Going to see horse to share at 10!!!!

claire27uk

Nov 6, 2009
Nervous nervous nervous is all i can say.

Hate having probably far better peeps watching me ride.

Both horses on same yard so might be riding both!!!

Will update tonight.

Claire

Relax, breath and listen to any advise they give you with regards to riding the horse, watch the horse being ridden 1st and actually watch what the rider does and GOOD LUCK! Oh no just seen the time and you're going to be there already.

I hope it went ok.

Have been lady disclosed she was pregnant so got on in school.

When the lady who owns cob, said she bought she had reared when tacked up as she didnt want to be tacked up, I was a bit shocked at this as not really horse for a novice!!! They had sorted this out by putting on a control headcollar and she didnt do it anymore. Anyway she told me had to be firm with her not and give the horse an inch or she will just get more and more naughty.

I picked her feet and she stamped her feet alot, which again her owner said she was doing to test me. And to push her in the belly with hoof pick if she did this :eek:

I got on and found her very lazy and she kept stopping and refused to move, this was her napping also i got told if i was going to work her in the school she would nap and be naughty if i didnt do any schooling exercises with her. Her trot was bouncy i didnt canter with her. She did stop dead out of a trot with me once.

The owner got a crop and advised me to crack her with it :D i did and then watched her daughter jump her and she was lazy with her.

She said the first thing she would do if napping is stop dead, then next she would back up the last stage she would spin to try and get me off :eek: I musnt allow her to misbehave as she would do all the above when got her but now they have her behaving so if she stops dead and wont listen to my leg i must back it up with the stick.

Also she advised on hack she hadnt done anything wrong with the owner when out but if she wants to go its best to let her go as she wont go for very long!!

What does everyone think?

This was my ad does this sound like a horse for a novice:

WANTED 14.2hh+ to share at weekends. Responsible adult novice rider looking to hack out/spoil horse. Must be good in traffic and sensible. Happy to help with stable duties in return for riding.

That horse does NOT sound suitable for a novice! It needs reschooling, definately, and not by that woman who told you to crack it one and stab it with a hoof pick. Obedience is not attained through fear, it is earned through respect. I am suspicious that the horse may have some underlying pain issues - horses are not just nappy or "chewy" for no reason.
Personally, I would pass this horse up. Unless correctly addressed, it will get worse, and someone could get seriously hurt as well as the horse ruined.

Thanks thought it was just me who thought this lady has really not read my advert properly.

She also said that all cobs are nappy and that all horses for loan have something wrong with them.

Thanks thought it was just me who thought this lady has really not read my advert properly.

She also said that all cobs are nappy and that all horses for loan have something wrong with them.

She sounds pleasant *raised eyebrow*

I used to school and produce cobs - yes, one or two napped, but once it we addressed why they napped (pain/fear/confusion) then it stopped. So she's wrong there.

All horses for loan have something wrong with them - one of my horses is on loan, nothing wrong with him whatsoever, except of course his legs aren't long enough! He was my showjumper when I was a kid but as an adult at 5' 11" (he's 15.1hh) I had outgrown him, but couldn't bear to sell him, so I put him on loan (at my yard with my others) and so I still keep an eye on him, but he's getting ridden. So the only thing wrong with him is that he's too small! Though you could say I'm too talll... hmm... :)

Many people put their horses on loan/part loan for different reasons - they've been outgrown, the owner hasn't got the time, financial reasons, family committments etc etc etc.

Steer clear of this woman who clearly hasn't got a clue, and I hope you find a nice horsie soon :)

OMG run a mile, no not all cobs are nappy and not all horses on loan have something (let alone that much) wrong with them.
There are horses on loan for very valid reasons, owners going to uni, owners ill-health or pregnancy, no time for them but don't want to sell as it's a temporary thing.
Def not a horse for a novice. Has she got no conscience????. She should be looking an experienced person who wants a challenge.

When you go to try out a share horse you need to be interested as much in finding a likeminded owner as finding the right horse.

Tbh it wouldn't matter how desperate I was, I would be walking away from both horse and owner based on what you have written.

I agree with what everyone else has said: this is not a horse for a novice! She sounds like an unhappy unconfident mare, who needs someone realliy experienced and kind to sort her out.

And no, all cobs are not nappy - my cob was the honestest horse in England - and all horses for loan don't have problems.

Just keep looking ...

Yup another vote for walk away.

She's talking rubbish, my cob doesnt nap, he can be slow going out of somewhere new .. but has never planted and refused to leave a yard.

Poking a horse with the hoof pick is a bit off - ouch !

a very big no from me too - is this woman demented or blind - didn't she read your advert?:rolleyes: Actually doesnt sound as though she knows too much about horses anyway - certainly not the sort of person you would want to be progressing your riding and care skills with:eek:

Keep on searching - you'll find the right one;)

Another 'no' vote here.

Speaking as someone who has loaned a cob that napped, stopped and spun with me, (a lot) it's taken over two years to get my confidence back again.

Definitely NOT a horse suitable for a novice. You need something to build your confidence, and you will find it eventually.

I would give her and the horse a wide berth. I am a novice and that type of horse would freak me out:eek:

I have a cob on loan from a rescue and he doesn't nap. He was bargy at first but not aggressive and doesn't do any of the things you mentioned.

Good luck with your new search:)

I agree with everyone else...STEER CLEAR!! :eek:

I can also say that from my own bad experiences!!

You learn from your mistakes, or in your case, you can learn from other peoples!! :rolleyes: :D

Cobs

Totally agree with everyone who has posted. Steer clear!!!! Cobs are not ALL nappy.

My daughter has owned two cobs, both of which are absolute dreams for handling and riding.

The first, was her first pony a rock steady pony that brought her on tremendously - we couldnt part with him at first and he started on loan with someone close to us (no - was not a vice or anything wrong with him that made us decide it was time for us to move on from him). Happily, he now lives outside of the window of the little girl who has now grown up with him :)

The second one our daughter found - is a superstar of the highest order, stable manners, hacking, schooling (she is green for schooling - but we experience no napping, spinning or any other vice), jumping - this little lady is perfect. This time even a lottery win would be hard pressed to get us part with her and I would trust her with the smallest child on her back.

Both of the above would be perfect for your advert - unfortunately we arent looking for sharers :rolleyes: You were honest in what you asked for, please hold out for the one you are looking for, confidence is such a fragile thing to lose with the wrong partnership (talking from experience).

newrider.com