GAH.... stop feeding treats to my horse

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
Last night I was doing some gridwork with Rubic (we were meant to be having a jumping lesson tonight but transport fell through so I just thought I'd give myself a jumping lesson:unsure:).

Anyway I luckily had a friend to change jumps around etc but she had to leave before I was done. I got off and changed one jump into a spread and as I was walking back to the mounting block Rubic started trying to dig into my pockets and was (very gently) nipping at my jacket.

Now if she hadn't been trying to get into my pockets I probably would have been thinking "hmmm something is up with her" but to me it seemed very obviously a search for treats!

The reason I instantly jump to that conclusion is that when I hosed the mud off her hooves when I brought her in friend instantly came out with a treat and fed it to her without even asking me if it was ok. I hate treating Rubic. I occasionally give her an apple or carrot if she has been good at a lesson or show and generally I actually put them in her feed bucket. I have used treats to help her get over her irrational clipper and spray fears but the treating was short lived and she never got it in her head that she was always going to get treats. I wasn't well at the weekend and friend field checked her for me. Her horse is a total bargy, bolshy, brat, possessive (to the point of aggression) because her owner was constantly feeding her treats (in the field, after catching, when walking her in etc). I hate treats in the field as it causes fights but what I hate even more is people feeding my horse treats without asking me if it is ok first. This person knows how I feel about giving horses treats, she knows I am trying to keep on top of Rubic's weight (not that I think a couple of treats will do her any real harm when it comes to her weight). I think I'm going to have to mention it next time I see her.

It could well be that she was just trying to say "right we are done now" but I'm more inclined to thinking she was on the hunt for something tasty. I hate telling people what to do and what not to do but I'm getting sick of this, it is almost like what I say goes in one ear and out the other. Rubic is my horse and it should be up to me how I reward her. I'm not a slave driver - Rubic always gets a bucket with a handful of chaff after I've ridden and I constantly talk to her and praise her when she has done well. But a treat when I've hosing her hooves down - that is something routine that I would expect her to do treat or not, it is not something new I am teaching her, it isn't like she puts up a fight and I need to reward her when she doesn't. I am just mad about it to be honest!:banghead:

It's so frustrating when people feed your horse treats! I'm in the same situation as another livery kept putting haylage out of him during the evening. Thankfully my horse has now changed fields with loads of grass and is muzzled so this has stopped.

I think that you need to have a very honest chat with your friend. As hard as it may be, you need to put your foot down.

When I was working my dad used to go and get my old horse in.....and stuff him full of flippin' treats.

So much so he bacame a pocket raider and a pain in the backside. No matter how I tried to ban my father giving him packet on packet of Polos it never worked. IN the end we came to an armed truce. I NEVER gave him polos and he soon learned that badgering me for treats was a fruitless exercise. My dad could have all the bad manners and live with the consequenses.

I'm bringing her horse in for her tonight as she is on a backshift. I'll definitely see her over the weekend though and will mention to the YM as I know it might not just be her (Although I'm pretty sure that the others in our field don't get treats either)! At least if I say to her and mention I'm going to bring it up with YM to ask if people could stop feeding treats in the field etc it won't seem like I'm saying Rubic getting nippy is all her fault.

I know what you mean Wally. I can always tell if a person has been feeding her treats when they go up to her and she instantly goes to their hands/pockets. She very rarely tries it with me because she knows I don't give her stuff and she'll be given into trouble but when she does I know it is getting bad! I just worry that one day she'll try it with someone and hurt them (what if one of the kids at the yard or one of my little cousins was there and she nipped them a bit too hard - pulling at your jacket is one thing but it won't take long for it to get a bit harder I think).

newrider.com