Fat cob and nasty comments

SirGrumpPants

Spelt name wrong oh dear!
Jan 18, 2008
Blackpool
Last night i was going to ride and there was people in the school and as i was stood off to the middle of the school doing girth etc i heard "...how fat.....laminitas" quite clearly it was about my share horse whos a cob and it really p*ssed me off iv been looking after him for a few months now and he is overweight but its quite obvious i know this and am taking measures to help it she is there at the same time as me and sees me ride most nights but it doesnt happen over night and i have only been working him till he is just starting to sweat as i dont want to be putting more stress on his joints, apparently more comments were made about the way he was going when he were riding as my friends friend told me as she was sat near them. The thing that annoys me most is i dont particularly agree with the way she keeps her horse but i dont make sly comments about the fact her horse is kept like some winning machine and never gets to see a field (or even a sandpaddock) apart from an hour here and there in summer (and this is at a stables where horses can live out 24/7 in summer and out during the day in winter) and she never takes her on a hack (unless from the stable to the school is now the new hacking) i never once said to her "oh yes im amazing im this and that" all i want to do is enjoy riding for the sake of it and maybe go to some shows in summer for some fun and becasue i only ride a 15hh fat cob it seems to give her the right to start slagging me off, also another time me and my friend were in the school riding she walked in walked round then said to someone stood at the door (my friends BF heard her as he was sat next to the door) "im not riding with these f***ing idots".

Anyway i just had to have a moan lol anyone else got stable b*tch stories!

Just try and ignore this nasty piece of work. Most livery yards have one of these (ours used to, but she left, thankfully!) - the rider who thinks that everyone who has a horse for pleasure, isn't worth acknowledging, even worse if said horse is not olympic standards fit or overweight! God forbid!!

You sound like a very caring person, doing your best to get your cob fit the right way - slowly so as not to stress his joints etc. Unfortunately, and I am speaking from experience here, it takes a good few months to get an overweight horse fit and and at an ideal weight, you need time and patience, which you obviously have.

If I were to hear her making any further derogatory remarks about either your horse or yourself, I would remind her that most yards have a policy of zero tolerance on gossip, hearsay and critcising people or their horses and if she continues then you will report her to the Yard Manager.

Stupid woman.

Whilst they sound like they are not nice people, and I wouldn't listen to any of their nasty comments, it might be worth you thinking about laminitis? Just to be aware of it. It sounds like from what you say your cob is out most of the time, mine used to be, until he had an acute attack and was off work for over a year. He was only out for 5 hours on a well grazed paddock too. Unless you're working your cob for 5 or 6 hours a day (which of course you shouldn't do as it'd be cruel and put too much stress on his joints) then it's unlikely you'll get him any thinner through exercise, so you may have to look at some form of mild dietary restriction if you do want him to lose weight - grass is chock full of sugar remember. It turns out that my horse had had laminitis in the past with a previous owner, and it was probably the reason he'd been a bit "off" the few days before the acute attack although the vet I called out didn't spot it - hence why I'm now paranoid and at the moment my cob gets no grass at all.

Please don't think I'm being nasty, I'm not, and those people sound like horrible people, just wanting to make sure nothing like what happened to me happens to anyone else.

Thanks for the support! Usually i can put up with these comments or laugh them off but i think it was more the fact that she was saying it as if we didnt care hes overweight and it might affect his health when clearly both his owners and i love him very much and only want the best for him. I wish i had said something but there was quite a few people and im not one for confrontation but next time i think i will!

oh, God, if i had a pound for every time i've heard those comments, id have 10 horses by now! (jus 1's enough as it doesnt work like that) It took me about 6 months to get my cob fit, and to get condition and top line its taken about 2 years!!
Just ignore them and dont let them put you off!

Whilst they sound like they are not nice people, and I wouldn't listen to any of their nasty comments, it might be worth you thinking about laminitis? Just to be aware of it. It sounds like from what you say your cob is out most of the time, mine used to be, until he had an acute attack and was off work for over a year. He was only out for 5 hours on a well grazed paddock too. Unless you're working your cob for 5 or 6 hours a day (which of course you shouldn't do as it'd be cruel and put too much stress on his joints) then it's unlikely you'll get him any thinner through exercise, so you may have to look at some form of mild dietary restriction if you do want him to lose weight - grass is chock full of sugar remember. It turns out that my horse had had laminitis in the past with a previous owner, and it was probably the reason he'd been a bit "off" the few days before the acute attack although the vet I called out didn't spot it - hence why I'm now paranoid and at the moment my cob gets no grass at all.

