Fitness/Training Regime for BHS Le Trec

Bertie

Nov 6, 2003
South Manchester, UK
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a fitness schedule for my share pony. She is pretty fit now after a summer and autumn of hard work but a friend from the yard has mentioned that maybe come spring/summer that we may like to join her and her horse on a BHS Le Trec weekend. This will require a great deal of fitness on both our parts and I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on a good regime I could work on over the winter.

I have no school as such but plenty of off road hacking which allows plenty of up hill walking and trotting and also some up hill cantering. I can only ride at weekends as well :)

Thanks in advance :)

Do you know what level you're going to be doing? If it's a level 1 then just about any hacking fit horse will manage it fine, we've done two and they were no problem at all. So just do plenty of hacking :)

It's enjoyable and worthwhile to practice some of the obstacles you will come across in the PTV, most of them are quite easy to set up and practice and they can be useful things to work on in their own right.

I absolutely loved it and I wish I had transport so I could do more, we're rubbish at most things but did OK at TREC :D

Thanks Yann, the horse I'll hopefully (**fingers crossed**) taking has done it before with her owner (I share her) about 4-years ago and according to my friend was fantastic at everything and I think theycompleted stage 1 and maybe 2, not really sure. I presume I'll be doing stage 1, as I've never done it before.

She is a pretty good pony and is open to lots of things and is really starting to trust me in what I'm asking so we shouldn't have too many problems ;) just any water we come across she's not too happy about :D

I'll keep up with my hacking and try and get out every weekend both days aiming for at least 1.5hour a day over a variety of terrians :)

The good thing about TREC is that if you don't want to do one of the obstacles you can miss it and just not pick any points up, so water isn't going to be a showstopper for you if there is some :)

newrider.com