First Hornet Experience!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Out riding the cob started trotting off and sort of bunny hopped at the same time. I thought of a horse fly under her belly as those have her flick her legs before now.

I turned round and was able to push it off with my stick, but the bugger was insistant it was coming in to land again. So I was waving my stick over her bum like a crazy woman!
The sod landed again above her tail and I tried to hit it with my hand. I didn't kill it as it flew off but it got the message that we were not on the menu.

For size comparison, it had to be an inch wide and long.

We get loads here at home. They are scary coz of their size (and sting!) but are actually more peace-loving than wasps. Noisy though!

Whatever it was she reacted and I responded. She obviously knew it was not good to have on her bum.

Reactions: LindaAd
http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/woodwasp04.jpg

Was it like this? these are quite common and don't sting, but they are HUGE and make a lot of noise when they fly and have about as much grace through the air as I do.

It was plump.
My first thoughts are a giant moth. Even butterfly size.
It's the second time I have one land on her bum.

As an aside she has just been treated with Spot On, (3 days ago) is anyone else finding this ineffective this year? :confused:

http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/woodwasp04.jpg

Was it like this? these are quite common and don't sting, but they are HUGE and make a lot of noise when they fly and have about as much grace through the air as I do.

Ah, giant groober !lol we used to have wood wasps visiting at the other place. They only came in hot weather usually around August. Even my mother's claim that they do not sting did not deter me from becoming an absolute girl and hiding in the lounge (until I realised one was resting on the coffee table leg but that's another story) they are sooooo noisy tho!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
We get gigantic bugs /hornets over here that we call DIVE BOMBERS!!

They are really big to the point of its scary to try to hit it with a bare hand.
and they DO BITE.
I'm soooooooooooooooooo glad I don't see a lot of them.

I use fly predators here for normal flies and even using fly spray on the horses - when one of them comes around noting works but to try to kill it.

newrider.com