Going downhill fast.

Slewgal

Mar 19, 2003
Milan, Michigan
www.finalturnsites.com
My realtion ship with my horse that is.

Okay, when we first got her she had some issues that the other owner told us about(afraid of hoses, won't stand for mounting, has canter issues, in constant heat when turned out w/ geldings, can't jump because of rushing out after them..etc)

Things started off good, she was really responisve, looked to be really good at getting on the bit and was thinking i had stolen a wonderful dressage horse...she even jumped up to 2' 6 with no problem and seemed to enjoy it.

WHen we first brought her home she was fine, we kept her stable by herself...and she was good alwasy came running up to see me when I went out to get her.

Then I noticed that when riding her she had started rushing when I asked her to pick up the bit. And then she started bucking a little after just small cross poles, she then suceeded in bucking me off, I got right back on and made her go again and was fine....I don't know if that knocke dmy confidence or what...but I reverted to just walking her.....

Then we moved her in with the boys and things have gotten worse....she won't let me catch her at all(even with a bucket of grain), last week we had to make her run for 20 mintues(to make her realize just being caught would have been a lot easier on her) until she finally gave up and let me put the halter on her....riding is a nightmare.......I"ve been taking her down the road, she's fine on the way to my house, but on the way back she tries to canter and when you try to restrain her she bucks.

Basicly she dosne't like being told what to do.

SHould I just start over with her?? she's 14 and acting like an untrained 2 yr old...I don't know what to do.

firstly have you had your saddle checked recently.This could be the cause of the bucking.Secondly she is obviously enjoying being in with the boys could you possibly seperate her from them at all. I would guess that if riding was at all uncomfortable for her then she would rather be out in the field with her friends than being ridden which could account for her not wanting to come in.

Its a process lol

Go through all possible pain issues teeth, saddle, etc then look at hormonal problems maybe even scan for polysistic ovaries as this can cause unusual behaviour.

Once you have elimitated all medical issues then you can sit back and say yep its just her and how you can out think her

good luck
Liesl

I agree, check physicals, then check tack.

Also look at what you're feeding her. Is she on hard feed? Does she need it? How many carrots are you feeding? They are very high in sugar and can have and adverse effect on some horses. If you have any suspicions at all about the feed go back to water, grass and hay and see if there are any behavioural changes. If she loses weight (and doesn't need to) then increase the forage.

After that go back to schooling and, especially groundwork. Maybe lose the jumping for a while until you have her respecting and listening to you. It sounds as though she had problems before coming to you so groundwork would be an ideal way of establishing your partnership and respect issues. I don't know if you have the equivalent of 'RA's' (Intelligent Horsemanship Recommended Associates - Kelly Marks/Monty Roberts) where you are but I've found them to be extremely useful.

I have the same problems with my mare, I changed her saddle completely, got one of those adjustable synthetic ones, ruled out everything else, then found out she has a cyst on her ovary, she is 20 yrs old and is in season about once a fortnight in summer, and once a month through winter, she is an arab, and she does exactly the same as your mare, she is fine at the start of a hack,but turn her for home, and you feel like you are sitting on unexploded dynamite, and the fuse has burnt out, you sit and wait for the explosion. I invested in a pair of sticky bum jods- they are brilliant!!!!!! and a synthetic saddle with a cloth seat, now she knows that I just stay put, and if it helps, sing to yourself on the way home, stay relaxed, it might help! She could also be starting the "Kevins" turning into a teenager!!!!! mine started on her 13th birthday, and got worse!

OOH just a thought as well there is an operation for the polysistic ovaries so its not the end of the road and the behaviour does change.

Liesl

We know it isn't physical, she just knows I'm a wimp...:( We don't have a round pen so I don't really have anywhere to work with her.....that and I've never did nay kind of training before..so I haven't the slightest idea what to do with her.....

The horse I look after is like that, bucking and taking advantage in my lack of confidence in myself, also he can take upto half an hour to catch!!! (I just follow him round the field, not letting him eat until he gives up lol! :) ) and i've decided that im going to do some clicker traing, to earn a bit of respect on the ground and go from there.
don't know if it'll help, but i thought i'd tell you :D

Slewgal, if you are tense and nervous, she'll know and take advantage, just try to relax, but be firm with her and don't let her get away with it!! You must remember that a horse is close on a quarter of a ton of flesh, blood, bone and muscle, but it only has the brain the size of your fist!!! Set your boundaries, and don't let her know that you are scared, rescue remedy is fantastic for that!!!!

newrider.com