GATEACRE RIDING SCHOOL - anyone?

I remember Gateacre Riding school very well. I rode there in the 1970s. My sister also rode a few times when she went with friends from Holly Lodge. I also used to work there as a teenager mucking out etc on Saturdays and Sunday's. Marg was the main groom I remember. Jim was a real character he used to say that he used to shoe the horses himself. Although by the time I rode there none of them.were shod. The ponies I remember were Dawn, Kate Driver Romany Merry, Pippin, Squire, Jingles, Cherokee who used to squash you against the stable wall, Badger, Jorrocks, Allah, Simon, Desmond -great fun to ride, a Roan mare - can't remember her name, Toby, Oliver, I have pictures of Desmond with Graham my friends Barbara's brother , as well as one of Simon and Allah. The horses were well looked after if anything a bit too overweight. Jim did have them all PTS when he and Joan retired. Although it seemed harsh I can understand he did nt want them passed from hand to hand.

Happy memories and it was my intro to riding, I stopped for a few years, started again and have been a horse owner up until recently and still riding now. Gateacre's philosophy was a bit 'get on and go ' but I loved it especially as someone has mentioned on here Jim's book and the anticipation of what horse you were to ride.

It's nice to see this thread is still live, even if only just.

I last rode at Gateacre in 1966, the year I graduated and left Liverpool. I never rode in England again, and have only ridden maybe half a dozen times since I came to New Zealand. It turns out it's something you never forget to do, even after a 30 year break (part of looking after students from Denmark and Japan). I even got told, much to my surprise, by the lady at our local riding stable, that I have a good seat. After all, riding at Gateacre was basically just an enjoyable social hack, so I've never really rated myself as a horseman.

I get a little disappointed by some of what's been said about Jim here. He was a bluff old fellow all right, but he had a good heart and clearly had a strong bond with his horses. I can understand his having them put down when he retired. He'd have known with whom they would be likely to have ended up if he sold them, and clearly couldn't face at least some of the prospects. After all, he was the one who kept Cleo out at grass at great expense for it must have been a year or so, in the hope that she would get over her cough. He was seriously annoyed with his hay supplier when she went down with it, and devasted when the end came for her.

As for Jim shoeing the horses himself, that's definitely true. Many's the time I watched him doing it - an interesting operation. I think he must have trained as a farrier at some point, as he made it clear that he was unusual among riding masters in being able to do it.

How thrilled was I to find this thread! It made me join the forum just to reply!

I was very very fond of Jim and Joan and stayed in touch a few years after the riding school closed. They visited me in South Wales when I had my own yard but that's another story!

I too ride there for many years in the 1970's and was also one of the many Saturday/ Sunday girls mucking out tacking up grooming in fact doing anything just to be with the horses. .

When I was there Jim had stopped hacking out as the roads around Gateacre had got so busy ( if he saw them now he wouldn't believe it!) All the horses went unshod but he looked after their feet. He was trained in his youth.

I remember all the horses and ponies names everyone has mentioned.

I remember the absolute thrill the first time he wrote my name next to Allah which meant I was to ride in lead file. I was so proud!

I remember naughty Desmond at the back!
And the stalwart Driver with his creaky army saddle in the middle.
I too ride them all over the years.
I remember Joan's pink lipstick marking Kate's nose

I remember how upset they were when they lost Cherokee, the last horse they bred.

I remember helping bagging the chaff up in the loft of the indoor school from his ancient chopping machine - ha! I remember my Dad repairing it for him!
O and bagging the rolled oats from another old machine up there!

I remember sitting in his Landover or the tack room to have our packed lunches whilst his alsation was let out to roam !

All the memories flooding back.

On a Sunday night after the last ride Jim would take a couple of the horses to a field for a break. If we were very lucky my friend and I would go with him to help. I seem to remember Squire would go mostly as he wouldn't wee in his stable ! Monday was the horses day off and often Tuesday too depending on how many clients they had .. giving the horses a break meant they were fresher and happier.
Jim and Joan would take an occasional break too .. they'd take their caravan to The Lake District.

I have many photos from that time .. I look back and smile. It was an oasis of a place in a suburb of Liverpool.

I was so sad when I lost touch with them through me moving around.

It was Jim's grounding which nurtured my love of horses. I went on to train and work with horses, have my own horses and compete. I still have my own horse now and compete a little even though I do have double hip replacements!

I'd love to hear from anyone from that era!

Thankyou for reminding me of happy times :)

How thrilled was I to find this thread! It made me join the forum just to reply!

I was very very fond of Jim and Joan and stayed in touch a few years after the riding school closed. They visited me in South Wales when I had my own yard but that's another story!

