Had to get the vet out!

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
I arrived down in the yard this morning to find Marley had rolled under the electric fence!! He was standing in the lovely long grass and not only that my husband had sprayed weed killer along the fence line yesterday:eek:
I walked up to him and brought him in , he looked very bloated and very sorry for himself...the wee one had been running up and down in a bit of a state as he was left on the other side of fence...I kept a close eye on marley and he seemed to be lying down a lot more than usual although not surprisingly as he had stuffed his face. By 1pm he hadn't done any pooh's so I rang the vet who came out straight away. He checked his temp which was fine and listened to his gut, he said it sounded ok. He said he would put his arm inside to make sure he wasn't compacted . He then pulled out some pooh and said it was soft enough. He gave him an injection which he said would help settle and keep everything moving and help prevent a build up of gas, he also said not to turn him out tonight and keep an eye on him in case he gets laminitis from eating so much grass!! So I am now worrying about laminitis... although he did say if he is fine by the morning to just carry on as usual, so finger crossed.

Oh dear! I had this the other day when naughty Joseph donkey got through two sets of electric fencing into the long and rich winter field. He looked like a little hairy black pudding - all round and bloated. He was also very quiet the whole day, I had him on a dry paddock with tiny little bits of hay (not enough for a hen to nest in!) every couple of hours.

He did eventually poo...and it was quite normal,. but like you I was worried about lammi......24 hours later his gas belly had gone and he was flying around roaring to get back in with the others, so normal life resumed. I have to confess I had my vet on speed dial though for that 24 hours. :rolleyes:

....24 hours later his gas belly had gone and he was flying around roaring to get back in with the others, so normal life resumed
Oh i so hope that's him...

Thanks everyone for the support, he still hasn't had a pooh but i'm going back down to see him now so fingers crossed..also no heat in his feet and i can't feel any bounding pulses..

How is he today?
He is still not the best:( his poop is very watery and he is drinking a lot, which i suppose is a good thing as he is losing fluid with the diarrhea. The vet said its just the effects of gorging and should settle by tomorrow, so he is being kept in his stable for another 24 hrs with soaked hay and we will see how he is in the morn. His tail and back legs are a mess, I washed them down this morning but it really was a waste of time and he was getting a bit agitated with me washing him as i think he was wanting to pooh, so i have just left him be for now and hopefully get him cleaned up tomorrow..I do so hope he is better by the morn.

Do you have any activated charcoal? thats meant to be good at absorbing any toxins and gases and settling the tummy down, might be worth a try

Reactions: joellie
He seems to be improving,thank goodness, his poops are starting to tighten up:) Last night he felt cold, his ears and nose were cold and usually they are warm, i always kiss him on the nose so I know it well;) so i was unsure to put a rug on him or just leave him, but i decided to leave him without one and i made sure he had plenty of soaked hay to do him through the night, so i was so glad when i kissed him on the nose this morning it was nice and warm again and his body and ears felt nice and warm too. He was also kicking the door as he is longing to get out, the vet said i could put him out tonight as long as he doesn't break out again, but I think i shall just put him out this afternoon for a few hours to see how he gets on..what do you all think.??
Also I had never thought of charcoal, i am def going to buy some so i have it to hand just in case..

Reactions: Jessey
Glad he's on the mend:)
Not sure on the turnout - what are the chances of him breaking out again? I'd probably try him out for a few hours to start with if you're not sure.

I would be inclined to just turn him out for a few hours today and keep him in tonight. I am not a great advocate for keeping horses in unless really necessary, but the forecast here is for torrential rain right through the night and not very warm at all, not sure if it gets up as far as you? And seeing as he has probably been running a temperature in the last 24 hours I would just be a bit cautious and keep him tucked up inside tonight. Glad to hear he is on the mend though. :)

I think I would just do a few hours to start and see how he looks, esp if you can be around to see if he makes another escape attempt ;)

Thanks everyone, I think then we are all agreed, that it's best just to turn him out for a few hours then.This morning I have run an extra line of electric tape lower down as I think he must have accidentally rolled under as the fence was not wrecked and the wee one was still in the paddock....i really don't think he would have jumped it?:eek:

@Cortrasna Yes we have been having some really heavy burst of rain here.. Off Topic but...My fecking ears arrived this morning..Thanks i just love the colour but will wait til he's feeling better before trying it on him..and you'll be the first to know if we pick up any messages lol :p

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com