First ever go at long reining

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, Ziggy is off work because in remedial shoes. For the last 2 weeks Steve has been away and I have been on cafe duty, and during this time my friend and Ziggygroom Carol has tried long reining the boy.

She said he was fantastic so I took it on trust and today I thought I would have a go. I tried when I first owned him and it was a complete bolt-and-flee catastrophe, but he has come on a long way, the Zigmeister.

Carol had warned me he can be wary of the long reins before they are attached but he didn't turn a hair. He did have a pony moment when he saw the kit and he tried to duck and run into the long-grass paddock, but a firm "stand!" soon put paid to that!

I put on his bridle and roller, untangled the long reins, threaded them through, clipped them to his bridle, untangled them again, said, "Walk on Ziggy," and we were off!

I long reined him across the paddock, up to the gate - he stood while I opened the gate, walked him through it, he stood while I locked it - down the bank and turned right up the lane - walked up the lane, pulling into passing places to wait for cars - a bit wobbly, well very wobbly, but walking, trotting and whoa-ing beautifully on command!

I was interested that he paid attention to me the whole time, at least one ear backwards throughout. We had no problems with steering or brakes and a very quick willing response, much more like the ridden than the led Ziggy (he can be a real pony to lead). He tried to nap back to his friends a couple of times but it was very easy to prevent, just a light pressure on the rein to get him back on track.

It was very rewarding to do, I was surprised how much fun it was. I will try to take him out several times a week from now on as preparation for going back to ridden work. The trotting will be good for me too!

He is such a good boy :inlove:

I love your work ethic Jane. You just get on with it and give things a go. I would have been too scared to give that a go, especially out and about. No guts no glory as they say and what a good boy Ziggy is! How are his feet coming along? Any idea when you'll be able to ride again?

newrider.com