Grass livery near Southend

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
Just wondering if you know of grass livery in the surrounding areas or a yard with 24 hr turnout - Im thinking this is probably asking for a miracle!!!!

I currently part loan and she is on 24/7 turnout. Her mum told me that she just approached a few local farmers (in the Orsett area) and made some enquiries about land for grazing and was lucky, finding the perfect plot. Always worth a try!! x

I have 24hr turnout , if the fields get too flooded in severe rain/gateways poached then the horses must be stabled for a few days.
We still have to have and pay for a stable so its not a grass livery, we choose what T/O hrs we want.
try some of the local farmers.

Try Bentall farms in Little Wakering near the church, Philpots at Barleylands in Billericay, Rayners at Pagglesham, Tabors in Shopland Hall. Also theres a huge livery (45+horses) being run on Potten Island but I dont have the womens name...let me know if your interested in that one and I'll find a number..

Hi giveitago

Yes I would be interested in a tel number if you are able to get hold of it.

I see you are from Guildford/Woking how comes you know places down here? :)

Potten Island is owned by Phillpot, who also owns Barleylands. Barleylands do not have 24/7 turnout in the winter, dunno about Potten Island though.

ooo, old essex girl, family still farm over there but we're on MOD land I'm afraid and horse businesses are not allowed. (damn annoying when I have to pay through the nose for a scrap of grazing over here)

Yep, Philpot owns/rents Potten Island but the livery is run by a lady. I'll ask my dad for the number and get back to you.

(editing the thread as I cant post a reply on the bottom for some reason)

I have made enquiries.

Seems the lady on potten isnt a favorite with the local farmers and I have been advised to suggest two others.

First, as previously mentioned, Mr and Mrs Bentall, Wick farm, Little Wakering Road, Barling. They've had horses on the farm for many years, are very nice animal people and have some lovely places to hack. Also, Rayners, Oldbury Farm, between Wakering and The Rose Inn (Southend Road?), again nice, good farmers with many years of horse experience, acres of land too. Cant promise they'll have the 24/7 turnout but farmers usually appreciate that a bit of weather doesnt do much harm- how many cows do you see stabled? I suppose all you can do is ask them.

I havent got numbers for either but you can get them in the local phone book.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Last edited:
E, have you looked in this months' Essex Rider? Might be something there, also in tack/feed shops. It is hard to find, especially at this time of year, but you might be lucky. Another place would be in the Free Ads, might have grazing advertised there too.

Have to say out my way most yards don't have 24hr; fields are just too boggy now so we're in by night ( Mrs B seems to prefer it anyway, as do I as rugs etc have a chance to dry out!)

newrider.com