err whoops short-term memory malfunction

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Boss's mum went out at 6pm and asked me to put the dinner in the oven at 6.15. Could I remember that, she said sarcasically (knowing that I am awful when it comes to remembering ovens and stuff)... "I think I can manage it" was my equally sarcastic reply.

7pm and I'm in the shit... :redface: Sat down for 2mins to do something else, lost track of time and totally forgot to do what it was I was meant to be doing. Anyone else have this problem??!

Hahahahaa, a late supper then at your place?! Lol, OH and I once went shopping years ago and thought we were going to be coming back to a gorgeous roast - knew something wrong when I opened the front door and there was no delicious aroma coming from anywhere............yep, hadn't switched oven on. Boo hiss.

While sorting my bag out this morning I was thinking to myself 'I must remember to take my laptop to work' put on my coat, picked up my bag, went downstairs... Yep you guessed it... Forgot to pick up my laptop

At least I remembered before I got to the train station this time! :eek:

Haha omg I am so guilty of this!!!

We baked a simnel cake at easter, needed to put marzipan on top and grill for a minute or so until lightly browned...umm que me getting distracted (probably by NR) and then only realising something was wrong when smoke was bellowing from the oven and the collie dog was desperately terrified and trying to get out the front door!! Oops!!

Now I know why I have OCD about so many things, IT'S SO EASY TO FORGET STUFF!!! Lol, I am terrible of an evening when bedtime comes, I check that the oven is switched off at least twice, and don't even get me started on the other things like is the alarm clock set......hahahahahhaaaa................

ALWAYS!! But my tendency is to be too patient with cooking things. I remember to put the oven or hob on, but forget to take the food back out after its cooked. So it ends up black. I get distracted as well!

Oh hell - I do this sort of thing all the time! And I have to confess I was so concerned a few months back (and thinking of my advancing years) I actually asked my GP about it as I felt sure dementia was probably setting in. :redface:

She very kindly did the Alzheimer test with me and I am very happy to say I scored 100 per cent. So now I just accept that I am a bit dippy and away with the fairies a lot of the time!:redcarded:

Well I am 27 so I'm hoping it's not dementia :redface: Thing is it really is just domestic-related stuff with me. At work I can mentally juggle 10 things at once!

Well I am 27 so I'm hoping it's not dementia :redface: Thing is it really is just domestic-related stuff with me. At work I can mentally juggle 10 things at once!

Oh that is perfectly acceptable IMO. My family tell me I have selective amnesia......if it is mundane and doesn't interest me then I don't allow it to impinge on my more interesting thoughts and concerns! I never forget a damn thing if it is to do with my little herd or my dogs!:bounce:

I think you need to develop a more defensive method of response when asked to do domestically challenging things - how about "it sounds foolproof....I'll do my best" :mstickle: Just think of it as managing expectations (hee hee)!!

Yes I have done it tonight! Meant to do the ponies at five so I could get back and get husbands tea ready as he goes shooting on Thursdays.

Oh dear got totally absorbed in something else, running 3/4 hour late. Then my sister phoned, whom I haven't spoken to in ages, so I could hardly put her off.

Looks like he is leaving the shooting tonight, oh dear.

My most classic was the first Sunday in our new home when we first met.

My husband and his brother went to the pub expecting a roast dinner on their return.

Me and my sister in law couldn't work out how to use the oven, so we just sat and chatted and drank a litre of wine between the pair of us.

No dinner that day lol.

newrider.com