Ginny is going for a bone scan

I don't think so. I think they are thinking bone chips in both front coffins and compensatory pain behind. If not that, then something chronic and degenerative like navicular. And at just 6 that sort of thing would be very bad news.

Nothing useful to add but wishing you and Ginny all the best. There's no way you could've known quite what was going on, particularly when she'd been seen by a vet already and given the okay. You went with your gut and that's the main thing. They are such stoic animals.

Bugger, hopefully they do find bone chips today and they will resorb or can be easily removed, buckets of good luck vibes coming your way x

Me too. Is this something similar to what @Mary Poppins Ben has going on in his stifle?
Ben has fragments of cartilage in his stifle joint, but not bone chips. Although without the arthroscopy they really don’t know exactly what the extent of the damage is.

@KP nut - I am so sorry to read this. I hope that a treatment plan is agreed and she makes good progress. Your poor daughter must be devastated.x

Nothing useful to add but wishing you and Ginny all the best. There's no way you could've known quite what was going on, particularly when she'd been seen by a vet already and given the okay. You went with your gut and that's the main thing. They are such stoic animals.

I do think she is the stoic type. She has always been bullied in the field - I wonder if other horses could sense vulnerability? Perhaps the herd have known for far longer than we have that she has not been right.

Bugger, hopefully they do find bone chips today and they will resorb or can be easily removed, buckets of good luck vibes coming your way x

Spontaneous resorbtion sounds good! Let's hope for that. I have stayed away from google so perhaps bone chips aren't as bad as they sound?! Though that does beg the question of why she has them so young. 90%+ of her work is on a surface and all our hacking as been in walk. We don't over-jump and have only gone XC twice - both times over BE courses that were watered and aerated and had take off and landing surfaces.

@KP nut - I am so sorry to read this. I hope that a treatment plan is agreed and she makes good progress. Your poor daughter must be devastated.x

Thanks MP. Katie is asking what if questions which I can't answer yet so I think answers will be helpful one way or another.

Spontaneous resorbtion sounds good! Let's hope for that. I have stayed away from google so perhaps bone chips aren't as bad as they sound?! Though that does beg the question of why she has them so young. 90%+ of her work is on a surface and all our hacking as been in walk. We don't over-jump and have only gone XC twice - both times over BE courses that were watered and aerated and had take off and landing surfaces.
Definitely don't google, that's a blanket rule for anything vet/medical related not because you shouldn't about bone chips specifically. And honestly I should try and stay away from asking why, as with most medical problems there is rarely an answer and you just end up chasing your tail :cool: Hopefully you'll know what soon and then you can figure out how to move forwards :)

Oh dear that doesn't sound promising. Here's hoping the XRays/MRI reveal something more hopeful.

I know its not the same thing but at my old yard 2 separate horses were given PTS/field ornament prognosis (prognoses??), and both are back in full work now (including jumping and fun rides) so vets aren't always right.....

Thanks @GaryB ... We are not at that yet. At least I assume (and hope) not!

I do wonder how people know they can ride again when they get a LOU decision made on a horse. Given that horses mask pain wherever possible (and Ginny has probably been in pain for months without me knowing) I am not sure I could ever conclude the vet was wrong to say she should not be ridden or jumped again. That's not a judgememt on the horses you know - perhaps they were told they would never come sound and they did or whatever - but in my situation I would not even try and ride her again if a vet told me she should be retired.

Reactions: GaryB
Thanks @GaryB ... We are not at that yet. At least I assume (and hope) not!

I do wonder how people know they can ride again when they get a LOU decision made on a horse. Given that horses mask pain wherever possible (and Ginny has probably been in pain for months without me knowing) I am not sure I could ever conclude the vet was wrong to say she should not be ridden or jumped again. That's not a judgememt on the horses you know - perhaps they were told they would never come sound and they did or whatever - but in my situation I would not even try and ride her again if a vet told me she should be retired.
Its not always simple, they offered to cut the nerves in Jess' legs when she was lame as she was not expected to ever come sound. But she is and I have regular trot ups with the vet to make sure its not just my wishful thinking and they tell me to keep going with her. When dealing with something like that you get much better at picking up on the little things that most others would put down to a tweak in the field or a stepped on stone, you get better at knowing when to stop or ask more questions :)
I do think vets are generally looking for quick resolution, and if there is no rhyme or reason as to which come sound and which don't in a certain situation, well they give you the worst case prognosis to cover themselves.
And you are most definitely not there yet :)

Reactions: GaryB
Yes that makes sense. But Ginny trotted up sound in the first place - even at Leahurst till they stressed the joints - so I doubt I'd ever trust myself that she is ok. Still I am jumping the gun a bit here. One day and one decision at a time.....

Reactions: Jessey
Yes that makes sense. But Ginny trotted up sound in the first place - even at Leahurst till they stressed the joints - so I doubt I'd ever trust myself that she is ok. Still I am jumping the gun a bit here. One day and one decision at a time.....
You'd learn how to flexion test, and to look for other things not just overt lameness :)

Vet rang. He is scanning the hind suspensory tomorrow as they are concerned about that too now. The waiting goes on...... In the meantime they have started injecting the coffin joints with cortico steroids and injecting something else into the back and making a referral for physio. My own physio is vet registered so she can do the work.

Vet rang. He is scanning the hind suspensory tomorrow as they are concerned about that too now. The waiting goes on...... In the meantime they have started injecting the coffin joints with cortico steroids and injecting something else into the back and making a referral for physio. My own physio is vet registered so she can do the work.
No sign of bone chips then? Did they indicate what they think is happening in the coffin joints?

newrider.com