Favourite sound?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Just occurred to me today that after well over 60 years one of my favourite horse related sounds is still that short sharp sound of leather slapping together that is made by the stirrup leathers as you tug the irons down just before you mount to ride.....even today I still get a very slight frisson of excitement as I hear that very familiar noise that indicates once again I am about to ride.

Maybe that will be my indicator that it is time to hang up my boots, when I no longer feel that excited anticipation when I hear the noise! :p

So you have any horse related favourite noises apart from the usual chewing they hay or grass one? :)

I would disappoint then as I don't run my stirrups up. They are endurance and I just don't.
Favourite sound is probably the in season whispered nicker. You have to be standing beside her to here it. It's very faint but means ' any chance then' :rolleyes:

I would give (almost) a million dollars to hear my mare whinny or even nicker to me as a greeting. Dropped her off for borstal trying last night - went to visit & lunge her today, no noise of acknowledgement whatsoever!! No even a "chuff off!"

I would disappoint then as I don't run my stirrups up. They are endurance and I just don't.
Favourite sound is probably the in season whispered nicker. You have to be standing beside her to here it. It's very faint but means ' any chance then' :rolleyes:

This but ale will do it if he thinks I've got a treat for him. Sometimes you can't even hear it to start with just see his sides wobbling. I love hearing it it's so gentle and cute.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I would give (almost) a million dollars to hear my mare whinny or even nicker to me as a greeting. Dropped her off for borstal trying last night - went to visit & lunge her today, no noise of acknowledgement whatsoever!! No even a "chuff off!"
But you have stopped acknowledging her haven't you?
Mine is rarely vocal, she will be this morning as we have temporary moved.

Ziggy's little "I've been good" whuff when he thinks he deserves a treat.
I don't treat on the whole. But mine manages to nudge the tack room if you are eating her apples. So sharing some does get that low nostril rumble sound.

You must be younger and stronger than me Cortrasna. My stirrup leathers dont snap. I guess I do everything very gently. Or am too deaf. Or perhaps stitched leathers dont snap?
But I can assure you Cortrasna you wont be too old - I dont feel excited so much as very lucky. I wanted to ride for so long that I know how lucky I am.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Found another one when I took them from their starvation night paddock to their few hours of grass paddock this morning....they are all loose led, just open one gate, they fly past the house and into the day paddock and the sound of my silly little donks as their tiny hooves fly across the yard and the sound of them farting loudly
as they buck their way happily into the grass meadow! Such clowns and always manage to summon up a delighted fart in anticipation of stuffing their fat little faces! :p:D

newrider.com