Funny Yard Talk - add yours

MistyGal

Jan 24, 2011
Norfolk
:bounce:
When I am at the RS yard I work at every Sun, I regularly talk to the horses like humans as I am doing things like:-
'Pippa I am just coming in to put your cardi on' (rug)
Or
'Davie (chestnut) Hello my Ginger Ninger!'
Or the old bomproof cob we have. One day when lots of us were in his stable were having a good old chinwag one of the women said maybe he (the cob) would like to talk about knitting
I said 'Na I reckon he's more of a Crotch stitch kinda guy!
Oh Dear, that came out wrong lol (holds head down with embarrasment)

So whats the funniest things you have heard down your yard? ? ?

Last year, in a total numpty moment (one of my many), I was describing how Izzy fell in the warm up ring with my sharer. He slipped on the wet grass and went down on his hind legs.

BUt I couldn't think of the right word so I said 'He fell down on his back knees.':bounce: So at our yard 'Back knees' are now an official term!

I also talk to Izzy like he is actually listening to what I'm saying. I'm sure most people think I am totally bonkers.:redcarded:

Hehehhee, good thread!
I remember when I used to have lessons, when we put the horses back in their boxes, RI used to ask if we wanted to put their "pyjamas" on!!!! hehehehe, I just loved putting their rugs on at night after we'd ridden!!!

I talk to my two like they are listening, honestly, I live in themiddle of nowhere, but I'll be the odd walker has often gone past chuckling to themself after having heard some of the "conversations" I have with them in their field!!

"come on priness lets get your jim jams on so you can go to peeps" was a reguar in our stable over winter!

I heard of one girl who was picking out her ponies feet. Her boyfriend asked her if she had a spare hoof pick so he could be doing the others... lol

When my Mum visited last summer she asked if it still meant horses are angry when they put their ears back.

I remained very straight faced and said that the horses had decided to change their mind and that ears back meant they were actually very happy at that moment in time.

Mum's reply... "oh really?!"

I talk to Bailey (my loan horse) all the time! I tell him I'm sorry if I give the wrong aid, or I tell him not to be silly when he steps over puddles. I also put his 'pyjamas' on :nerd: I never call it his rug, always pyjamas, or jammies!
And I always say thank you when he gives me his feet to pick out............

I talk to Bailey (my loan horse) all the time! I tell him I'm sorry if I give the wrong aid, or I tell him not to be silly when he steps over puddles. I also put his 'pyjamas' on :nerd: I never call it his rug, always pyjamas, or jammies!
And I always say thank you when he gives me his feet to pick out............

Awww I always say thankyou too... :smile:

My OH when meeting my share 17.1 Gelderlander for 1st time and said... ' 'now that looks like a proper horse'. I asked him what do you mean, he said.. ' well the 1st one you had (scruffy cob) just didnt look like a proper horse'... lol.. bless

Last race season OH always made me laugh with this. Before the race he would give a pep talk to charlie. Im like al, he can't hear you! He's got his ear plugs in :biggrin: Good job too with some of the things he would say if he didn't run well lol.

hmmm, I got caught talking to the empty stable today!

My friend is bringing him in so I made up his tea and was talking as if the pony was in the stable!!

another friend came up and said, oh what you doing in old man - oh! where is he!!!

I explained that I was just doing his tea - and she was all - err, right, carry on!

so, not only do I chat away to him all the time, I even talk to his empty stable!!!!! :redface:

Another one here who says 'thank you'. I hope that if I'm polite to her, she'll be polite when I'm riding..:wink:
And I put her into her jim-jams every night...:wink:

Do you say sorry too?? I often find myself accidently not having head collar right or taking too long to put hay net up for her liking..... I am always saying flippin sorry... I honestly think I am more polite with her than my OH... hehehe

Nearly had heart failure today... OH untied her and thought hed take her for a walk as i was in barn round corner... when she was gone i nearly soiled myself lol,
I found him talking to her too... oh you like this bit of grass etc etc (thank god she behaved though.. she has been on box rest for last 4 weeks....)

I chat to mine all the time - I even do it out hacking, I tend to explain what each thing is when we pass it if she is looking worried... I'm sure people on bikes or with dogs or whatever think I am a total lunatic but it seems to work (although I haven't tried not explaining so maybe she would go past ok anyway...)

When we are going somewhere in the lorry I talk to Izzy through the little window. When I had someone else in with me they said 'Izzy must think his name is 'Good Lad' but only in a Northern accent.' I asked what she meant. SHe said you keep saying 'What a good lad. You're a good lad hey Izzy'. But she said the weirdest thing was that I didn't say it in my normal Aussie accent, I used a Lancashire accent.

My Dad always calls our dogs 'Good lad' in his Northern accent and I never even realised how much I use it with Izzy! Even copying his accent.

newrider.com