Finishing our "Big Ride"

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have decided to finish our big ride (we started it in the summer but we had to pull out of after 75 miles due to the weather and Jess getting a massive hematoma on her back) M did the first leg with me but now she has decided she doesn't feel up to finishing it so I will be riding the last 50 or so miles alone, which I am happy to do, Jess is a rock star and so long as I can manage the map we will be fine :)

Origianally it was planned for 2 longer days, but as we now have less daylight (I'm going to set off a week on friday) I'm going to split it into 3 days to be on the safe side. Mum is going to drive support again, though we are giving in and renting a little lorry so we can set up camp beds in the back rather than being in a tent :D but it also gives me piece of mind in case of emergency.

I'm excited to be finishing what I started, a little nervous as I only decided this weekend but we did a 22 mile ride just a couple of weeks ago and HRH was great. I guess I'm more nervous about where we are staying, Jess had M's TB for company last time, this time we will arrive alone and I'm worrying she will try to escape her corral to get to other horses, not that she ever goes near electric fence normally. Its all good experiance though, I want to ride wales next year and will be doing a lot of it solo, without even mum for support.

Has anyone used those apps which send an SOS if you are immobilised for too long? do they work well or have glitches? if it send an SOS to my mum unecessarily she will totally freak out :rolleyes: I'd just rather be over cautious and I know mum is worrying already about me riding alone, I don't think she realises I spend a lot of time riding alone.

Wow that sounds amazing!! Well done. Impressed. Don't know about SOS apps, but I am an ultra runner and on long runs on the middle of nowhere I use an app on my phone which has a tracker on it so my OH can see where I am.

Oh how fab Jessey, I remember the start of your ride in the summer, I think you are a little bit bonkers though completing it in the middle of the winter with the short days and cold temps :p

Bonkers perhaps but it's still pretty mild out, I just hope it stays relatively dry.
I have a forerunner 110 Krissie, I shall have to see if it can do what you're talking about, it's only the Base model so perhaps not but I've been browsing other apps today and some look like they do.

How exciting!!! If Tobes is sound next year and you decide you want someone to ride Wales with you - I would love to come along!!! Am sure he would be exceptionally well behaved with so much work!

Yes sjp, would be lovely to have some company [emoji2]
Jess certainly settles when we are doing mileage, she never knows how far we are going so conserves her energy

We could make a plan - depending on when you wanted to do it - Tobes won't be back in work til spring, so couldn't do anything before July/August

newrider.com