GRRRRRR! Rant alert

Wiz201

Nov 13, 2011
Had my share arrangment turned down before even starting it! There are two ladies who owned the horses and one thought I looked a bit nervous around horses. Well, I was only a little worried when this horse who is a dominant herd leader tried to herd mine out the way whilst I was trying to catch her with a bridle cause apparently she won't lead in a headcollar when moved into a new field. Only had a two minute sit on her, so I said I'll come following week. Had a message from her yesterday saying its not working out! I've not even barely started riding the mare:stomp: I'm having this rant before I work out what answer I'm going to give back to her.
Granted, this week was a bit unusual as I could only ride max 2 days rather than 3, but I'd already booked a hair appt today and didn't want to miss it, so if that's one of the reasons, I think its a pretty petty one.

Shame your not near me you can come and ride one of mine :biggrin:. perhaps they just had second thoughts and decided against sharing and it was nothing personal.

Well I hope it was nothing personal. The cob was really fat and needed exercising so don't know what they're going to do with her instead.

Sorry to hear this Wiz just found out that the horse I was going to share when I'm able to ride again is being sold. It's upsetting and annoying for you I know , you definately need to know the reasons behind the ladies decision. Hugs!

Two people own the horse you are looking to share? Or two people's perception of you was told to the owner and they have cancelled it?
Sorry long day and brain is muddled.

A horse that has to be led in a bridle to move fields sounds like it needs some manners.

Last edited:
I would just leave it, it's their horse, they can change their mind if they want to, it's their right. They have probably fallen out between themselves.

You haven't really started sharing it, so what have you lost? You haven't shelled out on tack, rugs, stuff like that, which you often have to do if you have one on loan - been there done that twice now.

Just ignore it and find another one. It's disappointing but better now than once you've got fond of the horse - been there done that too!

I do feel sorry for you, but at the same time I can see the other side of this too. I would be uneasy about leaving you to catch & handle a horse if the herd leader was overriding you & making you nervous. Was there a reason why you had such a short ride on the horse? And did you ask if it was ok to come back next week or tell them
Only had a two minute sit on her, so I said I'll come following week.
because how you word it in your post sounds to me like you told them &, if I'm honest, that would get my back up if I was the owner.

I hope you find something soon, I know you've been looking a while & can understand how disheartened you must be. Try to understand that a lot of us are terribly protective about our horses though & also don't want anyone hurt so if in doubt will err on the side of caution.

She'd lost a shoe and was a bit foot sore so that was the reason why I only sat on her for two mins.
I was trying to ovveride the herd leader and just concentrated on trying to catch the mare. As I have said above, I was willing to come back and try with a headcollar, get her out of the gate and then put her bridle on if necessary.
I've replied back to the owner with hopefully a diplomatic reply so I'll see what she says but not holding out too much hope. I think I'm going to stick to my carriage driving on Sundays for now and concentrate on that. Just need to cancel my BHS subscription as I'd got the insurance through that.

Don't be put off or annoyed Wiz, sounds like you may have had a narrow escape to me. Two people owning one horse and they need a sharer? Can't get her in without a bridle? Other horses in the field jostling? Anyone of these things might be acceptable:unsure: but the three together, I think you possibly had every right to feel a little nervous. Better luck next time:smile:

I wouldn't bother saying anything to the people and to me it seems a good thing, already they have issues with the horse hence having to be led in a bridle and they could have been the kind that constantly interfere maybe not.

There will be a horse out there for you,

I have the problem of trying to find an experienced person to full loan my horse so far I've had people that were totally not suitable.

She'd lost a shoe and was a bit foot sore so that was the reason why I only sat on her for two mins.
I was trying to ovveride the herd leader and just concentrated on trying to catch the mare. As I have said above, I was willing to come back and try with a headcollar, get her out of the gate and then put her bridle on if necessary.
I've replied back to the owner with hopefully a diplomatic reply so I'll see what she says but not holding out too much hope. I think I'm going to stick to my carriage driving on Sundays for now and concentrate on that. Just need to cancel my BHS subscription as I'd got the insurance through that.

Don't you need the insurance for your carriage driving too?
Worth keeping in case another share comes up surely.
You've just been unlucky, I get peope keen to come and ride then they just don't show up or get back in touch. Nowt queer as folk

Actually I never thought of that, but just got the details today and the personal accident insurance only pays out if I'm injured enough to be permanently disabled/dead so it won't help for more minor injuries like fractures.

I wouldn't cancel i would let it run. The BHS offers more than just insurance. You get a percentage off at events and in the shop-well you used to.

I am wondering why the owners let you come if horse had lost a shoe. Most people would let you perhaps meet the horse, get to know it on the ground. Not ride it, even in a school it would be unbalanced and as you said sore.

Last edited:
They didn't know she'd lost a shoe until she'd walked onto the yard, and I'd confirmed it when I picked out her feet. Her lameness did come more apparent as she was led out to mount, so hence I just sat on her.

Goodness lame too OMG get out of there! Sorry I missed that on last post. Keep trying, their are good people out there and horses:smile: poor horsy though. Shame about the owners.

Tina some horses can be lame if they pull a shoe, particularly if they make a mess of the foot in the process. Replace the shoe & they're often fine.

newrider.com