Getting your first horse when you've got a baby and a 3yr old - recipe for disaster?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Question in the title really. Have arranged a trial period of a pony that I've posted about before and I'm going back for a second try of him before he comes. BUT I have a 6 month old and a 3yr old. Is this madness? Or is this usual first horse jitters? Its obviously a big responsibility but he will share a field with my friends horse and we have agreed that in return for riding him occasionally she will being him in and turn him out every day (winter only). She says she'll be doing hers anyway and I think she's keen for me to get a horse so we can ride out together. So that'll mean I can muck out and poo pick at a time that suits me.

Ooooh I don't know! I do know I'd love my own horse and financially can afford it but are there enough hours in the day?!

I don't know either:D. I'm almost in the same boat I've a 2 and 4 year old and a fulltime job and do my husbands business books as well! i must be mad too because my new horse is on his way to me either tomorro or day after. (after a few delays). The way i look at it is if my OH can manage to get time for his hobbies then he can help me get time for mine:). But i know what you mean not too bad at this time of year but when they are in over winter that's when the fun starts! and I'm phobic about rats and mice into the bargain.

It's amazing how you can fit it all in:D
I was a single parent with 2 children aged 2 and 4 ( 1 with a disability). worked full time . when I bought my horse ! Kids now 18 and 20 they both ride which is great ( I love hacking out with them) and how many problems we solve dureing mucking out, YOU WILL LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT I did:D:D:D

Routine, Routine,Routine!

Agree, just as your have to be more organised with your 2nd baby and things seem so much easier, same with ponio's. Get into a routine - rest is plain sailing. Dark nights are the worst - but if your neighbour is helping you out then no probs. All the very best.

LwtB - spoke with Ali - coming to give me a trial 45 mins less. Will see how it goes! Thanks for the info

)...

That's great Oumbagirl. Make sure you tell her it was her next door neighbour (Debbie) who recommended her so I get my brownie points!! She's so busy I rarely even see her car outside let alone her!

yeah go for it, it'll be a great way to get yoruself out of the house and spending time doing something healthy and enjoyable. the kids will love it as well.
i work full time and am 7 months pregnant and have 3 horses- am wondering how to fit it all in but sure it'll all fall into place.:D

The worst is the Winter time. I think you will find you soon get into a routine and things become easier though. :)

I got Kels in winter - the week before the blizzards set in!

When I was thinking about horse ownership, I couldn't decide whether to get one when it was cold and dark so I was used to the early mornings and freezing evenings, or wait till spring so I was used to the work before the bad weather set in.

In the end though, the right horse found me at an unexpected time - as it obviously has done with you!

Well where there's a will there's a way so they say!!

Have to be honest I chose to wait until all mine were at school before getting back into horse ownership,as couldn't see how I would have the time for the horse without the family suffering,still struggle now TBH at times like now when it's school holidays,and no way I could manage to juggle it all without a lot of help from OH.I do have to fit work in as well though,which I'm guessing maybe you don't with 2 such little people (apologies if wrong:eek:)??

I also don't have such an obliging friend as you to help out (want to send her my way lol),so am sure your situation will be a lot easier than mine!!

Good luck with it and let us all know how you get on:)

you either need a medal or a nanny to help out, well done you!:)
Nope don't need/have either:p

But a good sense of humour is a MUST!

Seriously though you do just find ways to work through and around things. Although it does help if the horse/pony you choose to have is child friendly, makes a big difference.

The other thing I find a godsend is playschool:D I imagine your three old will be starting one soon? And then there's the fact your other is 6 months old....get her into a good routine and try to tie her/his sleep the same time as your other one goes to playschool and then try to make that 'your' time (to play ponies!)

Or if you can afford it, maybe once or twice a week arrange for a nanny/babysitter to look after your littlest, maybe when your other is at playschool or even to look after both for a couple of hours once a week so you can ride out with your friend.

Don't underestimate 'me' time but be aware if 'me' time is pony time it will probably mean getting hair cut time and having nice nails time might decrease

Last edited:
Have to be honest I chose to wait until all mine were at school before getting back into horse ownership,as couldn't see how I would have the time for the horse without the family suffering,still struggle now TBH at times like now when it's school holidays,and no way I could manage to juggle it all without a lot of help from OH.

I too waited until my little girl started at school before I got back into riding again.

I only have the 1 child though although I have an OH who isn't about much of the time (he's spent the last 2 months being away from mon-fri) or could phone me one afternoon to say he won't be home that night so I can't rely on him.

School hols I only do the basics and don't ride as I can't supervise my daughter and ride at the same time.

I made the decision not to have my horsey time impact too greatly on my familiy life. If we had more time together as a family then I wouldn't mind giving some of it up to play horsey but we don't.

Because of hubby's long and unpredictable hours he gets paid well and we made the choice for me to not go back to work to give our daughter some stability. I fit my horsey time in when she's at school and minimise it the rest of the time.

It would be easier if I had family I could turn to for help with childcare as my daughter would benefit from time with other family members and I wouldn't be so fussy about the amount of time I'm not with my daughter but I don't have that. :(

Don't underestimate 'me' time but be aware if 'me' time is pony time it will probably mean getting hair cut time and having nice nails time might decrease

Hair cuts and nice nails?! I don't do those things anyway so no loss there!

Oooh its very scary buying (or even thinking of buying) your first horse isn't it?! But I've got him for a months trial (and the hardest month too as my oldest is on Pre-school holidays!) so at least I'll be able to give it a good test.

newrider.com