Please don't think I'm being nasty, I'm not, and those people sound like horrible people, just wanting to make sure nothing like what happened to me happens to anyone else.

No i dont think your being nasty thanks for the advice, he is out most of the day and in at night which will be doing through summer as well at the moment the fields dont have that much grass but i am worried come summer once the fields have been rested, before i started sharing him he got quite limited excercise and he has lost a bit of weight since i started riding him so i am hoping that with regular exercise it should get more off, with only sharing him though (and its not been a long time) and not wanting to upset his owners i dont really want to suggest any big changes and unfortunately the yard we are on dont really cater for the weight challenged horses so he has to go in the field that all the geldings go in rather than one with less grass which would be better for summer as i am a worried!

I wouldn't listen to their nasty comments. If they had genuine concern for your horse they would speak to you properly. But, I just want to say that being overweight is a real health issue and if you are not having success in shifting the weight then evaluating your horse's diet and restricting grazing is probably a good idea.

I know how you feel! I think every yard have the bitchy ones, i think the horse world is pretty bitchy because everyone wants to come across as a good horse owner so put other people down.
When I had my last pony my YO constently made harsh comments about him. Once when we went to my first outing at a XC day he got really stressed out in the box. He wasnt naughty just scared. I heard her say 'I don't know why she hasnt got rid of him. She can alway ride (my YO crazy horse who she is always making out is fabulous) instead'. I just felt like saying 'I DONT WANT TO RIDE YOUR STUPID HORSE'... but of course i didnt :p:eek:

The best think to do is to just rise above it. You know yourself that your doing the best for your horse and thats what matters.

:)

ugghhhhhh. i have no time for people like that.

i get it all the time aswell.
i cant even do anything about getting bonnie fit because i share her and her owner makes all the decisions. i can only ride 3 times a week.
if i could ride more i would :p

it no fun hearing that stuff but hey just try and ignore it.

-xo.

How mean some folk are!!!! I have had thoughtless comments about my mare from people - yes, she was overweight and yes, I am doing something about it! It wasn't easy for a long time tho, as there was no turnout and I was unable to ride her for a long time. Plus, she is a good doer and I had a lot to learn on that score. Plus, the weight just doesn't drop off overnight - it takes time. She is getting there now tho - but I am a bit sensitive about comments like that. They don't sound like nice people tho, fancy saying they wouldn't ride with ***idiots - how rude!!!

OMG!

Been there and dont that and it really annoyed me too!

I have a lovely big coloured clydie cross who everyone admires. It feels soooo lovely to have people stop us on the common to get their kids photos taken with him.

So I got myself a share horse - almost 2 years ago - and she was huuuuuuuuuuuuuge, obese cob.

I posted many an update on here about her.

I was sick of not only people at the yard saying OMG she is sooo fat - she is a cruelty case! No snide remarks this was straight out loud at the top of her mid thirty year old voice - amongst others!

I was doing my best!

Then we were out hacking with my OH and love coops and we passed a fishing lake. some kids came running over to say hello - coops was first - 'oh what is his name, he is lovely etc etc...

Then they looked at my share and said 'OMG! That horse is so fat! Why is she so fat miss?!'

:eek:

You just have to ignore them and do your best.

Thankfully I have a lovely loan pony who although is a good doer she is looking smashing! :D

I suspect they are wanting to get across how fat your horse is but don't have the guts to come out and say it- many people react badly when told their horses are obese;) Seeing a genuinly fat horse is always worrying and as far as they are consernced, you may think he's MEANT to look like that:eek: (there are plenty of people who do:()

Rather then getting ****ed off (which won't solve anything) agree with them. 'God, I know, he's seems to live on thin air:rolleyes: . Mind you, he's none to pleased with me right now - strict diet, lots of exercise. He WILL be thin by the summer'. Make a joke of it, include what you're doing to get the weight of him etc. The comments will quickly stop and more likely become complements on how well he's looking now he's lost weight.

goshh,
i dont get why people have to talk about other peoples horses in such a nasty way,
i think you have to ignore it and you know you will prove them wrong in the long run;

i think people should keep there thoughts to themself.

hmmm.
gosh so much bi*tching
going on lately
and its make them look small cos there scared to say it to your face.

IGNORE IT THOUGH HUN

xxxxxx

newrider.com