feather problems

horsemadmandy

Sep 14, 2005
wootton bassett
Has anyone had success with treating mites in long feathers ? Has anyone seen neem oil work ?
legs sore so frontline not an option yet but want a good old recipe that works - thanks

My vet has said to clip the horse and to use 'frount line' the dog and cat flea spray. although he said the flea spray may work with out clipping him.

leave the hair on, smother the whole lot in pig oil & sulphur (if you don't know what that is, do a forum search - there's loads of info floating about, mostly from Coyote :D )

leave the hair on, smother the whole lot in pig oil & sulphur (if you don't know what that is, do a forum search - there's loads of info floating about, mostly from Coyote :D )

My father uses that on his shires and it is too mild to get rid of mites.

It would stop horses getting them tho.

It cleared the mites on my cob - feathers and tail - just mixed it up a bit stronger.
I'd definitely reccomend giving it a go, if nothing else it helps with heels, feather condition and cleaning!

It cleared the mites on my cob - feathers and tail - just mixed it up a bit stronger.
I'd definitely reccomend giving it a go, if nothing else it helps with heels, feather condition and cleaning!

Oh right thats good then actually We have always used pig oil and sulpure on shires and they have never had mites so maybe your right it might work. Its good stuff.

We use it on one of the mares that has sweet itch and it has help sooth it but not cure it maybe we should make it a bit stronger lol.

I think you may need to have the vet out to give the injections to actually get rid of the critters Mandy. I believe they have to have two, a week or two apart. Then I reckon you could prevent recurrence with pig oil and sulphur. You apply it every couple of weeks or so....

It will tarnish jewellery (black!) so remove any rings before you apply! They do come right again but it takes a few days....

Is Dectomax the cattle injection? My vet uses it for harvest mites, I think. Mate's cob was very successfully treated with the injection and now she clips all his feathers off-no more stamping.

newrider.com