I too ride there for many years in the 1970's and was also one of the many Saturday/ Sunday girls mucking out tacking up grooming in fact doing anything just to be with the horses. .

When I was there Jim had stopped hacking out as the roads around Gateacre had got so busy ( if he saw them now he wouldn't believe it!) All the horses went unshod but he looked after their feet. He was trained in his youth.

I remember all the horses and ponies names everyone has mentioned.

I remember the absolute thrill the first time he wrote my name next to Allah which meant I was to ride in lead file. I was so proud!

I remember naughty Desmond at the back!
And the stalwart Driver with his creaky army saddle in the middle.
I too ride them all over the years.
I remember Joan's pink lipstick marking Kate's nose

I remember how upset they were when they lost Cherokee, the last horse they bred.

I remember helping bagging the chaff up in the loft of the indoor school from his ancient chopping machine - ha! I remember my Dad repairing it for him!
O and bagging the rolled oats from another old machine up there!

I remember sitting in his Landover or the tack room to have our packed lunches whilst his alsation was let out to roam !

All the memories flooding back.

On a Sunday night after the last ride Jim would take a couple of the horses to a field for a break. If we were very lucky my friend and I would go with him to help. I seem to remember Squire would go mostly as he wouldn't wee in his stable ! Monday was the horses day off and often Tuesday too depending on how many clients they had .. giving the horses a break meant they were fresher and happier.
Jim and Joan would take an occasional break too .. they'd take their caravan to The Lake District.

I have many photos from that time .. I look back and smile. It was an oasis of a place in a suburb of Liverpool.

I was so sad when I lost touch with them through me moving around.

It was Jim's grounding which nurtured my love of horses. I went on to train and work with horses, have my own horses and compete. I still have my own horse now and compete a little even though I do have double hip replacements!

I'd love to hear from anyone from that era!

Thankyou for reminding me of happy times :)

I remember Gateacre Riding school very well. I rode there in the 1970s. My sister also rode a few times when she went with friends from Holly Lodge. I also used to work there as a teenager mucking out etc on Saturdays and Sunday's. Marg was the main groom I remember. Jim was a real character he used to say that he used to shoe the horses himself. Although by the time I rode there none of them.were shod. The ponies I remember were Dawn, Kate Driver Romany Merry, Pippin, Squire, Jingles, Cherokee who used to squash you against the stable wall, Badger, Jorrocks, Allah, Simon, Desmond -great fun to ride, a Roan mare - can't remember her name, Toby, Oliver, I have pictures of Desmond with Graham my friends Barbara's brother , as well as one of Simon and Allah. The horses were well looked after if anything a bit too overweight. Jim did have them all PTS when he and Joan retired. Although it seemed harsh I can understand he did nt want them passed from hand to hand.

Happy memories and it was my intro to riding, I stopped for a few years, started again and have been a horse owner up until recently and still riding now. Gateacre's philosophy was a bit 'get on and go ' but I loved it especially as someone has mentioned on here Jim's book and the anticipation of what horse you were to ride.

I have a photo of you with Barbara and Graham Thompson - I think it's in the loft but if I find it I'll post it on here x

There were 2 roan mares Dorothy - Gale and Storm. I think they were sisters. Cherokee was Storm's son.

Hi Many of us must know each other as we where riding at
Gateacre Riding School in the mid to late 60s. Such riding
Schools gave horse mad children like me the
opportunity to ride as owning a pony was out of reach
financially. I was lucky enough to own my own horse
as an adult and still have horses and ride
Helen

I think I may be getting mixed up. I've just remembered the riding school was called Childwall Abbey Riding school. Owned by Sheila Lavery. If it is not the same riding school then it is very close by. I just google mapped the area. Difficult to find where it was as so much has changed. Down Priory Road I think. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong!
I used to go riding at Childwall Riding School in the mid 1970s It was owned by Sheila Lavery. She would let you have a lesson in return for mucking out on a Saturday. It was next door to the Childwall Abbey Pub right at the bottom of Childwall Abbey Road. I remember riding Tango - she was my favourite pony.

Hi

Ive just joined this forum because I was looking back at when I used to go riding years ago and thought I would google Gateacre Riding School to see if i could find any old pics (other than the ones I had myself) on the internet and it led me to this post...

It was back in the seventies when I used to take two buses to get to Gateacre Riding School on Grange Lane, I would live for every Sunday just to ride there. I lived in Anfield at the time, and I was of much amusement to the people on the bus as I boarded in my riding attire! Back in those days (and probably even more so nowadays) it just wasnt the "done thing" and so I generated a lot of interest being in the city!

