Friday night lesson update for all the people that gave me advise

ebonyallen

Apr 19, 2009
Hi to you all, and first of all a very big thanks to everyone that gave me the support and encouraged me to go.
I went along a bit nervous of what to expect having been on any other horse apart from mine since loosing me leg. As soon as I got there just new it was going to be the right place, they came out and already suggested a dressage saddle which is what I now use at home, so first worry out of the way. I met my trusty steed Earl bless him about 15 hands, got on no prob,and off to the school with in a few mins the instructor said we did not need to be on a lead rope, walked around did 20m circles and then into trot,yes all still great. They watched me then asked if they could run along side and hold leg, why not so off we go and WHAT a difference to my balance and control already could not believe it,so we are thinking down the lines of velcro on pair of chaps and some how on a girth sleeve to see if this helps.
So already other people with thinking caps on,one lady new good friend of Lee Pearson, and another knows one of the trainers for the last para Olympic team think I am still in shock going to ask them for further advise.
This place is about 10 mins away from the farm where I keep mine, who would of thought it in a tiny village in Kent. Have another lesson booked for this week, I know its only the start and have a long way to go but hey for the first time in two years I feel that something good is going to come out of this, sorry I am going on again, pics will be coming but I am !!!!! on laptop so waiting for help how to do this , to many names to mention but thanks to you all you know who you are XXXXX :)

oh, great :D
you can get velcro straps (or bailing twine) which go through the stirrup and round the girth which hold your legs in place. dont know if that could be any good?
:)

Thanks we did and at the moment still use the straps but I think because its the whole leg and not just the lower part, the limb is so big and heavy it still goes back and not having my thigh to grip with just this heavy plastic or what ever its made of it drags the whole of my right side backwards, any more thoughts keep them coming,we are not even sure if this will give enough hold so just going to try and see what happens, think I just need a giant velcro stap to keep me on board lol take care x :D

I'm so pleased that went well for you!

Have you spoken to the department that supplied the prosthesis and asked their advice? I don't think you should underrate how much they would be prepared to help - and it may be a problem they have come across before........... got to be worth a phone call.

fantastic news :D
ditto above - got another friend with a specific riding leg (although that's below knee) and it makes a huge difference - AND they are going to design a long leather boot to go over the top of it ;) - friend with above knee is also in talks about having a riding leg designed but that's in early stages so far as she's having awful trouble just getting a walking leg sorted due to how short her stump is...
keep us posted :D

Hi Tetsmum and Posie,
Thanks have done nothing but try to get these people to help me out, but even to get the correct one for walking at been a nightmare, it looks horrid and I am told that is all there is unless I have thousands of pounds to get one from elsewhere. They have not come across any one with my needs before and say they have asked around and no one else does either !! When they sorted out my leg I had about half an hour to try it and then I am told make sure this is what you want because they really will not be happy if you say later its not what you want, I tried to tell them need to Road Test it on fields uneven ground and to ride in and was told that was not an option so what can you do !!
My doctor is very good, because I want something better he has just written to the Douglas Bader unit to see if they will take me on to try and help, as they are supposed to be the best in the country so will have to wait and see.
Thank you for your thoughts it does help me to keep on trying and it means alot x x :)

umm - yes - i have heard that they can be a bit like that...
let me speak to my sis and get the name of the place they recommend for riding legs etc - she's an amputee physio who rides and who treats quite a lot of riders!
i'll pm you any info i get :)

Another leg suggestion for you. I think the idea of velcro chaps to thew girth is great but if this is still not strong enough how about one of the dressage saddles with thigh and knee rolls. I use the Bates Innova (just cos my siting trot is rubbish not because of any disability. I have the extended knee block which looks naff but holds my leg down to my knee. I saw the other day they have now brought out a Wintec version for half the price and this comes with movable thigh blocks too. May be if you support the upper part of your prostic (sorry re spelling) leg the velcro straps and or the chaps velro on to the girth will help hold you leg steady.
I love my saddle but it did take some getting used to but I felt really unbalenced after I injured my arm and the Innova extended blocks saddle gave me the confidence I needed. About 4 months ago I had to go back to my Bates Isabell while the Innova was being reflocked. Felt all over the place again and very insucure.
As your leg is swinging back I guess this will only help if you can get the thigh blocks too.
Glad the lesson went well
J

Hi there thanks for that I do have the Wintec dressage but does not have the thigh bit so will go back to shop and see if they know or have one that I can check out what it looks like, re the spelling please do not worry I always refer to it (apart from horrid thing !) as my false leg as I still get it wrong lol.
Do not know if you can help me out I was sent a very kind message by FeeStuart it was a PM have tried to reply and it will not send just says error so do not know what I am doing wrong and I do not want her to think that I am being rude by not answering as she took the time and trouble to help me out with advise any idea what I am doing wrong ?
I hope that your saddle continues to help you as it is great when you do find something, still waiting on the heavy duty velcro hope will have by next lesson on Friday. Thanks again for your advise

Chrissie x x :)

i' havn't managed to speak to my sis yet but am down visiting her this weekend so will have a chat then - i havnt' forgotten!!
re: fee - i'll let her know you're having trouble contacting her ;)

Hi there thanks for that I do have the Wintec dressage but does not have the thigh bit so will go back to shop and see if they know or have one that I can check out what it looks like, re the spelling please do not worry I always refer to it (apart from horrid thing !) as my false leg as I still get it wrong lol.
Do not know if you can help me out I was sent a very kind message by FeeStuart it was a PM have tried to reply and it will not send just says error so do not know what I am doing wrong and I do not want her to think that I am being rude by not answering as she took the time and trouble to help me out with advise any idea what I am doing wrong ?
I hope that your saddle continues to help you as it is great when you do find something, still waiting on the heavy duty velcro hope will have by next lesson on Friday. Thanks again for your advise

Chrissie x x :)

No problem, I'll pm you with my email which you are welcome to contact me on. :)

Thanks again posie, have tried to contact and was sent back so tried another message and would not send because she needs to delete some of her pm s and the email was sent back as well not having much luck here but on the case lol

umm - yes - i have heard that they can be a bit like that...
let me speak to my sis and get the name of the place they recommend for riding legs etc - she's an amputee physio who rides and who treats quite a lot of riders!
i'll pm you any info i get :)
I am possibly looking at an above knee amputation in the future... I would be interested in the types of riding legs there are if you have any links! I am in the US so unsure if anything will be available

I am possibly looking at an above knee amputation in the future... I would be interested in the types of riding legs there are if you have any links! I am in the US so unsure if anything will be available
This is a really old post and I’m not sure the OP is around anymore, perhaps start a thread of your own and see if anyone else can weigh in. I have a friend who is a double amputee, both above knee and he still rides, I could ask him which legs he uses if you’d like though we are in England so possibly not the same options as in the US.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com