Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
I’ve been riding for a little over six years now and I may be getting my first horse soon. Prior to this I’ve used the horses the stable provides and I’m used to grumpy, older horses.

He’s a 16hh three year old thoroughbred gelding, son of Raison d'Etat. With a very sweet personality and calm temperament, as well as being extremely eager to please. A direct quote from his trainer- “He tries to always answer the question, even if he doesn’t know the answer, he has a heart of gold.” He has his basics in hunter/jumper but still isn’t fully sound in them, and would need someone to help build his confidence and reinforce needed behaviors. He’s also not spooky even in new environments.

I’m 5’3”, but still have a few inches to grow and strongly prefer larger horses, they give me confidence. I’m a beginning jumper, and again have ridden for six years, in addition I’ve managed to become very close with one of the rudest, brattiest mares on the premises and at least friendly with all but a small few of the other horses, and the stable has at least 22. I am always gentle yet firm when working with and riding the horses, and not afraid to reprimand unacceptable behavior, such as pinning ears or pulling to get to some grass, with only necessary harshness.

Do you think he’ll be too hard for me? Do you think he’ll be a good match for me? Or do you think I’d do better with a different horse?

Any tips on training would also be greatly appreciated.

No, please no. Young horses and novice owners just really do not mix and TB's can be a challenge at the best of times, please seriously reconsider, perhaps read this thread https://www.newrider.com/threads/new-horse-new-me.254479/ to see the kind of heart break that can come from the purchase of the wrong horse. If you are still dead set then you absolutely must take your trainer with you for a viewing (as it sounds like you will also be expecting them to help you with bringing the horse on) and get a full vetting done.

Lol you're 14 according to your profile - this is in older riders?! (Sorry, I am always nosey when we have a new member :) )
Welcome btw. What jessey says is very true. I would not take on a young horse that needs bringing on - I've owned them over sixteen years and don't feel I could manage one. Not saying you can't - but you've been riding six years - and haven't owned before. I think there is an awful lot to consider and a first horse shouldn't really be one that needs so much teaching and training. I've been lucky and always had ready made ones - and they are challenging enough!

Lol you're 14 according to your profile - this is in older riders?! (Sorry, I am always nosey when we have a new member :) )
Welcome btw. What jessey says is very true. I would not take on a young horse that needs bringing on - I've owned them over sixteen years and don't feel I could manage one. Not saying you can't - but you've been riding six years - and haven't owned before. I think there is an awful lot to consider and a first horse shouldn't really be one that needs so much teaching and training. I've been lucky and always had ready made ones - and they are challenging enough!
Yeah, I posted in older riders to get responses from people who are older and would probably have better reasoning. Sorry if you feel I’m intruding!

No, please no. Young horses and novice owners just really do not mix and TB's can be a challenge at the best of times, please seriously reconsider, perhaps read this thread https://www.newrider.com/threads/new-horse-new-me.254479/ to see the kind of heart break that can come from the purchase of the wrong horse. If you are still dead set then you absolutely must take your trainer with you for a viewing (as it sounds like you will also be expecting them to help you with bringing the horse on) and get a full vetting done.
Alright, I’ve been pretty dead-set on this sweet boy for about three months so while I certainly have lots more caution at this point I think with the help of my trainer I could probably do this, and if worst comes to worst we can turn him over to the stable since they take horses for their schooling program all the time.

Reactions: Jessey
Do think long and hard - there's nothing more heart breaking than getting your first horse, and it being totally wrong for you. You're in the lovely position of being able to get one at your age (I would have killed to be able to do that - had to wait til my 30's!), so take your time and be 100 per cent sure before you take that plunge. Saying all that, I know it's hard when you've set your heart on a particular horse, have experienced people with you, and bear in mind the cost of the training and bringing on a baby, before you decide. Hope things go well, whatever route you take next. :)

Sorry but you lost me. You say this horse is three. And has his basics in hunter /jumper. I'm not versed in TBs. What do you mean by hunter jumper. Is this some assessment the horse has gone through. At three I would only just expect the horse to be backed. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
No, this horse would not be suitable for you, it is far too young. If you are 14 years old, go and buy a pony you can have some fun on. Something older (about 10 to 14 years) that can teach you to jump and ride properly. When you are older and have more experience with horses, perhaps think about getting a baby then (at 3 years old this horse is most definitely a baby). Now is the time to learn the foundations with an experienced horse and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Sorry but you lost me. You say this horse is three. And has his basics in hunter /jumper. I'm not versed in TBs. What do you mean by hunter jumper. Is this some assessment the horse has gone through. At three I would only just expect the horse to be backed. Maybe I'm missing something.
Hunter riding is simply just walk/trot/canter, nothing fancy, he knows all that and simply needs someone to give him some confidence. He’s been introduced to the concept of jumping as well, and theoretically could jump 2’6” but hasn’t jumped anything yet.

Hey, just to give a bit more perspective. I’ve ridden all types of horses, from the sassy old mare who kicks anyone within three feet of her rump, to the gentle giant.

Some of my favorites so far have been these:

A sassy mare that will literally kick anyone that gets too close to her rump, other horses included. Also is lazy as a rock. She bucked with me one time, that was actually quite fun. Same one mentioned above in this comment in addition to the original post. Will run off and/or make faces if a horse is deemed too close in general.

A lazy old gelding who will avoid work like the plague and will throw you if you twopoint just a little to early before a jump. Gave me a nice facefull of sand too. He’s sweet though.

Sassy younger mare, has a lot of get up and go, but likes to bite other horses and make a bunch of nasty faces.

