*gulp* driving test

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
It's finally here, after taking lessons since June and with less than 40 hours behind the wheel I have got my practical driving test in the morning! I had a good last lesson today including a proper mock test under test conditions and my instructor said I will pass with flying colours if I drive like that tomorrow - so I know that I *can* do it, but he also said not to underestimate the effect of nerves as he's had some really good pupils fail their tests for doing random stupid things that they wouldn't normally do. I've got an hour's drive with him prior to the test which will hopefully help calm my nerves and get me in the zone, but I have to admit, I am feeling sick about it already!
My progress diary on here didn't last very long but all I can say is that learning to drive as an adult has been quite a difficult journey with some massive ups and downs and if I had the chance I would go back and tell my 18 year old self to get on with it and not wait such a stupidly long time to start lessons!

Reactions: Jessey
Good luck and you WILL be fine, try not to think of it as a 'test' more as just a practise drive with someone different, you've got this joosie, honestly you have, if you can do all the horsey things you do your driving test will be easy peasy.

I learned as an adult. I started learning late on and had an instructor that took me for a ride even though he came recommended. So
he got ditched. I was very disappointed and it knocked my confidence. After a couple of years break I went with someone else. Had quite a few lessons but passed my test first time. With a couple of minors. But as I new as soon as I made the mistakes and told the tester I knew I had.
You'll be fine. Just stay relaxed and breath.

For the benefit of those who don't have me on FB.... I passed :D:D It was one of my best drives I think! 5 minor faults and a glowing compliment about my parallel park :cool: The examiner said I was one of the chattiest people he's tested for quite a while, he said most people don't like to talk much because they're concentrating but I actually found it really helped to calm my nerves so he said go ahead, and we talked about travelling and ponies the whole time :p So yeah... stay off the road guys, I've been let loose ;)

Congratulations! Now remind me again roughly where you live so I know if it's safe to be on the roads tomorrow - joking, before some oversensitive soul gets offended on Joosie's behalf!

You'll love the freedom it gives you Joosie, I'd hate to be without a car now.

newrider.com