Feather Care and Mites / Mud fever

Poor fellow!

Yes it does look like mud rash -Are there a lot of scabs? (it looks like there are)
Due to the yellow I would want a vet to see, as he might need antibiotics and pain killers!
If it's mud rash you'll need to get all the scabs off, which will be very sore for him, so you might have to do 2 sessions. I just use hibiscrub with cotton wool and warm water. Then keep the legs as clean and dry as possible and apply a barrier cream (I think a lot of people on here use pig oil and sulphur)

Poor fellow!

Yes it does look like mud rash -Are there a lot of scabs? (it looks like there are)
Due to the yellow I would want a vet to see, as he might need antibiotics and pain killers!
If it's mud rash you'll need to get all the scabs off, which will be very sore for him, so you might have to do 2 sessions. I just use hibiscrub with cotton wool and warm water. Then keep the legs as clean and dry as possible and apply a barrier cream (I think a lot of people on here use pig oil and sulphur)

Thanks we got all the scabby bits off last night and they looks heaps better. going to have another look at them tonight and I will post new pictures. I wanted them to be cleaned aired before calling the vet He's been transported from France so they've been festering under those feathers.. poor bugger.. He's not lame at all.

Use a barrier cream with zinc in it. It will help with healing.

Is there any way you can clip the hair off shorter as you really need to get it under control and shorter hair will dry quicker and ventilate better. I'm sure he feels heaps more comfortable already though, just from what you've done so far. :)

Use a barrier cream with zinc in it. It will help with healing.

Is there any way you can clip the hair off shorter as you really need to get it under control and shorter hair will dry quicker and ventilate better. I'm sure he feels heaps more comfortable already though, just from what you've done so far. :)

We're going to finish clipping him tonight as he litally came off the lorry from France and we jumped on him one person on each leg hacking the feathers of there really thick

You need to thoroughly clip.....then wash with hibiscrub and make sure you thoroughly dry.

I would choose Sudocrem if I were you. See how you get on.

This is common with feathered types. My vet states that it is an allergy to something in the ground and will never be cured only prevented. It isnt always Mud Fever or Mites. The sudocrem will suffocate the mites and heal the sore area if it is. If its Mud Fever the cream will keep the mud away.

If you cant clear it up as your vet for an antibiotic injection.

Vet will quite likely give you cream to apply. Mine gave me rainscald powder which really helped. When it's gone, use a barrier like Pig oil and Sulphur and really coat him in it before turning out.

Echo the others: you do need to get down to the skin for this so you can put on any relevant cream/solution.

If it's really awful, ask the vet for the antibiotic injection: mine didn't even mention it and I could have used it cos Beau was really bad as soon as he was stabled at night, having always lived out til I got him.

It's very typical of cobby feathered types.

This is the improvement on his legs already! what I'm doing seems to be helping!!!

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

Hiya, definatly get the sulphur, Bo suffered last winter terribly (fine coated but had it up to his stifles) this autumn I got some sulphur (yellow sulphur from the garden centre) and mixed it with baby oil (couldn't get pig oil) and mixed it up and slathered it on for about 3 weeks, the just periodically when the fields were particually mucky and no sign of it at all this year. We also used it on my friends mare who was lame with it and it had it under control within a week.

Hiya, definatly get the sulphur, Bo suffered last winter terribly (fine coated but had it up to his stifles) this autumn I got some sulphur (yellow sulphur from the garden centre) and mixed it with baby oil (couldn't get pig oil) and mixed it up and slathered it on for about 3 weeks, the just periodically when the fields were particually mucky and no sign of it at all this year. We also used it on my friends mare who was lame with it and it had it under control within a week.

Thanks, I've got the Sulphur and pig oil coming today I am so pleased with the improvements already

Guess it is your personal choose to cut the feathers off, but I found I didn't have to. The PO & S takes care of the lot on mine. Just remember to apply to the legs/skin and not the hair. Its the skin that needs the PO & S so it can work. You don't have to pull the scabs off with the PO & S let that do the work. They will naturally lift off.

newrider.com