Fat or in Foal??

One of our vets really doesn't seem to like horses, and seems very nervous around them, even good old Ramsey, who wouldn't say boo. He's one of the partners too! I doubt he'll have much luck with Hogan! I get how you felt though - when you're edgy and worried it's hard to be firm, and push an issue. Hope you get the advice and treatment needed.
if you get a vet like that and some of ours don't do horses and i try to avoid having them, they set everyone off as they are expecting trouble. If you aproach a horse to take their temp tentatively then you know it won't go well. I just walked up to her gave her a good scratch and did it, no one there to help me. Could have done it on the day but he was in a tizz about her so left it. I know my gang, i can tell you exactly who will do what. And if i say they are ok, they are. The filly makes faces but she doesn't go further than that. Tintin runs off and will drag you as he is scared. Aimee will know you over if you are doing her teeth as at 8hh you have to kneel and she walks over the dentist but he laughs. Suze is now very good with everything, my main issue is convincing the vets that knew her when she was terrified that she is a good citizen. Krug is a model donkey and no trouble, Murphy donkey is a total sod and can't be trusted in ANY way. Buddy is generally perfect but hates the dentist.

Some of us don't get that luxury. You get the vet that comes, or the vet who is "on for that day and even then, he might not be doing "house-calls", so you might just get the vet that happens to be in the area that day.

But that is the way it is up here. And we don't have any choice either. We don't have any other vet practice!

Reactions: Sam_and_Cleggy
I am expecting a not in foal post Tuesday. I can't believe you still don't know.
Still dont know, chased up the vets today. No space for visits, bloods not returned this morning and they assured they'd call if they came back today before closing. Nothing. Obviously I'll keep an eye on her and could always call them out at the weekend, emergency rate if needed but hopefully not ?

Are you worried yours is in foal? Is she new to you? Any pics? x
I've just been writing it off as hay belly. I accidentally came to own this mare and didn't know whether I was going to euthanise, rehome, or keep her. It took 1.5 months to figure out ethanasia was unecessary (working with vets), this last month she was finally assessed by my trainer and that kind of sealed it that I tentatively may be keeping her. But she's been gaining weight all in her belly and your symmetrical comment has me worried. I snapped these pics of her yesterday morning and night.

Both Magic and Whisky needed to gain muscle and weight when I brought them home, so I've been doing the same feeding and supplements that I got the best results with, all feed and supplements are calculated to get each of my mares to their best weight (calculated by me and fine tuned by my vet). They are doing nothing for this mare, every bite of food goes straight to her belly. But she appears to be a QH/TB cross and I've seen TB's gain weight in strange ways but this is a little much.

Attachments

• Hfront.PNG
    Hfront.PNG
    264.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Hprofile.jpg
    Hprofile.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Hback78.jpg
    Hback78.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 17
I've just been writing it off as hay belly. I accidentally came to own this mare and didn't know whether I was going to euthanise, rehome, or keep her. It took 1.5 months to figure out ethanasia was unecessary (working with vets), this last month she was finally assessed by my trainer and that kind of sealed it that I tentatively may be keeping her. But she's been gaining weight all in her belly and your symmetrical comment has me worried. I snapped these pics of her yesterday morning and night.

Both Magic and Whisky needed to gain muscle and weight when I brought them home, so I've been doing the same feeding and supplements that I got the best results with, all feed and supplements are calculated to get each of my mares to their best weight (calculated by me and fine tuned by my vet). They are doing nothing for this mare, every bite of food goes straight to her belly. But she appears to be a QH/TB cross and I've seen TB's gain weight in strange ways but this is a little much.

Shes gorgeous ? How long have you owned her? Do you know where shes been? She looks very like my mare in the first and second pic, the huge belly when seen head on is the same. I keep swaying from thinking mine is in foal to thinking she isnt. I guess it's hard for yours if you dont know where yours has been prior to you and any window you could be looking at?

Any udder development?

Shes gorgeous ? How long have you owned her? Do you know where shes been? She looks very like my mare in the first and second pic, the huge belly when seen head on is the same. I keep swaying from thinking mine is in foal to thinking she isnt. I guess it's hard for yours if you dont know where yours has been prior to you and any window you could be looking at?

Any udder development?
Thank you! Unfortunately I do know where she has been. The last year she has been with a family that has 3 stallions and completely inadequate fencing. She is 16.2HH and the stallions are as follows: 12hh haflinger, 14hh buckskin QH type, and a 15hh palimino QH type (also is the father of the buckskin). From her udder/demeanor I would guess she is a maiden mare. She is approximately 19-26yo (conflicting info from vets vs previous owner). But Whisky is 26/27 (verified by vets and owner) and she went into heat right on schedule this summer. In the photos I included Whisky and Magic's udders. Whisky has had 5 foals and Magic's has had 1-2 foals. I did the calculations and technically if she went into heat at the same time as Whisky (or a month earlier) she is approximately 5-6 months pregnant. The months when pregnancy weight starts to show on a mare.

Attachments

• Hulaberryperhapsmaiden.jpg
    Hulaberryperhapsmaiden.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 8
  • WhiskyTeats5foals.jpg
    WhiskyTeats5foals.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
  • MagicTeats1-2foals.jpg
    MagicTeats1-2foals.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
Broodmares tend to belly as the muscles don't hold.
You might have a worm burden or a hay / grass belly which is excess gas.
Or a set of hooves inside.
From her udder and her demeanor I would guess she is a maiden mare.

That's a good thought to consider but I think a worm burden is unlikely but I'll definitely keep looking for other symptoms that could validate that. At this time there are none.

I've just started adjusting her diet but its going to take time for hay belly to disappear. And this thread has made me realize I want to put any speculation to rest but I'll be worried the next 2 weeks until the ultrasound.

From her udder and her demeanor I would guess she is a maiden mare.

That's a good thought to consider but I think a worm burden is unlikely but I'll definitely keep looking for other symptoms that could validate that. At this time there are none.

I've just started adjusting her diet but its going to take time for hay belly to disappear. And this thread has made me realize I want to put any speculation to rest but I'll be worried the next 2 weeks until the ultrasound.

It's awful when you start to worry it could be a pregnancy. Whatever you do, dont let the vets do bloods instead, or you'll be face with a longer wait like me ?

Reactions: Margie and Magic
Thank you! Unfortunately I do know where she has been. The last year she has been with a family that has 3 stallions and completely inadequate fencing. She is 16.2HH and the stallions are as follows: 12hh haflinger, 14hh buckskin QH type, and a 15hh palimino QH type (also is the father of the buckskin). From her udder/demeanor I would guess she is a maiden mare. She is approximately 19-26yo (conflicting info from vets vs previous owner). But Whisky is 26/27 (verified by vets and owner) and she went into heat right on schedule this summer. In the photos I included Whisky and Magic's udders. Whisky has had 5 foals and Magic's has had 1-2 foals. I did the calculations and technically if she went into heat at the same time as Whisky (or a month earlier) she is approximately 5-6 months pregnant. The months when pregnancy weight starts to show on a mare.
The udder won't mean anything until it bags surely.
My mare looks like the whiskey photo and hasn't ever had a foal. She's just got a decent milk bar.

• Wow
Reactions: Margie and Magic
It's awful when you start to worry it could be a pregnancy. Whatever you do, dont let the vets do bloods instead, or you'll be face with a longer wait like me ?
I'm so sorry that the vet sent out to you wasn't thorough in their examination. But I do appreciate you sharing your story, that's actually what motivated me to schedule a ultrasound.

Reactions: Sam_and_Cleggy
newrider.com