Hannah Kate

Jun 15, 2017
14 year old ex racehorse has been diagnosed with mild arthritis in his nearside stifle.

Some days obviously mildly lame in walk once trotted he's fine again. He does drag a toe every now and then nothing too often.

Vet has given him Bute which as of yet I haven't needed with him a light weight rug keeping his hind end warm seems to help more then anything.

Just wondering if strengthening the area would help? Riding more as that tends to keep him supple-but would it do more damage long term? He's only currently used for flat work and the occasional small cross pole as for 6 months we have had no where to ride.

Others experiences with stifle arthritis?

Injections were suggested but 4/5 of the vets Ives spoken to (very prestigious equine hospital) didn't think they'd work too well with him as he raced for over 9 years.

Is Bute the way to go? Any other supplements that might help (possibly cheaper-if not I'll find a way to get the money for them)

My horse has mild arthritic changes in his left fore. Not enough to need medication though. Both vet and Physio have advised the best thing is to keep him moving, but not too much trotting on roads and no repetitive small circles (i.e. lunging).

Reactions: Hannah Kate
No experience of stifle arthritis but being arthritic myself can agree that movement is key, nothing to strenuous though. I think devils claw is supposed to be good but I guess it depends on how bad he is.

The vet will be in the best position to advise, having seen the xrays, as to what he can/can't do depending on the specific location and extent of the arthritis.

My Anglo arab damaged the meniscus in his stifle, which did heal, and I was told that to keep him sound for as long as possible (subsequent arthritis was almost for certain) I should avoid tight turns, hard stops and jumping and to focus on keeping him balanced and strong to support the joint.

Is this the same horse as the one in your other posts or new one?
Perhaps you could introduce them and yourself to us. :)

Reactions: carthorse
Is this the same horse as the one in your other posts or new one?
Perhaps you could introduce them and yourself to us. :)
Yeah this is the same horse, out of all of ours he raced the longest and has had the most issues as a result.

He's definitely a horse I'm keeping for the rest of his days, he's a quirky horse (lots of thigs stress him out!) and he's got multiple issues (poor hooves after multiple abscess that were ignored as he was being let down, a broken back hoof pastern angle-natural balance shoes are helping, he has a saddle fitted to him-checked by 2 master saddlers but still panics when being saddled- he has a large scar from a saddle sore as a youngster in training, and now his stifle arthritis causing tight hamstrings)

The list could probably go on. He's such a gentle giant and has a heart of gold! Scorched Son really is my favourite horse of all of ours (shouldn't have favourites but I've fallen for him!) his willingness even through his problems is amazing.

We have now put him on Bute for exercise and he's coping pretty well! His hamstrings are loosening with work and stretches (only done when he's had his Bute), he's on glucosamine (human tablets vets suggested as they are cheap as chips in comparison), all lunging has stopped and he is now long reined or free schooled when there is no time to ride. Our new land had no arena but a brand new 20x40 arena with sand and rubber surface should be complete next weekend. We chose rubber as we are pretty much on a cliff so the beach winds would completely ruin a carpet fibre school :(

Jumping is off limits 100% for a very long time and well stick to very low cross poles if ever he's upto jumping.

Trotting poles and backing him up are really helping keep his stifles supple.

He is in a rug as soon as it rains as he tenses and gets stiff if he's not rugged.

He also has 9 rugs ready for the winter (he had a few last year but he's got plenty for all weathers now (summer sales are fantastic!) all turnouts have necks

Fly sheet
Light weight rain sheet
Medium weight turnout
Heavyweight turnout
200g liner
Fleece (travelling etc)
Thermatex
Light weight stable rug
Quilted stable rug

I have stable rugs but to help his arthritis he'll be out as much as possible 24/7 turnout out, stable rugs are just in case he's lame and needs box rest.

Will definitely get around to introducing some of my lot (would take weeks if I were to introduce them all so I'll stick to my main bunch when I do it- first and still great pony, very ancient falabella, rescue falabella and of course more about Scorched Son aka Seamus)

I have Storm on nutraquin plus for her arthritis / stiffness and have to say it is amazing. She's 21 and retired due to injury and I have to balance limited turnout at night with keeping her comfy and sound. Can't say enough good things about nutraquin, it's expensive whilst going through the loading dose phase but after that it works out fairly economically. The results have amazed me, she walks out of her box in a morning a totally different horse from the stiff shuffly old girl I was having doubts about how to keep going.
https://www.nutravet.co.uk/horses/nutraquin-plus-450g

Nutraquin is supposed to be excellent, it's what my vet recommends. I'm a huge fan of alternative therapies such as magnets. You might also want to take a look at the arc equine unit. Some positive results with horses with arthritis.

Nutraquin is supposed to be excellent, it's what my vet recommends. I'm a huge fan of alternative therapies such as magnets. You might also want to take a look at the arc equine unit. Some positive results with horses with arthritis.

I have nutraquin plus for Storm and the results have been AMAZING:D
She has gone from a shuffle if kept in for any length of time, to a real loose springy step. Can't recommend it enough:)

newrider.com