Finally found a horse! Duke arrives tomorrow Woo hoo

rookierider

Sep 24, 2007
My RI found me a lovely horse after a long search.:D Woo Hoo I could scream it from the roof:D

Leave tomorrow at 7:30am to go fetch him, I am beyond excited!!! I have hardly slept since bought him Wed. he is totally scrummy and a big gentle giant. I have been bouncing on the spot and fit to burst all week. It was all I could do to leave him. I had no clue what it felt like to find 'the one', once I hacked Duke that was it. Totally smitten on the spot.

After being seriously over horsed and a bad accident I had zero confidance, only been riding 1.5 yrs W/T/C in school. Had 1 ever hack out (30 min lesson on roads in walk/trot). My RI is beyond amazing to get me over the accident and to even try horses in an open field. I even like canter now! I'd have given up without her, she is also a lovely friend.

Despite being scared on any strange horse I hacked Duke (with RI, who bless her gave me a verbal 'boot' not to be a wimp, so glad she did:)) and he was a total angel! Open field, then road with lorry, van, motorbike, screaming kids, dogs, a van and banging trailer, then a lorry with crane/flashing spinning light with stripey barriers and guys working on the road in vis gear (at that point I thought he would whizz off or spook at least, or even I may die:eek:). Just reassured Duke and he didn't even look at it! He stayed straight, with an even pace and I didn't even feel any tension underneath, no change whatsoever! he must have felt my fear though! After we passed that without him batting an eye and feeling chilled I felt so safe I trotted him ahead alone for a little bit and back up the yard drive. HUGE major breakthrough for me even though will sound sooo wimpy to all your brave ones! Absolutely loved it!

In fairness it was only a walk and trot hack but having had one bolt off with me when went to try it I'm very scared of strange neds

I hope sooo much he never changes. If he can look after me that well he will be with me for life.

Attachments

• dukeandshetland.jpg
    dukeandshetland.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 115
Oh he sounds nice Debs! Well done, lovely colour and what a handsome face! You lucky thing! Lots of pics tomorrow and GOOD LUCK! xxx

Good luck. He looks and sounds amazing. What a lovely face. Lets hope the lovley boy can restore all oyur confidence and give you even more than you had before. Look forward to lots of pics of the handsome chap:D

Oh he looks amazing! He's so handsome too :D! Hope you guys have loads of fun and many years together, he looks like a really genuine, gentle sort of lad - congrats for finding him :)!

ETA: And I'm a 'wimpy one' don't worry ;)! My RI has to really work hard to get me to trot in an open space without me getting teary - got no reason for it, just lost my confidence; i used to be a brave one :p! Any achievement is personal, and if you're proud of yourself, anyone who's got a nice bone in their body will ne too ;)!

Last edited:
He looks really lovely.:D

please dont take offence but can i just ask, in his ad it says that his owner has sadly "outgrown" him,how on earth can anyone outgrow a chunky 16.3hh ???
Or was it ridden/experience wise they outgrew him?

please dont take offence but can i just ask, in his ad it says that his owner has sadly "outgrown" him,how on earth can anyone outgrow a chunky 16.3hh ???

I thought the exact same thing! He looks such a friendly chap though, I hope you have lots of fun with him!

I'll reply for rookierider as she is with her gorgeous boy right now :D

Yes you're right it was ridden and experience wise that they outgrew him, not his fault at all :)

Thanks to you all for the lovely messages.

Sorry I have been really busy with Duke, thank you to Horses4eva888 as she knows I've been running up to the yard like a happy yo-yo.:D , can't wait for her to meet him Friday night and have fun with him too.:)

He is officially gorgeous:D.:D Loaded first time, led him off quietly. He stands stock still to groom & rug with a big floppy bottom lip. I totally adore him!!
I am used to being bitten and the odd cow kick from my previous horse at the sight of a brush! Duke loves it though and was like putty. Gets mild sweet itch though pure fella, roll on the cure. Any tips would be welcome. On garlic and 'stop itch' cream at the mo.

Leads in and out to the field really calmly, used to having one bounce me down the field so it is just bliss and I appreciate even more after a very lively warmblood to handle.

He is like a big teddy bear and even great with my little girl, he just licked her and let him brush his legs. Hope to get to ride him tomorrow although will be next week before first real hack as working all weekend:mad:
Will try load some pics but new to this so bear with me....;)

Dark patch under his eye is where he's rubbed to itch himself, bless him but it is growing back thankfully. Feel so sorry for him getting this, pesky flies!

Attachments

• 100_1809.jpg
    100_1809.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 23
  • unloading.jpg
    unloading.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 22
newrider.com