Freelance dressage trainers who compete....

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
On the BD data base, comes recommended. Excellent trainer....but keeps letting me down. Lesson every two to three weeks. I want weekly, and told him so at the start. Keeps changing day (ok not such a big deal). Cancels if he's sick (sneezes once), cancels if it rains.

Makes special arrangements to come with me to a competition, lets me down the day before....going away for three days competing.

I'm utterly and thoroughly bewildered, as when he IS there, he gets good work out of me.

Is expecting a lesson every week, expecting too much?

Last edited:
No, it's not, especially if you specified that you wanted weekly lessons right from the start.

My old BD trainer was great, he never cancelled on me even when he broke his ribs and would always tell me in advance when he was away. I tried to cancel once when it was blowing a gale (every tree had it's own tornado) but he was on his way and the lesson went ahead anyway!

Some of the professionals in the horse world would NEVER get away with their behaviour and timekeeping in the 'real' world.

I hope that you can get more lessons in, it must be really frustrating especially as he's a good trainer x

I wouldnt expect that from anyone, seems darn right unreliable bordering on rudeness.

Its a shame they get good work out of you, but is it helping you if your getting it so irregularly?

It would really annoy me to be messed around like that! especially after you had requested from the start.

Would it be worth looking for someone else... surely there has to be better out there?

noo , my instructor teaches , schools clients horses , competes her own horse & for clients too.

i have a weekly lesson , she puts 100% in , turns up in heavy wind & rain , will get on my horse if things are not working, & if i need to reschedule she trys to accomodate , she even gave my pone a makeover when i went on hol & asked her to do a few schooling sessions to keep him ticking over!

Thank you for that. As you said Bay Mare, it's especially frustrating as his method of training works for me, and he's very encouraging, and when I hit the deck a fortnight ago, he was brilliant.....

I don't think he quite understands what I've been trying to tell him, and that is that realistically,at my age, if I'm going to do it, then I need to do it now. I won't be able to ride for ever, and I could do with his co-operation -YESTERDAY!:confused:

Guess I need to start looking around don't I?? Aaaarrgh!

Shame as he works for you, but if you cant have the level of commitment you need, its not going to work for you in the long run?

My trainer (not that I've had a lesson in over year!lol) competes to a very high level, but she says straight out she cannot do every week, but she always has a diary and her competitions are well planned ahead so that she can figure out along with her client what day/week is best for next time :)

I dont think its to much to expect him to stick by what he originally agreed would be doable.

I only have one client (kirky) who I took on because she pleaded effectively :D and understood and accepted from the outset that because of my 'day job' and my competition activities that I can't be same day/every week. Her job is equally variable and she has family so we both fit in around everything and try to be as flexible as possible. It does lead to some interesting lesson times :lol

That said I would expect differently from a full-time professional, although would accept that they can't meet my needs 100% of the time. My 'home' trainer is a List 1 judge and competes herself and we've got used to fitting in around our schedules much in the same way as Kirky and I do. Must say she's never cancelled me once booked.

I don't think you're expecting too much - if you're paying them and made it clear that you wanted weekly lessons then they should either accomodate that or tell you straight.
My YO (also my instructor) is terrible at time keeping but will never not turn up - even when he broke his foot falling in a ditch during the first cross country clinic of the day he continued to teach for another 4 hours before going to A&E.

Maybe you could have a lesson with your current instructor when you can, but also have more regular lessons with someone else?

newrider.com