Hacking on roads ALONE!!

GoneBust

Aug 23, 2006
Essex
I'm having a few issues with my confidence hacking alone around the on-site hacking, so i am not planning on going out on my own on the roads anytime soon. But i am eventually wanting to do it.

I went out last summer once on my own and my horse was as good as gold - we didn't go far only about 15 mins down the road in walk and trot and back again and we both really enjoyed it as something different.

The trouble is whenever i mention to some people down the yard that i am planning to go out on my own down the road this coming summer and make it more of a regular occurance, they start to put doubts in my mind about doing it saying how dangerous it is (we have to go out on a rather busy 'B' road untill we reach the quiet lanes) but a few other people go out on it and like i said we have done it before.

I was just wondering what everyones views were on hacking on roads alone. Is it a good idea or bad idea?

I do it all the time, it's unavoidable where we are as all the best riding places are at least 15 mins away via roads..........

I prefer to go out in company but it's not always possible so I often go on my own. My horse will sometimes spook at things but it's never anything major, and we have a great time generally :) You just have to be sensible, and as well as being very luminous with all my high viz gear, I always make a point of being super courteous to car drivers, they tend to be nicer to you that way :D

I always have my mobile phone with me and people on the yard know I'm out so if I didn't come back they'd send a search party :p

A lot of people on my yard don't do a lot of things, including hacking out for fear of what 'may' happen, but to me getting out and about and feeling the wind in our hair is what it's all about. :)

My advice would be to do what feels right and safe for you and your horse, and make a point of not listening to what anyone else has to say! It's their fear, don't let it hold you back! :)

I know exactly what you mean. When Boo was having her saddle fitted the saddle man asked me to go and trot/walk her abit down the road, I said 'Well errr, she hasn't gone down thire by herself' ( I was not confident with her at all because she is still new to me ) And he replied 'Yeah? and???' So I did it! and i got back and i was sooo chuffed! then we swapped saddles because the one we was trying didn't fit. And i did the same again except he said he wanted me to go so far that i would be out of his sight. Well I got back and i was soooooo so so happy! It was so nice. Again swapped saddles and this time i was told i had to go out of his sight and double my journey . And by then i was completely happy about hacking by my self! sometimes you just need someone to tell you 'You have to do it!'

x
xx
x
Good luck

I'd only ever hacked out in company until last year when I started riding my friends pony. I work till 5 so I'd often find that I was one of a few that would be down the yard so I'd ride up the road and back on my own.

I've also hacked down a bypass on my own with no problems - often finding that people tend to slow down for you more when you are out on your own

It's their fear, don't let it hold you back! :)

Struth Ruth: I think you have definately summed it up for me in that sentence!

But one main point they also bring up is, what if your horse spooks/bucks or something and you come off and can't keep a hold of him and he runs for home, straight for the busy road!! which to be honest i see more of a fright than the actual riding on roads.

But then there is the otherside - my horse isn't actually really that spooky anyway!

But one main point they also bring up is, what if your horse spooks/bucks or something and you come off and can't keep a hold of him and he runs for home, straight for the busy road!! which to be honest i see more of a fright than the actual riding on roads.

But then there is the otherside - my horse isn't actually really that spooky anyway!

The question I would put to 'them' is if your horse isn't spooky, then why would he do any of those things they worry about him doing?

I think you have a choice, either sit around and ponder all the many possibilities of things that could go wrong (of which there are many of course!)

OR

plan all the wonderful, amazing rides you could have where it all goes right!!!

I sympathise as I have my own 'what if' scenarios, but when I'm galloping across fields or through woods, or when we're having a stroll in the sunshine in a country park, the 'what if's' are suddenly very silly.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my hairy moments. I took my horse out on a two hour jaunt to a country park a few weeks back and there were some horses ahead that were napping and it really spooked my horse. She was jumpy and really hard to hold onto (am sure she was a racehorse in another life!) but it was fine, we got past them, and had a fantastic ride. We must have cantered/galloped for around 3 miles non stop.

