Favorite treats/recipies

Pears are Fine!

I on a ranch and we have 55 acres of pears, they are great for horses. i feed them to them whole, My Appy mare likes to chomp them in 3 bites and then drools all over me as she chews it. Pears are fine to give your horse!:)

I've tried to feed my horse lots of different fruits and vegetables, but he's just very boring about his food - he only eats carrots!

I tried apples, watermelon, mango, cherries, grapes, turnips, but all he eats are carrots, oh and these disgusting tasting little fruits that fall off a tree in the clubs quadrangle.

I even stewed pumpkin to mix with his food one time and he totally turned up his nose!

Oh well, carrots are cheap! :D

laura jeanne: yep, that's exactly what they are, polo mints. They're the shape of a ring doughnut but much smaller - about 1cm in diameter, they come in 3 flavours: original, spearmint and citrus, and they are "the mint with a hole"!

wat r polos? i thought that was a game?

my horse LOVES anything. he'll even eat nilla wafers and animal crackers! i usually give him Nicker Makers and/or Harvest Hearts (i font know the brand name but there r also Super Stars, some kind of square treats that r different mint flavors, and a new kind that has flaxseed in it.)

i also give him watermelon, cucumber, umm....carrots, nectarines, and apples. i think i have given him a banana before but i dont know if he ate it or not. if he didnt then i gave it to another horse.

where r some of the recipes yall found? do yall have recipes?

~Rachel

oops someone has already asked that question. i live in GA i have never heard of them.

i didnt read all the way to the bottom so i didnt see that ? asked.

oopps ill guess ill read more next time

~Rachel

:eek: You guys don't know about polos? Wow... :D (No offense, of course) The horses at our old stables were very boring, just eating polos and Carrots. Can't you make your own 'ice lollies' for horses when its really hot? Water, their fave fruit, and a freezer! I don't really know if it works though!

Last edited:
Sorry, basically its a tub of ice with various bits of fruit in it... Like icecream, but with out the cream and sugar. They do them for zoo animals sometimes, when it's so hot that they can't cope. Not that I'm comparing horses to zoo animals! Also, it takes a while to defrost/melt and keeps them busy!

there have been several horse deaths lately due to chocolate:(
bananas can be fed to horses but not too many as they can not handle all the potassium[sp].
bread is another thing you should not feed to horses.
we feed apples[not cooking as harmful in large amouts]/carrots/mints/bananas/turnip[without the peel as horses should not eat it]horse treats & we have large field licks in with them which they love:D

newrider.com