Equine Sports Massage at Writtle College - Anyone done it

CL66

Equine Dental Technician
Jul 26, 2007
Question in title really, has anyone done, or know anyone who's done the sport massage course at Writtle college in Chelmsford. It's held by Equinenergy Ltd.

Any views, good or bad please (or pm if you'd prefer)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have done it, doing my externship at the mo.
Loved it, but not easy at all! Course is very intense and lots of work to do afterwards if you want to qualify (apparently 80% of people that do course don't finish externship)
xx

Thanks for that.

Did you just do EBW and are completing the 6 months externship or have/are you doing EBW II? And do you know if you're then qualified enough to be IEBWA accredited?

I'm just umming and aaahhing as to what course to do, and also looking at theicat in Devon.

Oh, and did you stay local during the course or commute? I guess Harold Wood, while not too far, could be hideous traffic wise!!

Sorry for all the Questions!! :)

I have just done the EBW cause I needed it to do my masters (McTimoney animal spinal manipulation - start in March) so am 2 and a half months in to my externship.

Mite do EBWII next year if I can afford it. I think you can be IEBWA accredited whilst still doing externship for EBW (they had t-shirts etc for sale ot course but you had to be a member to buy them).
I commuted, I did my degree at Writtle so had been doing the drive everyday for 3 years so was used to it. lol.

I would recommend staying there tho cause there is so much evening work I struggled to keep up with having to drive home, do my horse, housework etc. lol.
Didn't look at anyothers tbh knew writtle was easy for me. (On very limited funds so couldn't afford to stay away).
How comes you doing it? x

I'm training to be an EDT and wanted to do sports massage as well to have a few 'strings to my bow' and thought it would be brill to train to do just for my and my horses benefit regardless of how i may use it in future. But the main plan will be to use it as part of my business.

Thanks for all your info, it's hard to get testimonials :D

With regards to the Equine Sports Massage - is this a full time course or can it be done part time/evenings/weekends etc?

:)

As far as i can gather it's a 5 day intensive course. Not sure if there are any other ways of doing it. Google equinenergy and have a look at their website to see.

Its a 9 day course very intensive with loads of work to do after within 6 months.
Muscle labelling (putting stickers on a patient horse), gait analysis, loads of massage and paper work and a video of your massaging to be marked. eek. not looking forward to that. So you can fit the externship in around your 'normal' life.

Really enjoyed it but BIG tip learn the muscles before you go. The pack they send you to learn before says you dont have to but it would have made the whole course easier and far more enjoyable as I was so stressed trying to learn all the latin names!!
x

newrider.com