I would have missed that if I'd have let my fear (or anyone else's!) stop me from taking the chance. Have some faith in yourself as well as your horse that you'll be able to handle tricky situations, as they will occur, but they're never as bad as you fear they will be. It'll make you a better rider and your relationship with your horse stronger. :)

I have no choice but to hack out on the roads, though I do mainly go with company at the moment, that will change when I go back to work- I'll have to hack out alone on the roads or not ride at all.

At my previous yard I hacked out on the roads alone every time I rode- and the road work there included the main A38 for some rides.

I wouldn't have done it, and wouldn't consider doing it on a horse that I wasn't 99.9% sure was traffic-proof, but Dolly is... she might put in a massive spook at a leaf moving, or a sign at the side of the road, but if a juggernaught goes past, she stands like a rock:rolleyes:

The thing that amazes me is horses inate sense of self-preservation- Dolly can be an absolute cow-bag to ride, spooking, spinning, rearing etc on the roads...but add a car to the equation and she stops messing around til it's past:rolleyes:

If you are as sure as you can be about your horses ability to behave sensibly on the roads, then go for it.... don't let the 'what if's' hold you back from enjoying yourself, if we all did that, none of us would ever ride.

Accidents can and do happen, but I don't think you are any more likely to have a biggy on the roads than you are in the arena IF your horse is safe in traffic:)

Good luck:D

Roads arnt really that dangerous as long as you and your horse are relaxed and trust each other!!

I take Kia onto dual carraige ways with truck running by us and he doesnt bat an eyelid. If it was a single road he would have a fit. I had to teach him what a bus was and that when it went by it was just a long car!!!

I need to hack on roads as I do endurance and I need him to have nice strong legs and good road/public manners.

Go for it and don't listen to what others have to say really only you will know if you can do it or not!!

Nikki xxxxx

I always hack out alone, there are no others around where I live who could join me. I don't mind though, I like being on my own out there with my horse.

But I refuse to go to the roads, that is mainly though as the road by our house has gotten really bad lately, you barely get across with a horse, whereas 10 years ago you saw a car every 15 minutes or less. Now it is just big truck after big truck, definitely going over the speed limit.

There has been few accidents along the road, where couple of horses wee involved and had to be PTS, so I am not taking not taking any risks.

That is just me and my circumstances though..

Nina x

Sounds like a lot of us have no other choice but to hack out on the roads by ourselves. If you have a horse that is used to traffic and has no problems with it, nothing holding you back. If there are ditches to go in, you can always go there when the traffic comes along.

I suppose I'd ask them how likely it would be that someone with me would be able to prevent this? I would say it's almost as likely to be a problem when hacking with a friend as without.

I suppose I'd also say that riding is full of "what if's" and you just have to weigh up how likely it is to happen and how likely it is to result in a problem?

I have pretty much always hacked out alone simply because the horse I was riding lived alone and I tended to ride in the mornings on weekdays when most other riders were at work or school. I'd agree with what people above said - in some ways the mare was less likely to buck or spook on busier roads - the worst thing she'd do was trot really fast until we got onto a quieter road, and over time she got calmer and calmer.

Build it up gradually, so that neither you nor your horse get in any way nervous and you head home feeling that you've had a good time (like you obviously did before :) ), and then go a little further the next time - I'm sure it will all work out great :)

I'm looking forward to mine and Joy's first solo hack although I love hacking out in company :)

When I learnt to ride 25 years ago it was hacking so I am feeling more comfortable hacking than riding in a school.

As far as the roads go, I think that often the busier roads are safer than the lanes. In the lanes to occasionally get a car which can take Joy by surprise and it is usually going at great speed and the road is narrow and windy. On a main road there are always cars and lorries and so this offers precdictability for Joy. :)

Another thing that puts me a bit unease with hacking out down the road is the weather, if it is really windy or something - suppose it is more of the what ifs coming up!

Does anybody else hack out in high winds and rain? What about down the roads?

I hack in most weathers, its weighing up the risks in the bad weather whether to ride on the roads or not. I have done but will normally make sure we have a friend to come too.
We went out in the horrendous wind and rain near new year. Wasn't clever but we survived. On two spooky horses it was giving them to much to worry about!

What i struggle with is cars not slowing and splashing through puddles!

newrider.com