times and each time I made him run faster and harder by swinging the rope and headcollar and shouting.... not done it since! :smug:

Thanks domane

Going to try it tomorrow if I make her move with the rope and being firm how long should I do this for? Until she gives in? I may need to clear my afternoon schedule j

My boy Ziggy is usually ok to catch but when I hadn't had him long he really tried it on, walking away and swinging his bum to me. I made him really shift around that field (a large paddock, 4 acres, he was in with one friend).

It took 20 minutes before he realised that this was very very hard work. He walked over to me and has been a pudding to catch ever since.

My boy Ziggy is usually ok to catch but when I hadn't had him long he really tried it on, walking away and swinging his bum to me. I made him really shift around that field (a large paddock, 4 acres, he was in with one friend).

It took 20 minutes before he realised that this was very very hard work. He walked over to me and has been a pudding to catch ever since.

Something I've done with both of mine in the past too. Works a treat.

I find that spending a week just walking up to the horse, treating then and walking straight off again a few times a day works really well. No sneaking up with the headcollar just walk straight over with it, treat and walk off again. When this was solid i would start putting the head collar on, treating, leaving the paddock and doing the same thing again and again.

Alot of people are way to sneaky and will try and send the horse away but i feel that this is just giving the horses feeling of wanting to be away from you more oomph like letting a horse loose and geeing them up. Why doesnt the horse hang around?

When i first got maya i had noticed in her old home that she would see a head collar or human walking towards as if to catch and she would just calmly walk off. She didnt want to be caught and had built up a habit. She did come over to us but she was sure that we wernt going to catch her and she alway put her self in a place where she could get away.

I took a week off work and spent it changing this behaviour of 'human walking towards me = go away' to 'human walking towards me = food, scratches, play, relaxation etc i will hang around'

Never had any issues since and this was 4 years ago. Catching means nice things to her now and that habit she had of walking off never resurfaced in fact i can never get rid of her now!

"A lot of people are way to sneaky and will try and send the horse away but i feel that this is just giving the horses feeling of wanting to be away from you more oomph like letting a horse loose and geeing them up. Why doesnt the horse hang around?"

It's not sneaky at all with me, Shockblue. Most times Hebe comes up and asks to be caught - she'll sell her soul for a treat - but sometimes she just wants me to open the gate into the next field (tons of grass!), or she just doesn't feel like working - then she kicks up her heels and canters off, bucking and farting. So I'm just saying, if that's what you want, fine, come and tell me when you've had enough. And she does. That's all.

My lot will come to me for cuddles when I'm poo-picking (or an ear scratch is what they REALLY want so they get that AND a cuddle!) and I also walk up them to scritch their ears, do something nice for them or give them the occasional treat. I don't always go to them to catch them and likewise, they reciprocate.

Yep this is what I did with Oscar when I first got him too, except he was a lazy boy and decided after about five minutes of me moving him on that enough was enough and he never did it again.

I have a problem with my horse in that he is an angel for me to catch, but he is very hit and miss when the yard staff try and catch him. As he is on part livery I really need them to get him.

They have tried everything, but ultimatly the only thing that really works is bringing in all his friends from the field. Food is also a good motivator but very good timing is needed so that they get the lead rope attached to his headcollar (which always stays on in the field) clipped on before he spins and gallops off. Chasing him round has no effect whatsoever because his party trick is standing still and then spinning just before the handler gets close. He ignores leadropes, whips, noises etc. and will not be chased around.

I don't know what the answer is, but if you find out then make sure you post it.

Hi guys

Thought I would update you of today's progress, It was raining and I mean buckets I was in no mood for chasing my mare around a field in that however as walking over with head collar and rope in clear view whilst calling she looked up and began to walk in the opposite direction taking her little herd with her, I followed them in all directions they went they then huddled under some trees and my mare snook right in the middle and went to the back hmmm now I was faced with my horse in the muddle of about 10 horses I could see her looking at me so I picked up my posture stood straight and began to swing the end of my rope towards the back ends of all horses surrounding her and it didn't take long before they began to split up my horse tried to follow but I cut her off I didn't look at her I concentrated on moving the rest of the herd on she was now stood there in complete shock that I had shifted every other horse away I approached still head to the floor she walked off side ways so swang my rope she turned around faced me I still had to shoo off any horse that tried to approach but I walked gently threw rope over kneck took hold and walked her out and away from the other horses at this point I put on the head collar attached lead rope and off we went this took approx 15 minutes Which is a huge difference of yesterday So I was a happy horse will see of this works again tomorrow

None of ours have ever been bad to catch bar the odd time when escape to the next paddock seemed like a good game! I think ours must have an in built wuss button cos the moment it rains or they look bored they demand to come in!

There was an article by Whwf in last months Horse and Rider mag - the main thing that stood out was having patience - but it sounds like you've already used that method!

Best result ever with hard to catch horse

Hi guys

I decided to focus on being friends in the field so last Monday I went to field with a pocket full of carrots. As usual as I approached her she turned and walked away so I stood still until she stopped to graze I then continued to walk towards her I had no rope or head collar and again she looked up and walked away so this will sound funny I relaxed my arms and posture and began callin for her as i would talk to a newborn baby when she stopped and looked at me I knelt down offering a treat. I did this for around 10 minutes before curiosity crept in. Eventually I was close enough to offer the treat with our her turning away I gave her it and walked away.

Later the same day I did the same she didn't turn away on approach as much this time and she accepted a few treats and I gave her a scratch and then walked away

I done this every day for 3 days

On the forth day on approach and calling she looked up I stopped knelt done and offered the treat to my surprise she walked to me stood patiently and accepted a treat (but if carrot). I then walked away stopped turned around and called her again she walked over to me I done this all the way to the gate

Today I went to catch I didn't approach her I stood about 10 metres away and called her she walked over to me I gave her a pat and started to walk to the gate she walked beside me all the way to the gate no head collar or rope I stopped at the gate have her a treat put on head collar and in the stable she went I could not believe the difference I will continue my morning visits in the field as I have found its very important to keep the friendship both in field and when riding

Thanks to all the advice

I was so pleased

newrider.com