Other than Driver a big black Fell who was usually my main ride and my "first love", I remember Ala, Hamish, Merrylegs, Misty, Horrocks to name a few (surprising myself at this remarkable memory bearing in mind I cant usually remember something from the middle of last week!) We used to ride outdoors in the arena when the weather was good, trotting, cantering in a circle and each of us taking a turn in middle, simple things...there was also the indoor "arena" a cold stone building which was used in bad weather. I remember Irene who always led the class on Ala, she was a lot older than me and always reminded me of June Allinson (really showing my age now!) It wasnt a riding school for jumping just a place where you could indulge your love of horses...Jim was a bruiser of a man ruddy faced always in an oversized jumper with wellington boots and he carried a walking stick, I dont remember him ever using it in a harsh way just as a nudge to those horses who would have rather preferred to be snug and blanketed up in their stable. His lovely wife Joan was a slip of a woman but she was so lovely and friendly.

I also rode at Childwall Riding School but wasnt too fussed on that establishment. This riding school was on Childwall Priory Road just almost behind the pub. Owned and run by Sheila Lavery who i think went on to run Maypole Riding School?

After Gateacre closed, I also went to Tarbock Riding School and rode Saxon.

Ive attached a pic of myself on Horrocks and one of Driver whom i still have the hairs of his tail taken just before he was pts...At the time i never understood why Jim chose to have the horses put to sleep...but in this society today where animal cruelty is beyond belief, yes, I understand now...

View attachment 75283 View attachment 75284

Hello, I’ve just found this site. I gave up riding about 10 years ago, I also rode at Gateacre Riding School. I was at Jim Blundells quite a few years before you. I also rode Driver and Romany and a few other horses that I can’t remember their names. There was Dawn, my friend rode her. I remember Allah, or Ala and Joan used to ride him. (beautiful horse)
I was about 7/8 when I started riding there, before that I used to ride on my parents friends pony. That’s where my love of horses began. I continued riding until I married and then afterwards I started a riding club with another teacher at the school where I worked.
I was very sad to read that Jim put his horses to sleep when he gave up the school. My mother cut out the newspaper clipping and sent it to me.
I loved Driver, he was a big softie, when I was mounting him he used to sometimes turn round and nip me on the bottom ( playfully, not with any malice!)
They were happy days, used to ride through Woolton Woods and up by the fields there we used to do a big circuit...all built on now, but in those days we lived very close to open countryside. it’s nice to read about others who enjoyed riding there as children.
All the best. J

Reactions: Huggy
This is a very, very long shot - BUT

Does anyone remember (or know anything about) GATEACRE RIDING SCHOOL in the Woolton area of Liverpool? I learnt to ride there in the late '60's early 70's. It has long since closed. I often think about it as it was a rather Dickensian suburban riding school with a dusty cobwebby old indoor school in the middle of Gateacre village.

The instructor was an extraordinary man called Jim Blundell. I've tried Googling it, but there isn't info about. There was one worrying thread that suggested he had shot all his horses, presumably when it had to close down. It's just the sort of things he would have done. He loved them all dearly, but at the same time would hurt his walking cane at the ponies if they didn't behave - I always worried about them tripping if they got tangled up. (I was only 8 or 9 and did not know that a broken leg meant the end.)

I can still remember the names of many of the horses and ponies there - even after all this time.
I rode at GRS mid to late 70's. I remember riding Alah for the first time, I think I was about 8 so it was a big honour for Jim to let me. I also remember a small chestnut named Henry, but none no one has mentioned him. He was a section a type. We only rode onsite, no hacking allowed. I still have 2 of my own. Would love to see pics if anyone has any.

