Fun Showing Classes

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
So tell me all about novelty shows for children/adults.
The only thing I have done equivalent is take my dogs to these when it was silly things like waggiest tail and most handsome dog etc
There are a few very small and local shows to me that wouldn’t involve a lot of work I don’t think (hollow laugh there!) and my daughter has started asking if we could take my horse to one. Now while jumping and other showing classes are out of the question for him, we thought it would be a bit of fun to enter some of the lighter ones just for a laugh and for something to do with him.
I did think of taking him to a few just to spectate (can you still do this ? I know that friends have done it in the past with their horses) so I can get an idea of if he is going to be ok at these or not – if he’s to excited then it won’t go any further.
So ! If he’s going to be going to anything like this – can I leave him as he is? Does he need to be tidied up at all as in hogged or clipped? He’s a skewbald HW cob with a good amount of feather on him. What would I need to wear ? :unsure:
Do novelty classes of dress up etc exist ? My horse won’t care about things on him, but I just want to introduce it to him gently if he is going to be going out and having a bit of fun.
Thank for any help.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
We have done quite a few fun shows and novelty classes over the years, they are a brilliant way of introducing a horse/pony to the showing world without the usual stress that can accompany showing.

Yes you can box up and take him for a walk around but chose the show, many rings are no were near the parks and have working in rings- these get quite busy and hectic, we rather go with in at the deep end , they have to learn so if you are taking them out you may as well show, so we would do at least one class with them , more if available and they where up to it, chose so you can enter on the day so if one class is enough for both of you then you don't lose money on pre entries. You need to do more than one show to get a judge of how they will cope or not, some can be saints some are habitual sinners (Acorn is betwixt - can be an angel then the devil incarnate in the space of a class - Whereas Charlie and Nuts have been angelic right from the start - Tess could be brilliant but it much depended if she was in the mood - if she wasn't it would be one class and go home)

You need to wear what you would for a normal showing class - its still showing even though it has the word Fun attached!

the Novelty classes can vary dependent on the show and can often be directed towards children rather than adults, but don't let that stop you - Fancy Dress, hariest , even the handy pony (check no age limit) obviously if you have young jockeys available as well then that opens up more classes, just check height and age restrictions, they do apply even in Fun shows, but family pony things like that can be useful intro.

If you are doing novelty then tidy him up but leave as much hair on as possible, mane , tail and feathers -

Just go and enjoy yourselves and don't put pressure on either of you - can't wait to hear how you get on!

Agility can be fun> its obstacles and its not restrictive with dress like a "show" class
There are all sorts of fun obstacles you can do at home too.
I dress up cavaletti with feather flags use "holiday door people" as cones to weave around. Pinwheels can be fun too.
You can make your own "course" at home to play with!
Pool noodles too. Tires.of=50,480,480.jpg 0714131623.jpg of=50,480,480.jpg 232323232fp43846-nu=3546-333-236-WSNRCG=396878-6-8327nu0mrj.jpg 1228141242a.jpg small.jpg 0718130708b.jpg 0616131722b.jpg
There are so many fun things you can do.

Reactions: Lemme and Trewsers
Ben and I do lots of fun classes. Most shows are really laid back and are all about having fun. We do classes such as 'best condition', 'best turned out', 'most handsome gelding', 'judges choice', 'best mane and tail' etc...

People wear a whole variety of gear. I wear my standard show gear of cream jods, long black boots, white shirt, tie, black jacket and blue hat (I know the jacket and hat don't match). Other people wear tweed jackets, yellow jods. Some wear cream trousers and waistcoats. Some wear riding hats, some wear flat hats, some even wear jeans. I think that as long as you are clean and tidy it doesn't really matter.

Horses are also turned out differently. I tend to show Ben naturally with his long mane and tail, although this year I think that I will plait him as my plaiting skills have improved! He wears his normal bridle with the reins over his head, but some people have proper in-hand bridles and some even show in head collars.

The shows are normally very calm if you are doing the in-hand sections. Everyone walks round then one at a time you have to trot one long side. Then the horses are lined up and one at a time you present your horse to the judge. They look at him, prod and poke, lift under his tail and ask a few questions. You then have to walk away from the judge and trot back towards them. Then you all walk around again and they pull you in order.

I really enjoy it. All the shows I have been to have been fun, clam and confidence giving. Ben tends to do well in them.

We have also started to do horse agility and that is fun as well. We are not good enough for the competitions yet, but hopefully towards the end of the year we will have a crack at them.

My mate's show (the grass sickness one in my signature) has some classes which are noveltyesque.
What I would say is, if you're not sure, enter one class so at least you've paid to be on the field, and then you don't have to take him in if he's acting silly or you don't feel like it. I think thats generally how folk do it if they're not taking another horse to compete with.
We have adult fancy dress, best thelwell lookalike (Flipo inspired apparently) and a novice ridden class - which can be novice rider or novice horse or both - its just a walk trot version which is really good for those of us who want to ride but not keen on dismounting for the judge to ride or cantering.
I'm sure he could happily do some inhand classes, maybe practice with him trotting up if you think that could be an issue getting him to move with you.
I'd go with hairy, I think they split most classes for natural vs manicured (can't remember the techy term they use!). If you clip his feather, I think you have to hog him as well and go the whole distance. Unless you want to I guess!
We had a novelty agility course as well for the kids which had spooky obstacles. Good fun, and at a very local level you'll find everyone is very laid back about dressing correctly etc, just show up smart and with a smile!

newrider.com