HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO NEW RIDER!!

Heather

Mar 28, 1999
UK
www.piaffe.org
Happy Christmas to all members!! Let us make next year, the start of a new millennium, an even better one for New Rider. Mike has done such a good job with the site, and as soon as I can get this video edit out of the way,I will write some new pages to add to Mike's workload!

I am arranging a possible date for the New Rider week here at my yard in glorious South Devon- ( well at least it would be if half of the South Hams wasn't submerged at the moment, but hopefully, we should have dried out by summer- it is at times like these that I am glad we live on top of a hill!).

I am thinking of July or August. I am too tied up before then, including easter I am afraid, but would advise July if possible, before the influx of grockels, sorry tourists, in August!

Anyone still interested?

Heather

Heather, that is a lovely offer...count me in as long as finances hold out in the new year, lol !!! What is your weather like there? Here it is usually fairly hot (85-95*) and HUMID at that time of year. YUCHHH!!!

Merry Christmas to everyone at New Rider!!!

Merry Christmas to you Heather!! :)

I'm definitely interested in a New Rider week; July sounds fine to me. We have the same sort of weather as HL2 has at that time of the year--hot and humid.

I've never been on a plane before! :eek:

Happy Holidays everyone! :D

hi heather , yep july sounds a great idea , i,ll be there you can count on that , and thanks for making 1999 a great year for me , learning to ride with the your help and the help of this wonderful website has made this a memorable year indeed , thanks

This sounds great and I would be really interested, especially as I was planning my Summer vacation in July anyway. My horse will also have his vacation then and will be turned out at grass for the month.

I have so many questions and it will be wonderful to be able to discuss all problems with you all.

While I am sending this note I would like to ask about use of a pelham for him. I have your book and I would like to try one and see if it helps him. I currently have a snaffle but also something called a "Guogue" (I'm not sure of the spelling but it is named after the person who invented it here in France, a Mr. Rene Guogue,it is fixed to the head piece and strings come down through the snaffle rings and join on each side to a V shaped leather piece which is attached round the girth, it assists in keeping the head in the right position - my instructor suggested this and it seems to be quite good, the idea is that eventually you do not need it. I want to be sure that I just need to buy a pelham bit + an extra rein and can then use the rest of the bridle that I already have.... is this correct ? :confused:

My very best wishes to all of you for Y 2000.
Alexa

HI Alexa,

The de Gogue martingale is not a good idea, in comparatively inexperienced hands, as it 'fixes' the horse's head carriage by force, rather than just releasing the lower jaw, as does the Pelham when used in the gentle way that I describe in my book. The horse learns in this way to carry his head without the constraint caused by a device that fixes his head and allows very little respite. this will cause aching muscles. I am not saying that the Pelham will cure every problem, just that it works in many cases, and merely shows te horse what you want him to do without force. Most horses will go back into a snaffle perfectly happily, once they understand what is required of them, and also once the muscles are built up in the neck in a way that makes the correct carriage of the head easy for the horse.

Regarding July, the weather here is usually pleasant at that time. It is of course our summer, but you can never rely on the weather here in England. It could be 80 degrees, and really hot, or it could be pelting with rain and in the high 50's!

WE have an indoor school, so weather is not a problem, and also a large outdoor school. I prpose that we do a five day sort of seminar. As I have only six schoolmaster horses, most of whom are suited to the more experienced rider, and although well behaved, are are too sharp for novices, we can do a limited amount of riding on real horses, but as several of you have said, there are so many questions that you want to ask, and have answered, that we can do various lecture demos with questions welcomed at all times, work with you on the simulators, there are video lecture opportunities- in fact there is masses that we can do to clarify all sorts of things. Just make sure you come armed with a list of things you want to discuss ! ( Did I say only five days!!)

I have a friend who owns a riding/trekking stables on Dartmoor, right on top of the moor in fact, in a glorious position. How about a half day ride up there? Doreen's horses are not glamourous, being good half bred cob types, but all are very fit, foot sure and well fed and shod, and you would be assured of a good safe, ride.

We are only ten miles from one of the most beautiful coastlines in Britain, so we can spend time on the beach. How about a barbecue there too?

How does this sound so far folks?

Heather

In this case I would like to try a pelham on him and forget the gogue - I assume that I just have to buy the bit & the curb chain (the mullen mouth one you mentioned in your book) + an extra rein and use the rest of the bridle I have already. If I cannot find this in France I will get via internet or when I am next in the UK. My hands in fact are about the best part of my riding ability as they are quite light and I do not pull on the horses's mouth. My horse is an ex-racehorse (he was still racing up until June of last year) - I bought him to save him from the slaughterers as since he was suffering from Emyphsema, as you may know many race stables just stop looking after their horses once they can no longer run and he was in a terrible state of neglect, thin and sick. He is now in great shape, coughs very little and is learning and making great improvements in ordinary day to day things. He no longer tries to bite and kick anyone coming near and has leart to trust people. I want to do my best for him so that he will be a pleasure to ride. As you can see he was not really the sort of horse best suited to me but I could not leave him and it was certainly worth it. So if you could just confirm about the pelham I will try this out and get up the courage to tell my instructor that I am leaving off the gogue for the moment.

My instructor is a nice girl but tells me to use a lot of force ont he reins ALL THE TIME and this is not the way I ride, I like a light contact - I feel uncomfortable as she is a good rider but it is not my style.

I am very interested in your July event - have you any idea of costs ?

All the best and hope to hear soon.

