From fat to fit ( A plus size riders diary)

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I started boxing day with my healthy eating.... normal foods in smaller quantities and logging on.... My Fitness Pal..... I started at 266 lbs now down to 262 lbs in less than a week.... I am ballooning being stuck in while my partner is ill need something to keep me occupied at home and losing. Then my exercise regime to include...

5 mins cycling warm up, 10 mins rowing machine..... 10 mins ijoy core workout using hand weights...5 min cycling cool down that's for aerobics.
30 knee to shoulder pressups
30 min moderate walk everyday around the area I live.
120 stomach crunches per day in 3 x 10 sets over 4 periods during the day
17 min upper body work out off utube fitness video ( a beginners weight training video with weights)

Ride Melody at walk/trot 45 mins 3 times a week if possible, walk inhand Glennie when ever possible and Swim twice a week with my young rider Sophie

This will be adjusted as I get fitter and stronger

I want to be slimmer and fitter for my ponies, logging it here will keep me motivated through out the year

Last edited:
Rode for an hour today on my fortnightly lesson... transitions stop/walk trot upwards and downwards... working on my position and riding a corner. I was puffing and out of breath towards the end of my lesson.

Hope I see improvement in my riding through my work outs and lessons.I know I am enjoying riding again and in turn feeling more confident.

Now to do my walking and aerobics for the day. My fitness pal reckons I will be 243 lbs by the 7th of feb...... lets see how close to that I can come :)

My fitness pal reckons I will be 243 lbs by the 7th of feb...... lets see how close to that I can come :)

Good luck! I used MyFitnessPal to loose 3 stone and it worked well. I lost 2lb per week by sticking rigidly to the calorie intake and learnt what I had to eat to keep the weight off

Reactions: Native Lover
I need to re start a food diary on My fitness Pal. Had a long bad cold so no real exercise lately. And riding less as Grace has been lame.

But Native Lover, (congratulations by the way) your description of your exercise routine seems to include quite a lot of equipment? Do you go to a gymn? Do you have things at home? What do you regard as essential in the way of kit?
And how much of what you do would be doable by someone in their 70s?

I need to re start a food diary on My fitness Pal. Had a long bad cold so no real exercise lately. And riding less as Grace has been lame.

But Native Lover, (congratulations by the way) your description of your exercise routine seems to include quite a lot of equipment? Do you go to a gymn? Do you have things at home? What do you regard as essential in the way of kit?
And how much of what you do would be doable by someone in their 70s?

I did have bits I had bought 2nd had at home but now selling this As I have caught the bug and joined a gym with a swimming pool :) its only £5 a week so I can go as often as I want..... I do 30 mins gym a day and 1 hour swim a day 4-5 times a week and I am now down a stone on my beginning weight......

I think my gym routine is do able by someone in there 70's... 5 mins stationary bike to warm up..... 15 mins... walking on the treadmill ( I vary the gradient and the speed to make it easier or harder)...... 5 mins rowing machine and 5 mins cool down stationary bike..... swimming is relaxing.

I would say a stationary bike or rowing machine all can be bought cheaply off ebay...... any of these would help with fitness. I am not expert but the weight is coming off.

1 stone...... 2lbs down :) I have dropped a dress size in just under two months..... Not sat on Melody since late jan but another half a stone and I will get back on her..... cannot wait. :D she how ever has been enjoying time out being a scruffy pony :)

That's amazing! Well done :)

Reactions: Native Lover
1 stone...... 2lbs down :) I have dropped a dress size in just under two months..... Not sat on Melody since late jan but another half a stone and I will get back on her..... cannot wait. :D she how ever has been enjoying time out being a scruffy pony :)

Really well done :) keep on like this NL and you'll be back sitting on Melody in no time :)

I need some inspiration again. I lost 5kgs between June and Oct last year. My goal was to be below 60kgs. I got just under my goal. Since then the weight has crept back on. I'm back up 4kgs. I keep eating even when I'm not really hungry. I just pick all the time. I need to snap out of it. I was hoping the couch to 5k thread would give me inspiration but I just can't run at the moment. I am walking to the yard again in the mornings rather than driving but I haven't lost anything as yet by walking more.

newrider.com