Finally! I went to the RDA orientation tonight.

laura jeanne

Jan 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
This was a general orientation and the "hands on" training is on Saturday. I have been wanting to do this for over a year but my work schedule was in the way. Now I have time and so OH and I went.

Saturday we will train for catching and haltering a horse (hehe) and then have leader training. This would be leading the horse but they also want you to train to be a side walker in case they need you for that. I don't think I am welll-suited for that since I'm rather short, but I'll do the training anyway.

Really, I would like to be only what they call a "barn buddy" which entails going there once a week (or I'm sure you could go more often) and giving a horse some special attention by a good grooming, bath, etc. Their tack room also needs to be straightened out and organized and there are lots of plastic bins of toys for the children that are all messy.

I thought I would like being a leader but now I am not so sure about that either. I think I would just like to go spend time with the horses but I do love being with children too so we'll see.

There seems to be so much preparation work for the classes. Everything has to be thought out ahead of time - things like figuring out which horse and which tack and special equipment for each rider and most of the riders need a leader and 2 side walkers. Helmets are all labeled by number and have to be picked out and put on the riders, there are forms to sign in and out, notes to take on the lesson and the rider and the horse during the lesson and probably many other things that come up.

There are 3 locations for disabled riding and the one I'm going to has therapeutic riding as opposed to hippotherapy. And there are so many safety concerns since the volunteers are responsible for the riders the whole time they are there.

Well, I''ll post again here on Saturday and let y'all know how it goes!!

It sounds very interesting LJ :) And very worthwhile too. I'm sure even "just" being a barn buddy would be great, after all, horses thrive on a bit of one-to-one special attention and a yard can't always provide that themselves on a daily basis. But you never know, you might really enjoy the leading bit! (I bet it's very tiring though :eek: ) :D
Anyway, looking forward to Saturday's update :)

Thanks Est, I have just read through the manual, we are having a quiz on Saturday!

It will not only be tiring, but the temp is in the mid 90s here and stays just about that hot til the sun goes down and then it is still hot but just not brutal.

Yeah, laura jeanne it sounds great! Good luck with the quiz on saturday - will look forward to hearing how it went. Working at an RDA place would be something i'd like to do too so am interested to hear how it all works out. Keep cool :)

OH and I went to the training - 5 hours!

We taked up a horse, practiced being a leader and a side walker, practiced leading the horse to the mounting ramp, emergency dismounts for the rider, and heard about a lot of other things, mostly about safety.

You cannot be a "barn buddy" until you have worked there for a year, sad to say.

We have signed up to be substitutes because I will probably be taking several trips in the near future and you have to make a firm commitment to be there for 12 weeks if you want to be a regular helper.

The only bad part is that it is an outdoor (covered) arena and so the heat is very bad and I'm sure when it gets cold, it will be extra cold.

[ (I bet it's very tiring though :eek: ) :D yes very i volunteered as a leader /side walker for 5 years at my local rd center and its fun but lots of work especially when you have to trot

A *year* of leading before you can take "retirement" to the barn? :eek: LJ, you're going to have HUUUUUUGE leg muscles at this rate! :D
The outdoor school could make it difficult - I guess you'll have to layer clothing and appropriate hats as needed, and take plenty of water when it's sunny! But it sounds like the orientation went really well - hope you enjoy being a helper :)

I volunteer at my local RDA - i love it, the kids get so much enjoyment out of it. I also help with a disabled vaulting group - very inspiring to see what those kids can do, especially when i get up to have a go and realise how much hard work it is!!
Well done for getting in there and helping them out :)

The tiring bit is definately right! I just got back from a morning of teaching and am knackered. Doesn't help that Pumpkin wasn't playing nicely this morning so had to drag her round to get her to trot as she refused to trot for her rider off the lead :mad: A lot of our riders are supposed to be doing grade 4 this summer, and they have to trot off the lead - what to you do when your riders are capable but the horses aren't!

Hope you enjoy helping with RDA laura jeanne, aside from the tiring bit it is really enjoyable, all our kids are such good fun and we have a nice laugh with them. Especially this morning when one of them couldn't quite remember what colour Pumpkin was and came up with "Palomumbo" :D

The side walking looks hard because you have to basically have your arm up above your shoulder for the thigh hold. When your arm gets tired, you have to tell the instructor, she tells the rider/leader to stop, then you have to change positions with the other side walker (who is holding onto the rider??), and then start up again. I would probably last about 2 minutes on each side if the horse was one of the bigger ones!

According the the literature, there is also vaulting and carriage driving and an animal communicator. Since there are 3 locations here, I don't think any of that goes on at my location (but I could be wrong).

I hope they call us but if they don't, I will probably go for some of the first few sessions just to watch and get a better idea about how everything works. I think they have an instructor and up to 3 students at a time in the arena.

newrider.com