Had a Near Miss Today

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I've been away for a couple of weeks with work and manage flying visits once or twice during the week and have only ridden twice in the last fortnight, the second today in very windy but warm weather. Flipo isn't a difficult horse these days, I don't worry that he's more spooky or lively after time off, so I tacked up and set off without issue. He wasn't even being a tit while tied up (usually if it's windy and he's tied, he'll wind himself up and jump about a bit in an effort to snap his leadrope. Obviously he was just lulling me into a false sense of security.

I had considered not putting on my hi viz tabard as I wasn't going anywhere near the road - well we cross one right at the end but it's a quiet Sunday afternoon. But I decided it would just be vanity not to shove it on so zipped it up and off we went - a slow plod in the sunshine.

Well we were about two minutes from home, had just had our first and only little trot when I noticed a runner approaching on the track. She stopped when she saw us, and proceeded to stretch, leaning against a field gate. There were now sheep in that field as well - historically flip has found sheep quite interesting. He doesn't like how they move and will get a tiny bit prancy, but usually it's not too much of an issue. Well I don't know if it was the lady turning around as we drew level, or the sheep running away in the field, but Flipo saw an excuse to be stupid and half heartedly spooked to the right. Sadly, my reins were like washing lines and I didn't catch him quick enough as he darted off the track and onto the road - just as a van was racing around the corner. I managed to swing him round and get him onto the pavement but I was so lucky that a)the van saw me and slowed, and b) I didn't come off.

I'm so glad I wore my hi viz, even though I wasn't really doing any road work, it's just confirmed my reasons for doing so and I won't be chancing it in future. Hope this makes folk think, my horse isn't psycho number one these days but even we have our off days. Don't take a chance.

Blimey, scary moment. I am another one guilty of washing line reins and more than momentary inattention. I am glad you are both OK!

Oh dear how scary, glad you're both okay!

I had a similar incident when my horse decided that rather than walk through a muddy puddle he would barge through the bushes seperating us from the road. Luckily I managed to stop him just as we got to the road and get him back through the bush and through the puddle!

How scary!! I am another one guilty of washing line reins. I had a lovely hack earlier with W and we went a new way which involves a roundabout (well footpath next to) that joins the a19 to the a1. He was a diamond and we had 2 long lovely canters. On the way back into the village we were dawdling along feet out of stirrups and reins like washing lines.

Will defo think in future (though as he is known locally as the car crash cob I should know better. The fact I trust him now not to do anything to stupid shouldn't really matter)

They can take fright at things at any time. They simply don't see what we do or process it the same, innocent jogger equal about to pounce predator?
Glad you wore hi viz, I always do even in the school-it has pockets for my phone in summer. As colder weather comes I have pockets in a jacket etc. My hat band rarely gets taken off.

Last edited:
Blimey, scary moment. I am another one guilty of washing line reins and more than momentary inattention. I am glad you are both OK!

This! Also is scary just how fast things can get a bit hairy, glad you are all in one piece.

Also worth noting I think your attitude to all this and mark just how far you both have come, confidence wise :smile:

Glad you are okay. Always better to be safe than sorry. As for the washing line reins... well, I rarely have those! lol - usually too busy doing the death grip...hehee

I always wear high viz even in high daylight, and have a wrap around rug for Bud so that he is very easily seen, as he is dark brown so he blends in.

Well done staying on and silly Flipo - just what Bud would have done, he hates sheep.

I was a bit worried it might have an impact on my confidence, and you never know until a few days later, but it would seem we're all good. I think rider error was definitely high on the list of things to blame here. Reflecting on it now, I sort of let it happen and didn't react when I should have. Like when a pheasant runs out infront of you and you coast before braking in a hope that he might run across the road. I let him spook as didn't think he'd do more than a side step. Passenger rather than rider, but definitely won't be forgetting hi viz ever.

Glad your both ok, how scary!

If your hi viz only gave the driver a split second headstart on seeing you then that could of saved your life !

newrider.com