A very sweet gentle giant, and by giant I mean 16.1, 16.2 hands. Does everything when you ask, excellent ground manners, and very sweet. Is honestly very similar to the horse i’m looking into, albiet older, coloring included.

An ex-racehorse. Also a thoroughbred, he bites, kicks, and will bolt on you if you kick too hard or hang on his face. Certainly a very interesting and fun ride, although quite challenging.

I hear you saying that you have done pretty well riding the riding school horses, and that is great. But they are all horses with established skills at being ridden, whatever their quirks.

Any horse at 3 is really just starting his ridden career. What he needs is a rider who can ride absolutely consistently. What your trainer said about him, that he "always tries to answer the question"? That's wonderful, and he may have a lovely temperament. But a young horse needs a rider who can ask him that question the exact same way, every single time it's asked. That's how he'll be trained. Can you ride as well as the person who is training him at the moment? If not, then be kind to yourself and kind to him and let someone buy him who can, because it'll be easier for him that way.

The only way I see that this could work is if the person training him at the moment also trains you, and that person can take charge of both of your developments at the same time. That is absolutely possible, but you need a very very good trainer and a lot of their time, which is pretty expensive for most people.

Reactions: Huggy
Alright, I’ve been pretty dead-set on this sweet boy for about three months so while I certainly have lots more caution at this point I think with the help of my trainer I could probably do this, and if worst comes to worst we can turn him over to the stable since they take horses for their schooling program all the time.
I'm glad you get the reason for caution, it's a lot about how you would have to teach a young horse a lot of skills still, ones where having only ridden lesson horses you simply won't have had the opportunity to learn yet, and I don't mean any disrespect to you, your trainer or the horses you have been riding, it's just you won't have had the opportunity to learn them in that situation. Getting your own horse is a huge responsibility and no matter how friendly you are with your trainer etc they won't always be there to help and at the end the final decision will be on your shoulders as it would be your horse, for this reason alone an older horse is better because they are more forgiving if you don't get things perfect the very first time :) many horses who are quiet at 3 become a handful after a little while as they grow up and test the boundaries, my Anglo Arab didn't try his luck until he was 5 but was super quiet up until then. Plus there's the thing that you wouldn't just be able to get on and go do all the things your friends might be doing with their seasoned horses, because of his age (you risk over facing a young horse and making it sour), getting an older horse would allow you to get on and really enjoy it and do all the things you want to do straight away :)

@chunky monkey hunter jumper is American term for an English ridden horse, I guess riding club type is the closest in UK terms.

Alright, after reading this through, I’m very sad to say that I will probably give up chasing after him and see if i can find an older horse who has already done their rounds, but I will certainly suggest that the stables buy him, as they have excellent trainers and would probably love a new lesson horse, as many of theirs are getting older and retiring or sadly passing. I honestly think it would be best for him to do this, but when I’m older I think I may look for him again, just to see where he ended up, and if he’s for sale again, now being older and having been trained, in addition to my skill level advancing as well. Thank you all for your help!

Do you think she’d be a better match for me? I was hoping for someone a year or two younger but I think she’d be very nice.

https://www.myrighthorse.org/available-horses/mare-thoroughbred-from-huntington-jane This girl also looks pretty nice, definitely seems like a fun ride.

Aww, poor baby. I think I’d be a good match for him as well.

Anyone who sees this, which of these three do you think would be a good fit for me?

Reactions: Jessey
Oh only you and your match will be able to decide if you're right for each other! The adoption agency, if that's the route you're going down, will assess your suitability against the horses they have available. You have an exciting time ahead - keep us posted, and when you find "the one" we love pics! For what it's worth, I think you're being very responsible with your decision.

Oh only you and your match will be able to decide if you're right for each other! The adoption agency, if that's the route you're going down, will assess your suitability against the horses they have available. You have an exciting time ahead - keep us posted, and when you find "the one" we love pics! For what it's worth, I think you're being very responsible with your decision.
Thank you for complimenting my responsibility! Will also definitely upload pics if/when I get a horse! For now you may all enjoy my favorite sassy mare doing a big blep.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I'm very relieved to hear you've changed your mind about the one in your original post, it would take a near miracle for that not to end in badly for both of you. I'd also question his suitability for the riding school you go to, not least because he's too young for that level of work.

Aria sounds like she's come out of racing and gone straight to being a brood mare, so no experience as a normal riding horse. I'd say that makes her unsuitable for what you want. Jake there really isn't enough detail on for me to have an opinion, but pity isn't a good reason for buying.

I think you'd be better off getting a "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" schoolmaster that you can have some fun on and be safe. Having your own is very different from riding school horses, something that people never realise until they've got one. Buy something that feels comfortably within your limits, if it's a good horse you can always sell on if you later find it isn't enough.

You have made a very difficult but responsible decision there, well done :)
I think really you'd need more info on either of the other 2, it doesn't give you a whole heap about their experience, so I'd talk to the rescue and see what they say. A good thing to do is write a list of attributes you want from your ideal horse, them when you look at one be sure to ask about all those things to make sure they meet all your needs :)

I think 1 thing to bear in mind is that tb's are likely to cost more to keep than say a stock type breed, they just generally require more feed, more hay, more blankets etc so you may also want to take that into consideration when looking for your new best friend :) keep us updated on your search and share about your lessons until then if you'd like :)

Can I add to Jessey's idea of a list? I'd say make four - must, would like, would rather not, absolute no. For instance for me it must be good to catch, I'd like it to school nicely, I'd rather not have a mare & it absolutely must not rear high - obviously there are other things I'd add to each list. The first and last list are the crucial ones but the other two can focus your mind and if you find the would rather nots outweigh the would likes it probably isn't worth wasting your or the sellers time visiting the horse.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com