Frustrated with myself..

JCilenti

Apr 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just started taking English lessons after an 8 year break. When I rode before I didn't really learn much because I was only able to do it for about a month and a half before we couldn't afford to keep up with it. Now that I'm older and I'm able to financially support myself I'm taking riding back up. I just had my second lesson today and we were supposed to get into working on the trot and posting but I had such an issue with the very basics we had to keep working on that. I seem to be unable to keep my heels down and my lower legs tight, I keep squeezing with my knees without realizing it. My horse kept slowing down and stopping even though I wasn't giving her cues to stop, and then when I tried to cluck and have her walk I had to really squeeze with my legs, causing my heels to go up and my posture to get out of whack. I also had a huge problem with steering, she was following my trainer and ignoring me pulling on the reins to turn her. I'm in no way blaming the horse, I just want to know what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it. I was frustrating myself, my trainer, and my horse.

Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no easy fix answer, we can tell you how to ride but it is something you need to learn for yourself! Same with any sport, a high jumper can tell you to run with the pole and then jump but that's not enough for you to go out and do it!
Just be patient and listen to the trainer and do the things they say. There is a lot to learn with riding, and so much has to be done at the same time, it can be frustrating learning! As long as your instructor is actually giving you advice and you're not just being led aorund and they don't say anything at all, they'll be saying much of the same we can say, although they are in a better position as they can actually see what you are or are not doing.
Horse riding isn't easy, and it takes years to learn and master. I find with horses you are constantly learning, theres new dressage movements or higher jumps, young/green horses that need education, etc.

Enjoy the journey!

Reactions: JCilenti
If you forget you ever rode and look on yourself as someone who has had two lessons then your body is reacting like any beginner's.Work on seat and muscles before worrying about rising (posting) and control. Perhaps ask for a couple of lessons on tthe lunge?

I found a lot of what you wrote quite muddling.
Just a few remarks. First it is normal for beginner school ponies to walk to the teacher. The teacher may give them treats and if they walk to the teacher they stand still and get a rest.
Then forget about pushing you heels down. Pushing your heels down will stiffen you, and lift you out of the saddle. Try relaxing instead and feeling the movement of the horse through your seat.
Breathe deeply and slowly. Count the steps.
Don't jamb your legs on the side of the horse. That won't make him move. It will stop him moving. A horse needs to swing his body from side to side when he walks to make room for the hind legs to step forwards. So if your legs are held tight on the horse it is like putting on a brake.
If your teacher does not explain this and makes you feel everything is your fault, do think about finding another teacher. I suffered terribly from my first teacher. You should be enjoying yourself and enjoying the company of the horses

Thank you for your reply. She kept repeating "heels down" and coming to push my legs into the position she wanted them in, when she did that I felt it was very difficult to keep a connection with the horse through my legs. I'm going to pay close attention to the way she addresses the issues next time to see what she really needs from me.

newrider.com