Hamstring trouble - in the rider.

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
Hi guys

This is about me rather than my horse. For the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that after about 15 minutes in the saddle I have a real ache in my hamstring area of my right leg. The pain then moves to my knee and up to my lower back. It does become so uncomfortable that I consider getting off and walking home, and within 5 minutes of being off it's gone again.

I've lengthened my stirrups a lot, thinking it would help - it hasn't. I ride in an Isabel Werth - have done for about 4 months now.

Does this sound like a trapped nerve and if so any advice? I just know that my Dr really won't be remotely interested and so there seems little point in going, but I'm concerned that it will persist and frankly ruin my pleasure in the saddle (as well as rendering me less effective).

do you ride in normal stirrups? If so try using the sprenger style ones.They really do help if you have problems with any of your joints and muscles.You can pick up cheaper versions of the sprenger for around £25 which are just as good. I have problems with my knees as well as my back and I really notice a difference if I ride too short or in the wrong stirrups.

Its funny that you mention the isabelle werth saddle as I sold mine because it hurt my back to ride in it.Do you have a different saddle you could ride in to see if it makes a difference.

I had severe hamstring pain and turned out it was caused by my dodgy knee - I have hypermobility and various damage inside kneecap.

Consultant said where my knee is unstable the hamstring was sort of spasming to try and keep the knee fixed.

I'd say it's worth a visit to a physio / chiro, at any rate, to get checked out. Have you tried perhaps five minutes of a gentle warm-up, followed by a proper stretch of your ham strings, before you get on board? Might be worth a try, at any rate - horse riding is exercise like any other, and I think it's easy to forget the kind of strain we can be putting on our muscles!

Yeah - true about the warm up and no - I don't! Thanks all.

In fact, I too have a dodgy knee, operated on some years ago, although not caused me any aggro since. Hence I didn't make the connection. Looks as though I might have to.

newrider.com