Just came across this thread. Fascinating. I started riding at Gateacre in 1964. Memories are still fresh. The earliest horses I remember are Dawn and Driver, Driver's half sister, Bramble. Then there was Jonathan and Juliet, Storm & Gale and Storm's son, Cherokee, Jingles & Romany and Simon (a little dun pony and my favourite) and Merrylegs and Wildfire. There was little Penny, who was, I think, 33 when she was finally put down .
Ala came later and I loved riding him. Jim also bought a skewbald cob for himself called Kate. Another later addition, Desmond, was a firm favourite of mine.
He bought a mare, Annabelle, who one day down at The Track, kicked Little Dan, Joan's favourite pony and broke his leg. Needless to say, Annabelle was soon sold.
Before The Track, down at Allerton, was made available to riders, we used to ride all around Gateacre and Woolton. There were still lots of fields to canter in then.
My sister, friends and I spent every spare minute up at the stables, helping Delia, Margaret and Chris to muck out. They were wonderfully happy times and we made so many friends.
Jim and Joan eventually sold their house in Allerton and had a house built from one end of the indoor school, so that they could be on site. They bought a German Shepherd, Major, as a guard dog.
Jim certainly was a character. I remember him saying to me that he couldn't get 'soppy' over a horse like we girls did, but he'd sit up all night with one if necessary. However, he could be a bit handy with his walking stick from time to time. I remember poor Simon, who wasn't an easy ride, getting it occasionally. I didn't like that.
Jim and Joan came to my wedding in 1973 because they'd been such a part of my childhood.
Selside - I think your 'Fjord' pony may have been Juliet? She had a very high, curved neck. Jim hogged nearly all his horses' manes (except Ala, the Arab), which we all hated, but he thought they looked 'neater'.
I remember the parties - one was definitely at Reynolds Park. The daughters of its then owner rode at Gateacre. He also hosted a meal at his house in Halewood, was it? Gosh I just can't remember his name or the girls' names. The horses are much easier to remember!
Maximus - I do remember Irene, though, who as you say, usually rode Ala. I recognise Driver in your photograph and I think that's Merrylegs in the background. Horrocks, I don't remember. Was he a late addition?
Joan had this idea for having a Social Section and a few of us used to meet to arrange activities, but it never really took off.
The reason the indoor school was full of cobwebs was because Joan thought it was bad luck to remove them! That's what she told us anyway.
Now I'm remembering two more ponies - Buttons and Bubbles. Bubbles was a small grey who was lame for ages and it turned out he'd broken the pedal bone in his foot, just like the racehorse, Arkle did. He had to be put down. We all cried for ages.
And yes, when Jim retired he had every horse put down and held each one while the deed was done. He said he didn't want them to end up neglected. It was a strange decision and not a popular one.
Well, this has been a real ride down memory lane. Apologies if it's a bit rambling. I wonder if we ever met back then? We rode for ages on a Sunday afternoon and prior to that on a Wednesday evening.
After I went away to college, I rode just when I came home.
Only just been shown this post by a friend. I’m Janet Butler, my sister was Sue Butler. Our mum and dad were owners of Butlers Catering, based in Penny Lane and they did functions at Reynolds Park, Allerton Hall and Dovedale Towers. Our home was in Halebank. I’m now 65, sadly Sue passed away 2 years ago from diabetic complications. She adored Driver, Storm and Allah. I learned to ride on Penny (36) and Danny in 1962. Loved Wildfire, Juliet, Gale,Jonathan and later Squire and Jorrocks, also Desmond, little beggar that he was. I kept in touch with Jim and Joan until they passed away. They came to both our weddings and were good friends with mum and dad (who both passed away when I was 28). I now live in Scotland, can no longer ride due to arthritis but Sue’s daughter has just qualified for the British National Dressage Championships next week. I’m loving reading everyone’s memories of happy times.

Reactions: Madamspook
This is a very, very long shot - BUT

Does anyone remember (or know anything about) GATEACRE RIDING SCHOOL in the Woolton area of Liverpool? I learnt to ride there in the late '60's early 70's. It has long since closed. I often think about it as it was a rather Dickensian suburban riding school with a dusty cobwebby old indoor school in the middle of Gateacre village.

The instructor was an extraordinary man called Jim Blundell. I've tried Googling it, but there isn't info about. There was one worrying thread that suggested he had shot all his horses, presumably when it had to close down. It's just the sort of things he would have done. He loved them all dearly, but at the same time would hurt his walking cane at the ponies if they didn't behave - I always worried about them tripping if they got tangled up. (I was only 8 or 9 and did not know that a broken leg meant the end.)

I can still remember the names of many of the horses and ponies there - even after all this time.
Hi, I have only just been sent this by a fellow rider. I’m Janet Butler, my sister Sue and I rode at Gateacre from 1962. I’m now 65, sadly Sue died 2 years ago. I learned to ride on Penny and Danny. Favourites were Juliet, Gale, Wildfire, Jonathan and later Squire, Jorricks, Allah and Misty. We kept in touch with Jim and Joan right up until they died. They came to both our weddings. When he closed, he did have all his horses humanely put to sleep and stayed with every one of them. He couldn’t bear for them to go to anyone who might harm them, especially the unscrupulous people at Childwall. Someone actually broke into the yard one night and was throwing sugar into the horses’ eyes. Any riding school parties at Reynolds Park would have been catered for by my mum and dad who ran Butler’s Catering Services until they passed away in 1984/5 when I was 28. I too can remember all their names, I can see them in their right stables around the yard. Loving reading everyone’s memories! I now live in Scotland but can’t ride now due to arthritis 😢

just found this . started over two years ago.
I used to ride at Gateacre Riding School owned by the Laverys. Early 60s. I remember horses called Paddy .. a bay. Clipper .. a huge skinny horse. Flash a small black pony with a tiny white flash. I remember safety wasn't a high priority and I'm not sure how well the horses were treated.
That wasn't Gateacre. That was Childwall.

newrider.com