gadget to measure how many miles you ride?

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
is there such a thing?? i thought it'd be nice and interesting to have some sort of device (like a step-o-meter but for horses) to tell me how many miles long our rides are? is there such a thing that isnt a full blown satnav (which i dont need and which wont have reception half the time!!)??

I have an ap called 'Trails' on my phone that is supposed to track where you've been, time taken, fasted speed etc etc and will plot it on Google Earth, I think thats what hubby said, but I keep forgetting to use it :redface:

I have a Garmin 305 that tells me distance, speed and heart rate if I have a heart rate monitor attached to it :happy:

I have a couple of apps too on my iPony (SportPal and MapMyFitness? I think anyway) and they are supposed to track your routes.

I too keep forgetting to set them, and on the occassion I have remembered, I took some photos along to way, and got back to find using the camera caused the app to stop tracking! oops!

I have a Garmin which works excellently, so I can tell you for each ride I did in the New Forest -

• how far we went
  • how long it took
  • how much time we spent standing still as opposed to moving
  • average speed
  • top speed - and
  • how many metres of elevation we climbed!

I love it. It has the Ordnance Survey maps on it too so it's great if I get lost.

Bad news - not cheap, especially with maps. It was a very generous Christmas present from my OH (so I shall forgive him for staying out to watch the Champions League final without telling me).

I am interested in the iPhone app too, though, because I like the sound of the Google Earth link. You can do this on the Garmin but only on a PC, and I have a Mac.

My phone has a GPS app on it but it's not terribly accurate where I ride and it eats the battery. I tend to use the GMaps site to work out distances too.

I use the mapmyfitness app - it's really good, gives you the goggle map, distance, speed etc and gives you the option to post all that straight to facebook. However I find if I run it for more than about an hour it wears me battery right out. I have an in car charger but worry there'll be an emergency and I'll have no battery. I tend to do the same dozen or so routes so once I've tracked it once I can just time myself.

That geomaps pedometer thing is great. I just tracked our hack today up on the downs and we did 10.3 miles. It's very cool being able to see where you went and get the distance.

I have endomondo on my phone - tracks your route and puts it on google earth, tells you how long, average speed, how many calories you've used etc. You can set it for cycling, walking, horse riding etc. TBH all I ever do is start it when I'm setting off and stop it when I get back and then look at where we've been on the map - that's when I remember to use it! Does use a lot of battery power though.

worked it out now :)

hm... our 'really quick' ride after work is 2-3 miles, the slightgly longer route 4 miles! not very long :frown:

longest appley has done so far was 3.5 miles!

how long are everyone elses rides, the everyday ones rather than proper long weekend outings?

The longest after work ride we do is probably about 6 or 7 miles, mostly we do about 5.5 miles in the evening though.

From our yard it takes about 30-40 mins to get onto the Downs so in the week we can only do a quick one up there and usually do the bridleways around the bottom of the Downs.

newrider.com