Finally braved a hack!

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
It's only taken 5 months but yesterday i finally braved going out the field and for a hack on Comet. I've been worried sick I'd let him down as he does need you to be confident. Anyway we had an amazing time!

Seen all sorts! 2 pigs, cows, heard 1700 pigs, a cherry picker, went over a railway line, under a railway line, met mum, dad and the dogs. Seen the most scary "cattle grazing" sign on a gate! I kid you not that was the scariest thing, He is contrary :)

3 cars and a small van passed us and he never bothered. We walked, trotted and had our 1st ever canter. He hasn't even cantered on the lunge, he just does his huge welshy trot!
He had a few hilariously comfy bucks and I just giggled! Our steering to the left went abit out the window on a couple of occasions which is new but that's ok I know what to work on!

To say im proud of him is an understatement. He is 11, was cut late at 8, backed and ridden in a school at 6 then went into the sales ring where he bolted and was pulled out. Other than that he has sat in a field. So i completely re started him and not only was it our 1st hack but also his 1st hack so proud just doesn't even quite cover how I felt yesterday.

Anyway a total gushy i love love love my pony post! Here are photos from our ride :)

IMAG1969.jpgIMAG1968.jpgFB_IMG_1563788181886.jpgFB_IMG_1563785659499.jpgFB_IMG_1563785663134.jpgFB_IMG_1563785666634.jpgFB_IMG_1563785671914.jpgFB_IMG_1563785675773.jpgFB_IMG_1563785680428.jpg

Last edited:
And proud you should be! Well done both of you - massive achievement. From his ears, he was loving the stimulation of being out and drinking in all the sights and sounds. I'm sure this was the first of many. Lovely pics too!

• Love
Reactions: mystiquemalaika
It's only taken 5 months but yesterday i finally braved going out the field and for a hack on Comet. I've been worried sick I'd let him down as he does need you to be confident. Anyway we had an amazing time!

Seen all sorts! 2 pigs, cows, heard 1700 pigs, a cherry picker, went over a railway line, under a railway line, met mum, dad and the dogs. Seen the most scary "cattle grazing" sign on a gate! I kid you not that was the scariest thing, He is contrary :)

3 cars and a small van passed us and he never bothered. We walked, trotted and had our 1st ever canter. He hasn't even cantered on the lunge, he just does his huge welshy trot!
He had a few hilariously comfy bucks and I just giggled! Our steering to the left went abit out the window on a couple of occasions which is new but that's ok I know what to work on!

To say im proud of him is an understatement. He is 11, was cut late at 8, backed and ridden in a school at 6 then went into the sales ring where he bolted and was pulled out. Other than that he has sat in a field. So i completely re started him and not only was it our 1st hack but also his 1st hack so proud just doesn't even quite cover how I felt yesterday.

Anyway a total gushy i love love love my pony post! Here are photos from our ride :)

View attachment 99225View attachment 99226View attachment 99227View attachment 99228View attachment 99229View attachment 99230View attachment 99231View attachment 99232View attachment 99233
And a wee video of my blabbering away! Hopefully I've done it right :)

Wonderful! Well done you. I'm trying to do the same with my 14 yr old who hasn't been backed for years before this year, although he has at some stage. I'm now in my 60s and not as confident as I once was. My elderly cob is safe and trustworthy, and I'm finding the prospect of riding out on a smaller, more agile chap quite a hurdle! Your pony is a stunner. Hope you have many, many happy adventures together.

• Love
Wonderful! Well done you. I'm trying to do the same with my 14 yr old who hasn't been backed for years before this year, although he has at some stage. I'm now in my 60s and not as confident as I once was. My elderly cob is safe and trustworthy, and I'm finding the prospect of riding out on a smaller, more agile chap quite a hurdle! Your pony is a stunner. Hope you have many, many happy adventures together.

Well done and what a lovely area to soak in all the sights.
I often think we notice more having a baby sometimes. They bring us back into the here and now and look about.

• Love
I'm still absolutely beaming from this! I am going out again tomorrow :)

Thank you everyone for the lovely replies <3

He certainly seemed to enjoy himself and his wee ears definetly looked happy. He has an epic walk and trot and is just such a happy soul bless him. Always does things with a smile on his face :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com