Gelding behaviour around mares in heat

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
Ok so I'm struggling to walk out my yard in a calm and controlled manner, yes my marenis in season however she is kept with 3 other geldings and none of there behaviour changes around her, we now have a very dominant male to the left of us and 2 males to the right of us and each time I try to pass they go wild, I mean really wild causing my mare to panic slightly I've managed to keep her under control but this is just ridiculous, they are galloping up and down the fences kicking at the fences bolting in all directions running up from behind her calling its just absolute chaos, I thought at first it was me being nervous some how, I have walked her out with one of her usual companions today and they still went nuts, I don't understand why the heat she is in would affect them in such a way if they are gelded? Has any one else experienced this kind of situation, I really don't think she is being naughty she's generally afraid there gunna jump on her, im really hoping this settles down in a few days or I'm going to have to move yards as I'm trapped in, the 3 horses are new been there around 3 weeks now :(

I've not come across this - but it sounds very stressful and a bit scary. Hmm. There were lots of geldings on our old yard but none bothered madam. You say these are new guys? Wonder if they are riggy? Seems odd all three getting excited! Our J never got excited in that way - despite being surrounded by mares on the yard.

I have to say it does sound rather strange - I wonder if it is because she is in season or because they are all new and just very interested in the new kid on the block? Do they still behave like this when she is around even if she is not in season? Are you sure they are gelded - not suggesting you might have got that wrong but owner might have lied if they are colts and she wanted to find somewhere to keep them - wouldn't be the first time?:(

It does sound a very difficult situation if you are wanting to walk her out past them, and why shouldn't you? Perhaps it might be worth voicing your concerns to the livery owner and see if they can shed any light on it all or offer alternative arrangements perhaps?

Reactions: Jayne and Trewsers
I am going to express my concerns, she shares a field with 3 males none of which bother her at all, she used to run in a large mixed herd and they didn't bother either, she is next to the field which has 1 male in doesn't see much of the other 2 because there opposite and the stables hide them honestly I feel they are poorly trained, they have came but owners don't seem to pay much interest in them, 2 are youngsters so don't no any better the older one is just nuts and craves attention, I have walked her up and down 3 times today and finally they gave up and I managed to ride out I do hope I don't have to go through this every 3 weeks, It's quite dangerous tbh, is there anything I can do to help her through it?

Chances are she might be tarting at them Over the fences.

Kia will mount and enjoy himself if the mare is willing, he will also defend the in season mares along the fence line from other horses.

It's just nature they cannot reproduce but the behaviour is still there. Some geldongs are just more highly sexed than others

It will probably settle down pretty quickly, they are new and its probably all a bit exciting at the moment. You say you think they are poorly trained, what training do you think would help this? I can't think of anything apart from exposure to the situation that would help settle them.

The youngsters are probably just being youngsters in a new environment. They'll get over it, it's called growing up. The older one may also be unsettled by the new home, not all horses settle quickly.

Some geldings are interested in mares that are in season, and if that's the case the gelding's owner is probably finding it at least as inconvenient as you are! When he was younger Jim was a nightmare when the mares started coming into season in the spring & I had far more problems than any of the mare owners.

I don't see what you expect the owners to do, no amount of training or handling is going to alter their behaviour when they are turned out. You sound very critical of these horses & their owners, but just how well do you know them? As I said before some take a while to settle & during that time you often see the worst of them not the best, if the owners know their horses then they know best how to deal with this & in some cases it's to give them time to be horses & get to know their new home rather than work them. To be brutally honest I think you need to deal with your mare & let the geldings owner deal with their geldings, how would you like it if they asked for your mare to be moved because it was upsetting their horses?

Reactions: Jessey
As the owner of a riggy and dominant gelding I can understand your frustration (as I am the person with the idiot horse who is usually causing havoc at my yard!) However I'm not sure exactly what you want anyone to do about it tbh.

I agree with what has been said. It doesn't matter what I do with womble when I am in control of him (and usually he is a very pleasant person to handle) I am not responsible for his own behaviour when I leave him in that field. He was gelded at 8 and used as a breeding stallion (13 this year)

Also they have only been there around 3 weeks? Womble was just starting to settle down about week 7 as he doesn't take to well to change. Maybe that is the issue with these boys. Youngsters will be excited by new situations especially. It's all so new and exciting.

I have walked her up and down 3 times today and finally they gave up and I managed to ride out

Well there you have answered the problem yourself....just keep doing it over and over until they get bored. I do have to agree with the others, there really isn't much the owners can do in this case - I just wondered in response to your first post, if the YO could put you and your horse somewhere else so you don't have to pass them to get out. But it would seem from your second post that is actually your mare's problem more than the geldings.:)

After a lot of walking up and down the lane ive managed to get passed in a safe & controlled manner, she's less reactive to the surroundings, although the geldings are still acting the same, 2 youngsters aren't backed yet so no no better they just curious, and the other has exact same issues under saddle but never see anything of owners, the horse was asked to leave last yard after complaints, if my horse was causing any issues with anyone Id do my very best to resolve the situation, im just saying she's been mixed with various geldings during heat cycles and ive never seen that kind of chaos before, apart from 1, which turned out to be a rig, They also behaved the same with 2 seperate horses earlier today 1 female & 1 male I'm thinking perhaps it may be more herd dynamics in some way?

newrider.com