Tiger Lily

Jan 30, 2017
Hi guys, first post in this subforum, and I'm not sure it's the right one, but i have some questions on purchasing a grooming kit. Is there any one brand of kit you would recommend? I take lessons at a local barn and am just looking for something a little better than the barn tools. I don't need anything fancy, just basic grooming supplies (curry, hard and soft brushes, hoofpick, mane/tail brush), but would like something of decent quality. Suggestions?

I've got bits of all sorts in my grooming kit, brands like Equerry and Salmon and I have a fancy set I won in a comp - which has antibacterial stuff built in - kbf99 brand and some Bentley products. Are you in the usa tho? Not sure what brands you have there, @horseandgoatmom might have some suggestions.

I would not necessarily go for a specific brand but see what fits your hands well.
There are so many makes and styles and sizes of grooming items.
I have small hands so smaller brushes feel much better in my hands.

I did get a really inexpensive sort of plastic grooming brush that I love and its great to get mud off.

I also have a sort of massage brush I actually got it (several) at Michaels Crafts
It was in a spa section and has wooden nibs on it and I use that right after I ride to
massage Sonnys saddle area and really love it.

If you can go to a tack shop and try some out and see what feels good in your hands.

My favourite set is my oster brushes, I keep those for 'best' lol silly as I rarely go anywhere anymore :p for everyday I just buy whichever cheap brushes feel good to hold :)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I would not necessarily go for a specific brand but see what fits your hands well.
There are so many makes and styles and sizes of grooming items.
I have small hands so smaller brushes feel much better in my hands.

I did get a really inexpensive sort of plastic grooming brush that I love and its great to get mud off.

I also have a sort of massage brush I actually got it (several) at Michaels Crafts
It was in a spa section and has wooden nibs on it and I use that right after I ride to
massage Sonnys saddle area and really love it.

If you can go to a tack shop and try some out and see what feels good in your hands.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to get to my local shop or an Agway at some point.

My favourite set is my oster brushes, I keep those for 'best' lol silly as I rarely go anywhere anymore :p for everyday I just buy whichever cheap brushes feel good to hold :)

I've heard good things about Oster, what are their prices like?

I've got bits of all sorts in my grooming kit, brands like Equerry and Salmon and I have a fancy set I won in a comp - which has antibacterial stuff built in - kbf99 brand and some Bentley products. Are you in the usa tho? Not sure what brands you have there, @horseandgoatmom might have some suggestions.

Yeah, I'm in the US, although I could probably get European stuff online.

I won a child's cottage craft grooming kit. I still use it as fits my hand. Body and Dandy brush, hoof pick, plastic curry and mane comb. It lives in an empty chocolates container.
I do have an Oster for her mane and tail.

I won a child's cottage craft grooming kit. I still use it as fits my hand. Body and Dandy brush, hoof pick, plastic curry and mane comb. It lives in an empty chocolates container.
I do have an Oster for her mane and tail.

Interesting. Cute pony BTW!!

I think it was either Chicks Saddlery, Rods or Dover, I've had them a good while but those are the main 3 I use in the states, it was cheaper for me to buy them there and ship them in to the UK :rolleyes:

Oster are lovely. I dont keep mine for best. I use them all the time and friends like to borrow them. They are USA type brushes - cheaper to buy in USA - and I didnt get a complete kit Oster have good grip for elderly hands, but you are young. I would use what feels comfy in your hands and the type that other people have.
I have some European kit too bought when I started and still in use. My face brush cost next to nothing. Recently I bought one very expensive German real hair brush for a horse who has a sensitive skin and she loves it. But I wouldnt spend a lot. People on yards borrow brushes and you need to be relaxed about losing stuff like hoof picks.

If you are choosing nicer brushes I would avoid those with foam in the centre - look for brushes that you can wash and keep clean over the years. Hygene is important.

newrider.com