Feet in Stirrups (yet again!)

Jayneus

Jun 7, 2004
Beverley
Visit site
Hi Guys

Can somebody PLEASE give me some advice!! I started a new thread a while ago asking for advice on my foot position as when I was trotting my stirrups nearly always ended up and the back of my feet! I got some brilliant advice of some members and ever since (touch wood) I have not really had a problem with trotting. But now the exact same thing is happening when I canter!

Can someone PLEASE help me, I am at the end of my teather!

Thank you!

Same deal :) Don't grip with your knees; it brings your feet forward and your heels up.

I have some advice on riding the canter here:
http://lorienstable.com/articles/riding/500-learning_to_canter/

You will need to relax your body, and allow your lower back and seat to follow the motion. It's a motion different from trot and from walk, so it will again take some adaptation to learn to follow the motion.

Congratulations on the trot progress. If you can get it at trot, you can get it at canter. It's a learning curve. You'll make it :)

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go when I next canter! Since now I have a horse on half loan, I was speaking to Emma (his owner) about this and she has said that she will lunge me on Arthur without stirrups so I can get the postion of my leg better and she will also give me lessons to improve my confidence so all in all this is working out so far!

Thank you I will give you an update as soon as I can!:D

Also the things is Arthur who I ride needs spurs to drive him on as he doesnt like schooling, and at the moment I do not have any so I have to kick him on sometimes. When I get him trotting, I then start to sittting trot to get him into the corner and canter but he wont go so I then kick him on and thats when my stirrups go!! Like I say I will give it a try as trotting is not a problem anymore!!

A good exercise for getting your seat down in canter is to take your reins in your outside hand - assuming you are in an arena! - and swing your inside arm round backwards in a big circle, one circle to every 2 beats of canter.

Rather than take your legs off to give him a really good kick, you might see if you can use a crop instead. Kicking like that really isn't fair either for you or for him; if he's responding that badly to your leg, then it's better to just use something else :)

A lot of horses will respond well just because they can SEE you holding the crop. Some will respond to the sound of you slapping your own boot. Some will not respond before the tap with the crop--but hopefully, over time, you can get the horse to respond more to the leg aids, and use the crop less and less.

Update!!!!

Update:

I had my first 'proper' canter on Arthur last night after working without stirrups for a few lessons and guess what? It was MUCH better, I finally managed to keep my feet in the position they were supposed to stay in!!!!! It was also alot more comfortable for me (and Arthur) and he was responing to me alot better this time.

Thanks very much for your advice guys!!!!!:D

Don't be too quick to get on Arthur's case. The fact that he is going so slowly is because he's being kind to you.

He feels you are a bit off balalnce and won't bomb off while he feels you wobbling. AS your balance gets better and better I bet you'll find that your horse becomes more and more willing to go forwards with you. Sems you are finding this out already.

A lot of riding school horses get the blame for being lazy, when in actual fact they are trying to keep a badly balanced rider on board and need to be thanked for thier kindness.

:)

Once your balance from your seat improves your legs will happen all by them selves. Stop over concentrating on your legs and think what's happening in your seat, that's where most leg and upper body problems stem from.

HAve you been taught exactly how your pelvis and hips and lower back move in total harmony with the horse? ONce you understand how your body must match the moves of the horse things will come so much easier.

I'm not that badly balanced I dont think!! My instructor doesnt seem to think so, she said that I was improving alot over the past few weeks and I dont think she would say that if it wasnt true? Also the fact that Arthur is on half loan to me means we are both getting to know each other and what we are both like :(

Mind you though, I know that I still have alot to learn and I am sure we will get there eventually :D

I don't think that Wally was saying that you ride badly :) Just that there's a LOT to learn, and that everything takes practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get. But improvement isn't perfection; getter better doesn't mean you're done. You already said that, so I know you know it :) so don't take Wally's comments as harsh criticism; just realize that there is a mot more to learn.

And the more you know, the more you know that you DON'T know!

Gripping with your knees, by the way, often slows a horse down. So if you're gripping with your knees, and your heels are coming up, you're also constantly telling the horse to slow down, slow down, slow down.

The more secure you get in your seat the better you will ride all around. A secure seat allows you to use your legs properly, to hold them steady without gripping; a secure seat allows you to hold your hands steady, to keep from accidentally waving them about or yanking the horse's mouth.

I know, I went home last night and thought about it and I think I did take it the wrong way even though I understood what Wally was tyring to say!!! Sorry Wally!:D

I am getting better but definately wouldnt say I am there yet! But I am really enjoying myself and I think me and Arthur will make an even better partnership when we understand each other more!

newrider.com