Feeding Cushings pony

So do you think the TRH stim test is better than getting ACTH bloodwork pulled? Sounds like that is what you are saying. Very interesting about needing the 2 figures for the TRH test. Thanks for explaining.
Yes, The TRH stim is considered the gold standard test. The single ACTH is less likely to pick up borderline cases and has more potential for false positives. Both are testing ACTH levels, but the TRH stimulation tells you if the response to stimulation is normal (PPID causes abnormal response) so requires 2 vials of blood to be pulled one before anything as a baseline, one after TRH is given.

Borderline cases will often have a normal figure in the first test (of the 2 done together for TRH test) but an elevated number in the 2nd.

If ACTH is elevated it can indicate a clear case of PPID but stress could be causing it (it is a totally normal reaction for ACTH to increase during stress) ACTH in any form should never be tested after travel, after any other procedure, etc. even abnormal routine can cause an abnormal high if they are stressy about being kept in for example. This is one of the reasons why doing a single ACTH test can give more false positives.

This is my girls (negative) TRH stim results, you can see there’s a result for each of the bloods pulled and a reference range given for what is normal.
67971548-5E26-4513-BF3D-CD4C675CB082.jpeg

The veil can be eliminated with use of APF supplement, it's recommended by Dr. Ellenor Kellon who runs ECIR
I have not started my mare on prascend yet or the chasteberry. I did just start her on APF supplement to see if it makes her feel any better. Going to see how she looks and feels after a month or two on this.

I have not started my mare on prascend yet or the chasteberry. I did just start her on APF supplement to see if it makes her feel any better. Going to see how she looks and feels after a month or two on this.
The veil is caused by the prascend, and APF alleviates those symptoms. I don’t know of any studies using just APF to treat the symptoms of PPID.

newrider.com