Alexa <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
HI Alexa,

The de Gogue martingale is not a good idea, in comparatively inexperienced hands, as it 'fixes' the horse's head carriage by force, rather than just releasing the lower jaw, as does the Pelham when used in the gentle way that I describe in my book. The horse learns in this way to carry his head without the constraint caused by a device that fixes his head and allows very little respite. this will cause aching muscles. I am not saying that the Pelham will cure every problem, just that it works in many cases, and merely shows te horse what you want him to do without force. Most horses will go back into a snaffle perfectly happily, once they understand what is required of them, and also once the muscles are built up in the neck in a way that makes the correct carriage of the head easy for the horse.

Regarding July, the weather here is usually pleasant at that time. It is of course our summer, but you can never rely on the weather here in England. It could be 80 degrees, and really hot, or it could be pelting with rain and in the high 50's!

WE have an indoor school, so weather is not a problem, and also a large outdoor school. I prpose that we do a five day sort of seminar. As I have only six schoolmaster horses, most of whom are suited to the more experienced rider, and although well behaved, are are too sharp for novices, we can do a limited amount of riding on real horses, but as several of you have said, there are so many questions that you want to ask, and have answered, that we can do various lecture demos with questions welcomed at all times, work with you on the simulators, there are video lecture opportunities- in fact there is masses that we can do to clarify all sorts of things. Just make sure you come armed with a list of things you want to discuss ! ( Did I say only five days!!)

I have a friend who owns a riding/trekking stables on Dartmoor, right on top of the moor in fact, in a glorious position. How about a half day ride up there? Doreen's horses are not glamourous, being good half bred cob types, but all are very fit, foot sure and well fed and shod, and you would be assured of a good safe, ride.

We are only ten miles from one of the most beautiful coastlines in Britain, so we can spend time on the beach. How about a barbecue there too?

How does this sound so far folks?

Heather
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Heather. I hope you had a great Christmas! :D

Your ideas for July sound fabulous to me! I would thoroughly enjoy all the events you've suggested, and I know I have zillions of questions. :)

How are all of your projects coming along? Smoothly, I hope!

Thanks for providing so many tools to help us all become better horsewomen (and men! :)). I'm sure there are quite a few horses that would love to thank you, too!

I love it when a plan comes together! And we can do this...I can already visualize us riding in the foothills of Dartmoor (OK, so we have helmets on and I can't see your faces :)) and then I see us working w/the simulator, and getting such expetise in the way of our clinician, Heather. This will be an event to remember!!..and perhaps to become annual!! Heather, please let me know about accomadations nearby (preferably a nice bed/breakfast type place) as opposed to a large hotel. Well since this trip will cost a few bucks, now I'm torn between the new saddle I've wanted for 2yrs...or a digital camera. I suppose the camera is least costly and I can use it in England!!!

HI folks,

I have just come back from the stables on Dartmoor today, where I had to go to fit a saddle that had arrived the day before Christmas. I mentioned the NR seminar to my friend Doreen Cousins who owns the yard, and she said that of course, she would be happy to accommodate us all for a half day ride over some of the most spectacular scenery in the West Country.

The high moor had a light dusting of snow today, and looked spectacular with the changing winter skies. I take a circular route to Doreen's place, taking in the south end of the moor, looking across to Plymouth Sound with a wonderful light on the water, through the lovely old town of Tavistock and up to Doreens place near Peter Tavy. Back across the middle of the moor, looking down on the forbidding village of Princetown and the infamous Dartmoor prison, and up across the high ground with spectacular views across wooded combes, and down again to the Dart Valley, with the crystal clear waters rushing
on their way to Dartmouth and the sea.

Such a hard life, fitting saddles under such circumstances!

Heather

WOW. this sounds absolutely fantastic, Heather! i can hardly believe it; such a tremendous opportunity. and yes, do let us know about costs when you have a chance. :)

i hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and of course i too look forward to hearing more details! i'm already making New Year's resolution plans to save up a bit of money. ;)

-cynthia

Hey Mike and Sarah, how is July sounding to you guys?? I think we should select a firm date soon so that we may begin making reservations, etc. Should we start a new thread about this and just kind of keep it ongoing? Hey Cyn, if you can't get a direct flight, swing by this way first! Even got a horse for ya...his name is Big Ben; I don't know if he's quite as tall as Raven but he is a good sized gelding! He's TBxBelgian and is a lot of fun!

Heather,

Thanks for offering this experience to everyone! :)

Is there a place within walking distance to you where we can stay? I'll be trying to make it to the New Rider week from the US, and my funds are limited (to say the least). If I have to have any kind of transportation, I would like it to be by foot or bicycle. Is this possible?

Thanks again. :)

I will try to put together some costs over the New Year holiday, before having to resume full work on this wretched video edit! We have plenty of bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation in this area, as long as we are able to book well ahead for that time of year. I have friends across the lane here at the farm opposite who are reknowned for their b and b, and also friends in the village who are great hosts.

I can make enquiries about borrowing a couple of caravans/tents too, if anyone is interested, to help keep costs down.

I will try to work out a full intinerary, and will start a new thread as suggested. This one will seem a bit dated by July!

Heather

hiya heather , i trust you had a great chrimbo , and everyone else too , i,ve just got back from glasgow after staying with some friends , had a great time , its great to see the nr meet seems to be getting off the ground , i really hope everyone shows support for this event , i,m in bracknell berks , so if i can help anyone out with transport , then let me know , good luck to all for new years eve have a good one , thanks

newrider.com