excises for the newly brokin-in horse?

santana

*santana~chanelly~honey*
Oct 12, 2005
south island ,new zealand
i have got a saddle that fits my stally santana, and hes now going really well, i was hopein that someone has some great excises for a newly brokin-in horse ?
hes geting good at balanceing me, so i wanner start keeping him busy as he does think up lots to do, (he chases calfs when hes bored and when i leave him in with them .... i dont ever do that now) aslo without doing too many circles, hes in a bitless and we are both loveing it and WILL stay with it, hes 5 1/2 so i can do alot without pushing him....
pics of riding him in a rope halter

good way to start the day
.jpg

nice bend and getting alot of balance with me
mongsridden040.jpg

and a great way to finsh the day
mongsridden021.jpg

thanx
rosie

Very gorgous horse!!! Love the colouring :)

Are you trotting him yet?? If so, I would suggest walk-trot, trot-walk trasitions, walk-halt transitions etc .. Breaks are always important :)

How about a trotting pole or two? Nothin massive, but you can walk over, inbetween then, diagonally over, back up over one etc .. :)

Good luck - any more photos? He is a stunner!!

Second Cheeky's ideas. there's lots you can do without going fast or being horribly technical. Teaching him to move away from the leg is important. First from the ground, and then on board. You want to be able to move his front end (shoulders) sepratly from his back-end (quaters). it's extremely usefull (for gates etc) and something that will keep him occupied without physically taxing him. Rein back is also very useful.

What you're really aiming for is a horse thats a pleasure to ride - sensitve to the hand and leg, and moves over and away at the lightest touch. I'd much prefer a horse like that than a poncy dressage horse that looks nice but leans and is like a tank to ride.;)

i went for a ride just before but i think when i put his bitless on i must have touched his ears to much (hes a little head shy ... we are working on it) and after that he would not listen, and it was raing, probley not the best time to ride, we had a battle of paince and i won but he did alot of stoping and starting (he knew he was being bad), so after i got him a bit better behaved i was doing: walk- stop and then back up-stop but i dident dare trot (he can trot and once i have canted him behind another horse ) he was too hyped up, (and im too chickin... i have seen him gallop in the paddock, he should have been a race horse....:D )

ok tommrow when/if i get back on (i might have to go into town) ill do some trotting and walking over jumps...

more pics of him... what do you want them of lol,
with a rider on sorry thats them all but .... (im lookin lol)
ok heres one but u may have seen it
389430468QclFHv_fs.jpg

thanx
rosie

sorry i have no more of him with a rider lol, it was too wet last night to take pics ....
thanks i loved the pink gumboots too, when i had them but have walked them to the ground lol
rosie

Last edited:
newrider.com